Wood over Iowa

Old June 1st 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Wood over Iowa

Looking like a good soaring day here today. The current hope is to
have the Cherokee, Woodstock, Foka 4, and Ka-6 up today. Nothing like
throwing a bunch of wood up in the air. Will report back on the no
doubt epic flights that will be had.
Old June 2nd 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 1, 8:38 am, wrote:
Looking like a good soaring day here today. The current hope is to
have the Cherokee, Woodstock, Foka 4, and Ka-6 up today. Nothing like
throwing a bunch of wood up in the air. Will report back on the no
doubt epic flights that will be had.

Well it was a great day all around for everyone involved.

The Ka-6 got out on the first tow of the day and spent the day flying
circles (big circles) around the airport. The Foka 4 was the next out
followed by me in the Cherokee and Matt Michael in the Woodstock.
Matt and I team flew to the west northwest towards the Boone airport
and were joined by the Ka-6 for much of the 11 mile trip. Then he
headed off to the southeast while we explored a nice looking cloud
street. We were rewarded with 10 miles, directly into the wind, and
about a 1000 foot altitude gain, without turning! Finally over the
town of Boxholm we decided to go a little northeast to the next
street. We contacted the Foka, who had been up to Fort Dodge, 42
miles away from Ames, and he came over and flew with us back home. I
was easily above final glide so just worked the street with a slight
tailwind. For a 20 mile trip I lost only 1500-2000 feet of altitude.
Not too shabby! Matt had headed back to the northwest as the street
was still looking good while i turned over the airport and decided to
head to the north. By this time the Ka6 was already about 10 miles to
the north at a fair altitude and headed home. The foka had gotten
above me and was headed that direction. I set out to the north hoping
to grab another turnpoint and make it home in time for supper. As I
left the airport I found a little bit of lift and worked it for a
while, but then pressed on to the north. I was greeted with constant
400-600 fpm down. This was about 5:30 PM and many of the gliders in
the air were creeping back towards the airport as the day started to
wind down. It was obvious that alot of us were going to be landing
soon. I felt I was in a good position but finally when I was a few
miles north of the airport and down to 2000 AGL I decided to turn
back. I had been in pretty much the same position last week when I
got home so I wasnt too concerned. However I was unable to get out of
the sinking air into any workable lift. I started to circumvent the
city to keep landable options open as i had gotten below glideslope
for the airport. Finally I was down to 1000 AGL and was soon to give
up even staying aloft.

Ames has gotten about 8 inches of rain in the last week and flooding
is rampant everywhere. All of the fields in my immediate vicinity
were visibly muddy. Perfectly landable but not preferred if I had the
choice. I had a very nice concrete road immediately under me and I
had the chance to really scope it out as far as obstructions to
flight. I saw no wires, signs, and as I came in for the landing, no
traffic. So I took it. Heavy braking got me stopped quick and I was
well off on the shoulder before any cars got near. Soon a county
sheriffs deputy was there keeping me company and after a while the Ka6
and Foka pilots were there to help derig. and I still made it home in
time for supper.

Turns out that Matt Michael in the Woodstock got to cloudbase after
turning back from me, and worked out to about 20 miles north of the
airport and 8500 AGL!! Highest out of anyone for the day. He flew
right over top of me on his way to the airport and didnt even know it.

all in all a great day, with 9 individual gliders taking 12 tows.
Hopefully we can have many more like it for the rest of the season.

Old June 2nd 08, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 1, 8:56 pm, wrote:

On Jun 1, 8:38 am, wrote:

[...]

brad - we had a blast. Matt Michael and I nearly broke ribs at supper
we were laughing so hard.
Old June 2nd 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Sounds like you guys have about as much fun as my flying buddies and I
do.............after a day of cavorting amongst the Q, it's derig and
off to Pizza and Beer!

Say hi to Matt for me!

Brad

On Jun 1, 8:56 pm, wrote:

On Jun 1, 8:38 am, wrote:

[...]

we were laughing so hard.- Hide quoted text -

Old June 9th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Picture!

http://picasaweb.google.com/cherokee...29388938345986
Old June 13th 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jb92563

On Jun 8, 9:15*pm, wrote:
Picture!

http://picasaweb.google.com/cherokee...#5209729388938...

Great flight!

That picture looks like a candidate for a "Create a Caption" contest.

I can see why you took the road side landing option.....visibility for
miles...flat and no wires....nice.