Refuting blackbird folklore

Old November 29th 03, 08:48 PM
frank wight

Default Refuting blackbird folklore

There was a time when I thought that
the blackbird could secretly hit 5 on the
mach meter--but isn't there solid science
agains this? Such as:

I don't think the engines have the ability
to rev up to such a speed. Maybe the jet fuel
itself cannot produce sufficent BTU's (thrust)
to propel it that fast, maybe the fuel lines
are too small to exceed Mach 3.3

Perhaps the real inhibitor is the lack of
enough combustible oxygen to feed the engines
to shatter established speed records.

I know that the outer metal shell of the
jet couldn't sustain the high atmospheric
friction.

Am I right about all this, or is there OTHER
things to consider?
Old November 30th 03, 08:15 AM
robert arndt

Chad Irby wrote in message ...
In article ,
(frank wight) wrote:

There was a time when I thought that
the blackbird could secretly hit 5 on the
mach meter--but isn't there solid science
agains this? Such as:

I don't think the engines have the ability
to rev up to such a speed. Maybe the jet fuel
itself cannot produce sufficent BTU's (thrust)
to propel it that fast, maybe the fuel lines
are too small to exceed Mach 3.3

Perhaps the real inhibitor is the lack of
enough combustible oxygen to feed the engines
to shatter established speed records.

I know that the outer metal shell of the
jet couldn't sustain the high atmospheric
friction.

Am I right about all this, or is there OTHER
things to consider?

A lot of that is pretty much on the mark. I've heard Mach 3.5 for short
sprints, but not more than 3.3 for sustained flight.

Mach 5? No way in hell, although I've seen a very few claims for Mach 4
sprints (extremely informally on that one). Even if they could manage
the power to do it, the skin would be melting (see the thread on the
Sanger Amerika Bomber for some of the problems with sustained very high
speed flight).

Same here. I live in northern California so I have heard all the stuff
coming from Beale AFB and the Mach 3.0-3.5 range seems to be the
truth; however, the airframe of the SR-71 is stressed for Mach 4.0
flight. Maybe like the Foxbat this was for emergency only with
resulting damage to the engines and a/c. But I see little need for
such speed given the Blackbird's height invunerability.

Rob
Old November 30th 03, 09:38 AM
Scott Ferrin

owever, the airframe of the SR-71 is stressed for Mach 4.0
flight.

Where did you hear that?

Old November 30th 03, 12:21 PM
Brian

"robert arndt" wrote in message
om...
Same here. I live in northern California so I have heard all the stuff
coming from Beale AFB and the Mach 3.0-3.5 range seems to be the
truth; however, the airframe of the SR-71 is stressed for Mach 4.0
flight. Maybe like the Foxbat this was for emergency only with
resulting damage to the engines and a/c. But I see little need for
such speed given the Blackbird's height invunerability.

What height invulnerability? It worked in the 60's but in todays
environment, there are quite a few missiles that could reach out and touch
the SR-71.

Old November 30th 03, 12:35 PM
Scott Ferrin

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 07:21:36 -0500, "Brian"
wrote:

"robert arndt" wrote in message
. com...
Same here. I live in northern California so I have heard all the stuff
coming from Beale AFB and the Mach 3.0-3.5 range seems to be the
truth; however, the airframe of the SR-71 is stressed for Mach 4.0
flight. Maybe like the Foxbat this was for emergency only with
resulting damage to the engines and a/c. But I see little need for
such speed given the Blackbird's height invunerability.

What height invulnerability? It worked in the 60's but in todays
environment, there are quite a few missiles that could reach out and touch
the SR-71.

Even back in the day there are some they couldn't ignore. If you
counted both sides I'd give the SA-5, Nike Hercules and Bomarc B fair
odds.
Old November 30th 03, 03:48 PM
Chad Irby

In article ,
"Brian" wrote:

"robert arndt" wrote in message
om...
Same here. I live in northern California so I have heard all the stuff
coming from Beale AFB and the Mach 3.0-3.5 range seems to be the
truth; however, the airframe of the SR-71 is stressed for Mach 4.0
flight. Maybe like the Foxbat this was for emergency only with
resulting damage to the engines and a/c. But I see little need for
such speed given the Blackbird's height invunerability.

What height invulnerability? It worked in the 60's but in todays
environment, there are quite a few missiles that could reach out and touch
the SR-71.

Well, there's "reach," then there's "reach with a decent chance of
hitting it."

The problem is that the few missiles with the height (80,000 feet plus)
didn't have enough targeting capability to hit the Blackbird at that
height, especially in a stern chase. The best they could do would be to
loft one up and try to get in the way.

The newer ones, like the "big" SA-20, might be able to do it, but it
would still be a fairly tough targeting solution - you'd need to loft
one up before the SR-71 was in range, then acquire it while in midair.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.