Landing light options

Old March 2nd 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Landing light options

And, no filament to break. They're warrantied for thousands of hours,
just like the Boom Beam.

Just curious: Do you fly with them on all the time?

Absolutely.

That would be invaluable in high-traffic areas.

I know we are MUCH more easily spotted by ATC with our wing-mounted landing
lights than we were back with the single nose-mounted Piper model. It must
be orders of magnitude better with the HID lighting.

I wonder if I could get field approval to mount them in the wings, using my
Skycraft "nacelles" (or whatever you call where the light bulbs are
mounted...)?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 3rd 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:

I wonder if I could get field approval to mount them in the wings, using my
Skycraft "nacelles" (or whatever you call where the light bulbs are
mounted...)?

They come in par 36 size bulbs. They have a ballast supply mounted on
the end rib of the wing. Apparantly now also you can get them to blink
alternately on and off. I heard it may shorted the life of the bulb,
also that it doesn't. ??? I didn't bother with that though. $$

The cheapest I have seen them is 380 for bulb and ballast.

If you got lights there now, should be little problem for you.

John

Old March 3rd 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:
And, no filament to break. They're warrantied for thousands of hours,
just like the Boom Beam.
Just curious: Do you fly with them on all the time?

Absolutely.

That would be invaluable in high-traffic areas.

Yes, this is one reason I had to install them. I don't fly at night all
that much.

I know we are MUCH more easily spotted by ATC with our wing-mounted landing
lights than we were back with the single nose-mounted Piper model. It must
be orders of magnitude better with the HID lighting.

I wonder if I could get field approval to mount them in the wings, using my
Skycraft "nacelles" (or whatever you call where the light bulbs are
mounted...)?

I'm sure the process will be just as smooth as mine was with the light
mounted on the nose bowl. The bulbs are PAR36 form factor, same as the
4509/4522's you probably have in place now.

To boot, you could use the same wiring in place now, since the HID
lights use less power than the incandescent bulbs.

-jav
Old March 4th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:
It must
be orders of magnitude better with the HID lighting.

No. I have done tests with my hid and normal 4509 bulbs on my nose strut.

Somewhat better though.

Old March 5th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

It must be orders of magnitude better with the HID lighting.

No. I have done tests with my hid and normal 4509 bulbs on my nose strut.

Somewhat better though.

???

Aviation Consumer just did a side-by-side test, comparing all the HID lights
to each other, and to regular lights, and there was absolutely no
comparison. HID lasted hundreds of times longer, drew less power, and were
a zillion times brighter.

They are the "GPS of landing lights", according to everyone who has them.
Why do you say they are only "somewhat better"?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 5th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

B A R R Y wrote:
On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 02:48:33 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

They are the "GPS of landing lights", according to everyone who has them.
Why do you say they are only "somewhat better"?

Sorry I meant compared to Q4509s
They are waaay better than my 4509 on my nose strut. I have yet to
compare them to Q4509 I am going to put on. However see this from my
post of 2/20/06....

================
From Avtek======== http://www.avtek2.com/halogen_lights.htm

Test environment was a dark country road, power supply holding a consent
13.8 volts and a grove of trees 1/3 mile away. Judges were six
NON-Pilots with no bias at all as to the test results.

1) 4509 barely hit the trees and no details could be observed, due to
the "Yellowish light"

2) Halogen hit the trees, and details such as green leaves and branches
were seen. However the pattern was tight.

3) H-I-D hit the trees unlike Halogen, the H-I-D light-up the all the
Trees and nests could be seen. The light was Pure White

4) Q-4509 Hit all the Trees as with H-I-D but the light went further and
beyond to houses 3/4 mile away, in a wider pattern, and a deer was seen
in the field, not seen by the other lights.
================

I can post when I try it with Q4509s. If you are going to have thm on
all the time, hid is for sure the way to go. If the Q4509s are not close
to hid's I will order hids for my nose strutt also.

These Avtek guys sell both and say the Q4509 is perhaps better. But it
is still only a 100 hr bulb.

If the Qs work okay for me as a landing light, by that I mean at least
as bright as my hids, I will stop there. If they don't, I will go hid on
the nose strut. And have two Q4509s for sale cheap. My plane is a Seneca
I had the piper inflight recogntion lights already. They were small
halogen bulbs, no good in daylight. My airport is very dark at night.

If you like I will keep you posted....As the Light Burns....

John