Stand up in Court?

Old February 27th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Stand up in Court?

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote in message
It a no-win situation when there is an accident. Once lawyers and juries

get
involved, common sense goes out the window. Just don't be the one with the
deep pockets.

http://www.geocities.com/grumman581/...m-solution.htm

Old February 27th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Aluckyguess" wrote in
:

"Skywise" wrote in message
"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote in
news:Qvadnd8SbfEjaZzZnZ2dnUVZ_t2dnZ2d@wideopenwest .com:

Snipola
Of course, if I were on a jury, I personally wouldn't assume that just
because there was an accident (assuming that at some time there is an
accident and things end up in court) that it's somehow the original
builders fault for building an airplane that could be crashed. But
that's me.

Of course, the moment the attorneys found out you were a pilot
you'd be dismissed from selection on this case. Can't go having
peopel that actually KNOW something about the subject they are
deciding on. So much for "jury of your peers."

Funny you say this I was called in for jury duty the other day and the
DA dismissed 2 nurses because they might understand how blood was taken
for a blood test on Heroin. I was shocked and made me thing the guy was
innocent. The judge also went on on how cheap companies are that don't
pay for jury duty. He doesn't understand the company cant raise prices
like they raise taxes.
He was a moron I almost blurted out, have you ever had to make payroll
and wondered where the money was coming from.

I wonder if I'd have had the same restraint. The last time I was
called to jury duty was quite some time ago. Since then I've gotten
a lot smarter about quite a few things, and worst of all, I've
taken to studying skepticism and critical thinking.

I'm afraid I'd make a very bad juror because I can't not think.

If I ever get a jury duty notice, I'm going to have fun writing the
letter about why I won't be showing up, so don't bother insisting.
It may become an issue, though, as I understand in my county, in
order to get dismissed, you have to show up and explain to the
judge in person why you should be dismissed.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old February 27th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Of course, the moment the attorneys found out you were a pilot
you'd be dismissed from selection on this case. Can't go having
people that actually KNOW something about the subject they are

--
I actually wanted to get on the jury. I have to go back Monday they where
10 minutes from finishing and didn't want to pay the bailiff overtime. Now

Old February 27th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Aluckyguess" wrote in message
news
Won't work. It is not the buyer you need to worry about but the buyers
survivors. One can sign away their own rights but not the rights for
another and nothing you can do will protect you 100% from the buyers
survivors. What some home builders do if they are the builder of record
is part the plane and make sure the parts go to different buyers and that
none of them include the airworthyness certificate or registration.

So if you build a homebuilt you cant sell it. There should be some changes
made in these laws.

You can sell it but if you are the builder of record you carry the same
liability as Cessna, Piper, Grumman, etc.

Old February 27th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
om...

"Aluckyguess" wrote in message
news
Won't work. It is not the buyer you need to worry about but the buyers
survivors. One can sign away their own rights but not the rights for
another and nothing you can do will protect you 100% from the buyers
survivors. What some home builders do if they are the builder of record
is part the plane and make sure the parts go to different buyers and
that none of them include the airworthyness certificate or registration.

So if you build a homebuilt you cant sell it. There should be some
changes made in these laws.

You can sell it but if you are the builder of record you carry the same
liability as Cessna, Piper, Grumman, etc.
I wonder how much that would cost?

Old February 27th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Aluckyguess" wrote in message

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
om...

"Aluckyguess" wrote in message
news
Won't work. It is not the buyer you need to worry about but the buyers
survivors. One can sign away their own rights but not the rights for
another and nothing you can do will protect you 100% from the buyers
survivors. What some home builders do if they are the builder of
record is part the plane and make sure the parts go to different buyers
and that none of them include the airworthyness certificate or
registration.
So if you build a homebuilt you cant sell it. There should be some
changes made in these laws.

You can sell it but if you are the builder of record you carry the same
liability as Cessna, Piper, Grumman, etc.

I wonder how much that would cost?

How much would what cost?

Old February 27th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I've got another solution. An all-or-nothing rule.

If you sue for twenty-five million dollars and win, but the judge and/or
jury feels that the amount is excessive, you get nothing, or maybe $1.

It would eliminate those huge lawsuits.

Old February 27th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 04:37:47 GMT, "Dave Stadt"
wrote:

"Aluckyguess" wrote in message
news
Won't work. It is not the buyer you need to worry about but the buyers
survivors. One can sign away their own rights but not the rights for
another and nothing you can do will protect you 100% from the buyers
survivors. What some home builders do if they are the builder of record
is part the plane and make sure the parts go to different buyers and that
none of them include the airworthyness certificate or registration.

So if you build a homebuilt you cant sell it. There should be some changes
made in these laws.

You can sell it but if you are the builder of record you carry the same
liability as Cessna, Piper, Grumman, etc.

The General Aviation Revitalization Act limits liability to an
aircraft manufacturer to 18 years after production.

I wonder if this applies to homebuilts too.

Old February 27th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
om...

"Aluckyguess" wrote in message

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
om...

"Aluckyguess" wrote in message
news Won't work. It is not the buyer you need to worry about but the

buyers
survivors. One can sign away their own rights but not the rights for
another and nothing you can do will protect you 100% from the buyers
survivors. What some home builders do if they are the builder of
record is part the plane and make sure the parts go to different

buyers
and that none of them include the airworthyness certificate or
registration.
So if you build a homebuilt you cant sell it. There should be some
changes made in these laws.

You can sell it but if you are the builder of record you carry the same
liability as Cessna, Piper, Grumman, etc.

I wonder how much that would cost?

How much would what cost?

I think he is thinking insurance to cover that kind of liability, doesn't
apply here of course.

Old February 27th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

General question here. I am not at all familiar with the regs regarding
homebuilts or experimental aircraft. Do they have to have an annual
inspection to remain airworthy?
If so, I am thinking let the thing go out of annual before you sell it. Make
the buyer responsible for arranging whatever is needed to get everything
current. Hopefully it would shift enough responsibilty to the new owner and
his A&P if some failure were to get someone hurt or killed to keep you out
of it.