Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Old October 13th 20, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

Default Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Ya Know what would be / Is the ultimate Great Basin ship IMHO?
The EB 29
Kinda big at a 96' wingspan but the 68/1 LD would be nice.
I was in Ely several years ago when there were two there, one flown by a gent I think named John Bally? and his buddy. I checked those planes out, very well finished. Beautiful.
Those guys said they were very nice to fly.
Actually Bally had the 2 seat EB 28 and took my brother Mike XC in it.
I think Binder has been a leader in suppling other manufactures with complete ICE systems for a long time.
At Moriarity NM this spring Keith Essex said this plane was on his radar as his next ship, after he wore out his JS3.
Any guess's on what these go for all decked out with a metal Cobra?
Nick
Old October 13th 20, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Monday, October 12, 2020 at 8:52:22 PM UTC-4, Nicholas Kennedy wrote:
Ya Know what would be / Is the ultimate Great Basin ship IMHO?
The EB 29
Kinda big at a 96' wingspan but the 68/1 LD would be nice.
I was in Ely several years ago when there were two there, one flown by a gent I think named John Bally? and his buddy. I checked those planes out, very well finished. Beautiful.
Those guys said they were very nice to fly.
Actually Bally had the 2 seat EB 28 and took my brother Mike XC in it.
I think Binder has been a leader in suppling other manufactures with complete ICE systems for a long time.
At Moriarity NM this spring Keith Essex said this plane was on his radar as his next ship, after he wore out his JS3.
Any guess's on what these go for all decked out with a metal Cobra?
Nick

from a search of ras: "On Monday, April 4, 2016 at 9:23:07 AM UTC-6, krasw wrote:
PS the EB28 Edition and the EB29 are about $300,000 with trailer and
the usual equipment - neither have automatic control hookups - both gliders
are incredibly good climbers even when very heavy - the handling is superb
and they are a pleasure to fly - "

I searched on "eb29 glider price"
Old October 13th 20, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Tango Eight wrote on 10/12/2020 5:12 PM:
If you think there is such a thing as a quiet generator you are either indulging in wishful thinking at the expense of your neighbors or you need your hearing evaluated, or both. Maybe it doesn't matter at some uninhabitable hellhole of a soaring site, but it would sure kill the ambiance at most of the (beautiful, quiet, wonderfully suitable for tent camping) sites I frequent.

Have you listened to a Honda EU2200i? It's rated at 57dba at full output, which is variously
described as normal conversation or a refrigerator running. If you are sleeping right next to
the glider being charged, it might seem loud (haven't tried it), but a 100' away, probably not.
But, I don't support running them at night, but between 7 am and 10 pm, or similar, so there is
a quiet time at night. Based on my flying, where I typically use the ASH26E engine for just the
launch, a similar electric glider would only need an hour of charging, so easily done in the
morning while preparing for the day's flight.

Old October 13th 20, 10:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matthew Scutter

On Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 3:42:43 AM UTC+2, Dan Daly wrote:
[...]

Last I heard the price was nearer 400k all in.
They do make an EB29E though with an electric engine and allegedly 3000m of climb. It can't take the new R wings though.
The best electric glider I ever flew was the Arcus E. I wish the concept had been developed further. Some newer/higher density batteries, and a few more evolutions of the Lange control systems would be the ultimate system in my opinion.
Old October 13th 20, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

It's not about "loud", Eric, it's about "peace and quiet".

On a still morning at New Castle, anyone with decent hearing will hear it at a 1/2 mile and it will not enhance the experience. At someplace like Hobbs or Ephrata, maybe one doesn't care as much.

T8

Old October 13th 20, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Have you listened to one? If it ran after 8 am, would it still be offensive?

You are right that it would not bother people at Ephrata, Hobbs, Parowan, Ely, or Minden, and
most of the places I fly. It's been a long time since I've been to Newcastle, so tell me: is
power available for several gliders to tie down where they could recharge from hangar outlets?
Could they be parked at one end of the tiedowns, far enough away that 57 dba generators would
not annoy people after 7 or 8 am?

Eric

Old October 13th 20, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

On Monday, October 12, 2020 at 5:52:22 PM UTC-7, Nicholas Kennedy wrote:
Ya Know what would be / Is the ultimate Great Basin ship IMHO?
The EB 29
Kinda big at a 96' wingspan but the 68/1 LD would be nice.
I was in Ely several years ago when there were two there, one flown by a gent I think named John Bally? and his buddy. I checked those planes out, very well finished. Beautiful.
Those guys said they were very nice to fly.
Actually Bally had the 2 seat EB 28 and took my brother Mike XC in it.
I think Binder has been a leader in suppling other manufactures with complete ICE systems for a long time.
At Moriarity NM this spring Keith Essex said this plane was on his radar as his next ship, after he wore out his JS3.
Any guess's on what these go for all decked out with a metal Cobra?
Nick

Nick, Kelvyn Flaval (KF) bought an EB29R this year. It was over $400k. He, along with Mitch Polinsky will be flying them at Ely next season. Sibylle and Ingo Andresen from Germany are Ely regulars and will probably be at Ely too. Ingo flies the 29R. Sibylle flies a 31.
Old October 13th 20, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Walsh[_2_]

Not sure how many EB29E actually exist? There was one at Sisteron
2018, the rear seat was tiny, really a one and a half seater?
It was taking aerotows, some problem with the battery charger and
smoke production? Reputed cost north of 400K€.....

Old October 13th 20, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 5:24:19 AM UTC-4, Matthew Scutter wrote:
[...]

By the time you bring it home it is much higher than $400k
Old October 13th 20, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 10:55:03 AM UTC-4, Craig Reinholt wrote:
[...]

Ingo does not fly the EB29 anymore.

ASW 20C Motorglider Nick Kennedy[_3_] Soaring 3 February 7th 19 11:17 AM
FS: DG-400 Motorglider 2G Soaring 0 September 20th 13 02:32 PM
IFR in motorglider? cp Soaring 28 March 9th 08 12:02 AM
Motorglider Tug Ray Lovinggood Soaring 21 November 13th 04 04:06 AM
motorglider KsiTau Soaring 0 September 4th 04 09:10 AM