Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

Old February 22nd 20, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Possible to convert Ventus Ct to Cm?

The engine and prop are different, you will need a completely different engine bay (much bigger). Also, the turbos are direct drive while the M versions are belt-driven. All in all I would say it does not make sense.
Old February 22nd 20, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, February 20, 2020 at 7:13:56 AM UTC-8, Mike N. wrote:
I am exploring the possibility of converting my Ventus Ct sustainer to Cm self launcher.

At this point just trying to determine if this is even feasible at a practical cost... ;-)

Anyway, just thinking out loud at this point.

Any information or help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike N.

Have you contacted Shemp-Hirth about doing this? That would be the very first step, IMO. Generally, these kind of projects turn out to be much more complex than you ever envision - might be easier to just sell your Ct and buy a Cm. Also, the resale value on such a conversion is problematic.

Tom
Old February 23rd 20, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

I really like my Ct, just looking for the added convenience of self launching.

As I noted in earlier posts I was kind of thinking out loud here, knowing it was likely not going to work.

So I appreciate the responses but I think this idea is dead for me.
Old February 23rd 20, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, 22 February 2020 21:18:10 UTC, wrote:
The engine and prop are different, you will need a completely different engine bay (much bigger). Also, the turbos are direct drive while the M versions are belt-driven. All in all I would say it does not make sense.

As well as that, it won't be simply a matter of cutting a bigger hole. There will be different reinforcement along the edge, and possibly thicker belts lower down inside.

Overall perhaps not quite impossible, but too much work to make it cost effective.
Old February 23rd 20, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Emir Sherbi

For me, of course, all the problems solves with electric motors. Is not the final solution, but is a solution.
If you don't mind much about the range reduction, you can migrate to an electric system. The hardest part is making the hole in the fuselage, something that you already have.

Regards
Old February 23rd 20, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Maybe....
Take Ventus CT and:
Change solo engine fro a single carburator to 2 carburators for max thrust-possible
Add throttle lever in cockpit-difficult
Start engine with a rope start or hand starting-maybe ? possible ? not easy
Jump into glider and takeoff-looks easy but..prop not efficient for low speed, very very long ground run, very low climb rate. Do you have a test pilot rating ?

To change CT engine to CM engine required a new pylon, larger opening in fuselage, add throttle lever in cockpit. Very difficult

Dan
Old February 23rd 20, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bert Van Eyken

I think it easier to score a totaled CM fuselage and convert it that way..