gliding pictures from 1929

Old May 29th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Johan Larson

Default gliding pictures from 1929

I'm still working on the article these pictures came from, but the
pictures are ready now:

http://home.comcast.net/~johan.larso...-the-wind.html

Johan Larson

Old May 29th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 29 May, 20:44, Johan Larson wrote:
I'm still working on the article these pictures came from, but the
pictures are ready now:

Was that a 1929 article describing progress to date? Some of the
gliders look rather older. I've love to know what the tailless one
is ...

Ian

Old May 29th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Johan Larson

On May 29, 1:25 pm, Ian wrote:
On 29 May, 20:44, Johan Larson wrote:

I'm still working on the article these pictures came from, but the
pictures are ready now:

Was that a 1929 article describing progress to date? Some of the
gliders look rather older. I've love to know what the tailless one
is ...

The article describes the gliding movement as it was at the time in
Germany, with a bit of discussion of earlier times. I would guess
Siepen visited Germany in '28, and took the pictures during the trip.
Of course, some of the gliders in use at the time would have been
built much earlier.

Johan Larson

Old May 29th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Johan Larson

On May 29, 2:33 pm, Nyal Williams
wrote:
Who was Siepen?

Not sure. He is not described in the article, and I have never come
across the name anywhere else.

The article was very influential, however. In a different article,
decades later, one of the Schweizers describes its influence:

http://home.comcast.net/~johan.larso...softhesky.html
(Scroll down to the section "Article Launches a Career")

Johan Larson
http://home.comcast.net/~johan.larso...-the-wind.html

Old May 29th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
raulb

The talless glider is the Akafleig Braunschweig SB-1 (Lippisch) Storch
("Stork"), built in 1923.

The pictures are from several of the Rhön competitions, which began in
1920. One of the earlier photos is of the Akaflieg Aachen FVA-1 Blaue
Maus ("Blue Mouse"), that Wolfgang Klemperer flew at the 1920
competition.

This National Geographic article about gliding in Germany, plus
Lindbergh's earlier flight inspired many people to become glider
pilots.

Old June 2nd 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Johan Larson

On May 29, 12:44 pm, Johan Larson wrote:
I'm still working on the article these pictures came from, but the
pictures are ready now:

http://home.comcast.net/~johan.larso...ngs-of-the-win...

The full text of the article is now available.

Please notify me of any typos, and I will correct them.

Johan Larson