Oshkosh 2003 Redux

Old August 8th 03, 08:25 PM
Dave Butler

Jay Honeck wrote:

It's funny -- I've had several people who stayed in the dorms come to me,
offering their sincere and heartfelt condolences for our "terrible time"
spent camping at Oshkosh this year. (We lost our tent in the first
storm...)

Lost your tent??? Wow! As in "...where did our tent go?"???

As wet as the week was, I still wouldn't have traded places with you. To be
able to wake up on the field each morning and see 11,000 airplanes parked
wingtip-to-wingtip, as far as the eye can see -- man, there's nothing else
like it.

When it comes to Oshkosh, I'm drip-dry!

Me, too! I tried staying the dorms the last 2 years after getting thoroughly
soaked in my tent 3 years ago, but I missed waking up on the field. There's
nothing like it. I got soaked in my tent again this year, but I'll be back for
another soaking next year.

I kinda miss the guy that used to yodel on the PA system in the early morning,
though (what happened to that?), and the the guy that used to fire up his AT6
the second the airport opened in the morning. I didn't hear either of those this
year.

Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Dave

Old August 8th 03, 08:51 PM
Margy Natalie

Dave Butler wrote:

I kinda miss the guy that used to yodel on the PA system in the early morning,
though (what happened to that?), and the the guy that used to fire up his AT6
the second the airport opened in the morning. I didn't hear either of those this
year.

You should have been camping in the show plane area. We heard him loud and clear.

Margy

Old August 8th 03, 10:21 PM
Jay Honeck

Lost your tent??? Wow! As in "...where did our tent go?"???

No, as in "Holy crap, how did my tent get lifted up onto my wing!?"

I came back from spending the day shopping to find it laying over the
starboard wing. One of the one-inch aluminum poles was actually bent over
the trailing edge of the wing. (Those wings are a lot tougher than they
look.)

The wind actually snapped off three plastic stakes, and threw the tent --
gear inside and all! -- about ten feet. We found our ground cloth three
rows down, wrapped around the nosegear of a Skyhawk...

I kinda miss the guy that used to yodel on the PA system in the early

morning,
though (what happened to that?)

???

We heard him everyday! And we were waaaay out by the new Hilton.

Maybe that mid-range "pilot's deafness" is creeping up on you, eh?

(I wouldn't have minded not hearing those first departures at 6:22 AM...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 8th 03, 10:23 PM
Jay Honeck

So that's what I heard from row 538! Couldn't figure it out since it
kinda
sounded like the gal singing the national anthem (at least on Tuesday's
airshow) trying to time the ending right.

That was hilarious! I've seen her "miss" a few times over the years, but
not *that* badly...

(Didja notice the next day? She had to sing it double-time to get it done
before the flag hit the ground!)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 8th 03, 10:41 PM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
One word: Dorms :-)

It's funny -- I've had several people who stayed in the dorms come to me,
offering their sincere and heartfelt condolences for our "terrible time"
spent camping at Oshkosh this year. (We lost our tent in the first
storm...)

As wet as the week was, I still wouldn't have traded places with you. To

be
able to wake up on the field each morning and see 11,000 airplanes parked
wingtip-to-wingtip, as far as the eye can see -- man, there's nothing else
like it.

When it comes to Oshkosh, I'm drip-dry!
--
Jay Honeck

Amen, brother!!!!!!
--
Jim in NC--

Old August 8th 03, 10:46 PM
Michael Pilla

"Montblack" wrote in message
.. .
("Michael Pilla" wrote)
snip
As an aside, there's nothing like trying to sleep in a tiny, orange

rip-stop
nylon tent when lightning is all around. You would swear that the tent

blew
away and the light part of the "show" is right above you. Eventually, I

got
used to it. :-)

One word: Dorms :-)

--
Montblack

Been there, done that. I like the immediacy of tent camping. Besides, you
can get up early and walk around the planes to take pictures - the dorm
folks are still having breakfast and/or waiting for the bus. :-)

Michael Pilla

Old August 8th 03, 11:30 PM
Dave Stadt

"Montblack" wrote in message
.. .
("Michael Pilla" wrote)
snip
As an aside, there's nothing like trying to sleep in a tiny, orange

rip-stop
nylon tent when lightning is all around. You would swear that the tent

blew
away and the light part of the "show" is right above you. Eventually, I

got
used to it. :-)

One word: Dorms :-)

--
Montblack

Two words: hotel room.

Old August 8th 03, 11:41 PM
Ray Andraka

My plane gained weight this year, and I only went by proxy (had someone buying an
engine monitor for me).

Margy Natalie wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

The only casualty thus far: Our waist-lines. We actually GAINED weight at
Oshkosh -- something that has certainly never happened before!

Gee, I always gain weight at OSH :-(

Margy

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old August 9th 03, 12:35 AM
Bill Higdon

Dave Butler wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:

[...]

In The "old" days Ray Hegy used to fire up his little bird and buzz the
place.
Bill Higdon

Old August 9th 03, 01:38 AM
John Thompson

The Yodeler and the radial engine sounds are traditions, going off at
7AM. I didn't hear it every morning though, and while the yodeler (Both
are recordings actually) usually starts after the radial, I did hear it
the other way once.

John