Oshkosh 2003 Redux

Old August 11th 03, 12:20 AM
john smith

Mike Adams wrote:
(sniP)
Thursday we dried everything out,
re-staked the tent, added some additional guy lines and it rained all Thursday
night but no problems.

AHA! There you have it! Read any backpacking magazine, and they will
tell you to add additional guys to the fly at a distance (not in close)
to withstand heavy winds. The distance from the side of the tent creates
a lower angle on the guy, giving the stake more holding power (surface
area) against the force.
Old August 11th 03, 12:25 AM
john smith

Jay Honeck wrote:
Ah, at least *somebody* remembered me and my brother. Must have been the
schnapps that affected Jay's memory. :-)

Note for N40Fest04... eat first, drink after (more, longer).
BYOSB (bring your own sleeping bag)
Old August 11th 03, 01:14 AM
Aaron Coolidge

In rec.aviation.owning Jack Allison wrote:
: So that's what I heard from row 538! Couldn't figure it out since it kinda
: sounded like the gal singing the national anthem (at least on Tuesday's
: airshow) trying to time the ending right.

Huh, row 538? Funny, that's where I was, too... Grey, red and blue Mooney
(N5636F) with the gigantic waterlogged tent out front. Tues & Wed only.

--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)
Old August 11th 03, 01:36 AM
Gerry Caron

"Jay Masino" wrote in message
It's a shame that the hotels sell out so quickly. That's the only way
I'd be willing to even consider going to Oshkosh. I'm not camping and
I'm not staying in a dorm. The few times I went to Sun-n-Fun, it was
awesome, but only because I could go back to a nice air conditioned room,
with a nice King size bed.

My wife feels the same way. We have stayed with relatives in the past, but
a hide-a-bed and sharing a bath with 3 others didn't go over real well
either. So she took it on herself to find us a hotel room. Got us a suite
3 miles from the field. Made the reservation last March. We're on the list
for next year.

Most hotels have their own waiting list. They start taking it during the
show, giving priority to current guests. There is a 5-night minimum at most
places. Forget the 800 number reservation lines. You have to talk to the
hotel directly. My wife just kept call until she connected right after
someone cancelled.

If that doesn't work, wait until the last month or so before the show. Then
use both the hotline and direct calls, but be flexible, you might be able to
get in for 2 or 3 nights. There were a number of people who left on Friday,
leaving room for a few new arrivals over the weekend.

Gerry

Old August 11th 03, 03:44 AM
Jay Honeck

Rent a nice big RV with a generator. Find a way to go!

Yep, now THAT'S the way to visit OSH. Fly your plane in, park it in the
North 40 (so you can absorb the inimitable ambience) -- and then toddle on
over to your $100,000.00 RV for the night.

The guys who fly the warbirds in seem to have a fair number of lackeys who
drive their motor homes in for them, and park them right over the fence from
their Mustangs...

When I get old and gray, that's the way I'll go. Until then, my queen-sized
self-inflating bed is heaven! (Especially compared to the "olden days" when
I slept on Wittman Field's rocky turf unaided...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 11th 03, 03:48 AM
Jay Honeck

Note for N40Fest04... eat first, drink after (more, longer).
BYOSB (bring your own sleeping bag)

Agree 100%. We all got waaaay too buzzed, waaaay too fast. (Although it was
worth it just to see Margy, Christine and Mary dancing on the wing of
Atlas!)

After spending a day hiking around OSH, you are dehydrated, tired, and
certainly haven't eaten properly. In our case, we hadn't eaten since
breakfast. To suddenly chug an almost unlimited supply (thanks to everyone
who brought beer!) of ice cold adult beverage down certainly guarantees an
early (if intense!) buzz, followed by an equally early burn-out. It didn't
help that the rain started up again, so we really couldn't sit around the
plane after dinner and solve all the world's problems... (And with my kids,
I couldn't hang around the bar all night...)

Maybe next year we can figure our how to do a cookout at the site? That
would tend to slow things down a bit, and provide a little starchy
back-fill, so to speak...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 11th 03, 03:53 AM
Montblack

"Jay Masino"
It's a shame that the hotels sell out so quickly. That's the only way
I'd be willing to even consider going to Oshkosh. I'm not camping and
I'm not staying in a dorm. The few times I went to Sun-n-Fun, it was
awesome, but only because I could go back to a nice air conditioned room,
with a nice King size bed.

I'm not the smallest fella - dorm bed was fine.

Fridge and microwave was nice - mmm ...oatmeal in the morning. Cold anything
at night - grapes, oranges, diet pop, water, etc. After the day's show I
would shower and then read from about 10:30pm -11:30pm. (I never got back to
the room until after 10pm)

Two 16" pedestal fans blowing. I thought the dorms were fine. Quieter than I
thought they'd be. $20 per bed - two beds per room. $40 bucks per night.
Comfortable place to crash, spend my money elsewhere.

--
Montblack

Old August 11th 03, 04:20 AM
Margy Natalie

Jay Honeck wrote:

Maybe next year we can figure our how to do a cookout at the site? That
would tend to slow things down a bit, and provide a little starchy
back-fill, so to speak...

Maybe Friar Tuck's would cater :-)

Margy

Old August 11th 03, 04:30 AM
Jay Honeck

Maybe Friar Tuck's would cater :-)

Doubtful during *that* week -- but I'll bet they'd let us do carry-out!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA