Upgrading your Strikefinder?

Old August 31st 04, 03:45 PM
Peter MacPherson

Default Upgrading your Strikefinder?

Has anyone upgraded their older Strikefinder(plasma screen)
to the newer(LED) model? My display is getting very weak
and hard to read and I thought I heard Insight would upgrade
your older plasma model to the newer model at a decent price.

TIA,
Pete

Old September 1st 04, 12:51 AM
Doug Vetter

Peter MacPherson wrote:
Has anyone upgraded their older Strikefinder(plasma screen)
to the newer(LED) model? My display is getting very weak
and hard to read and I thought I heard Insight would upgrade
your older plasma model to the newer model at a decent price.

TIA,
Pete

A client of mine just upgraded his display when the plasma unit failed.
Flew with it for the first time last weekend. Cost was $1600 if I
recall correctly. He had the chance to upgrade the unit to provide
heading stabilization (independent of any bootstrap gyro), but that was
another $1500 and he ultimately declined due to cost.

My opinion of the new display? Definitely brighter and readable in
bright sunlight (unlike the plasma display), but it seems the resolution
is down slightly from the original (the leds appear larger than the
plasma display's pixels), and I'd question dumping even $1500 into a
unit that is barely worth that on the used market.

If a panel upgrade is in your future, you would be MUCH better off
trading that unit in (even for parts is the display is worthless),
buying a WX500 and piping its output through an MFD of your choice.
Lightning data becomes an order of magnitude more useful when heading or
track stabilized and plotted on a moving map.

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com
--------------------
Old September 1st 04, 02:32 PM
James M. Knox

Doug Vetter wrote in news:8a8Zc.33013$Es2.13360434
@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

If a panel upgrade is in your future, you would be MUCH better off
trading that unit in (even for parts is the display is worthless),
buying a WX500 and piping its output through an MFD of your choice.

Amazing what the parts are worth. I was going to bid on an old StormScope
Wx900 on eBay... the LCD screen was obviously GONE - probably less than 10%
of the pixels were good. It went for about $450. Sheesh... I was going
to bid around $30.

jmk