Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

Old March 12th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Default Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

WJRFlyBoy wrote:
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 23:09:09 -0400, Orval Fairbairn wrote:

4. Any where the residents don't OWN the runway.

Reasoning here?

I won't speak for Orval but I wouldn't buy such a lot because if the
owners don't own the runway who ever does could sell it out from under
you and you end up with a house with a big garage.
Old March 12th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

WJRFlyBoy wrote:
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 00:58:19 GMT, Blueskies wrote:

wrote in message ...
On Mar 10, 6:05 pm, WJRFlyBoy wrote:
On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 22:31:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
If that bothers you don't think of landing at some of our back country
strips out here in the west. You would have a heart attack at most of
them trying to thread the needle of trees, cliffs, creeks, stumps,
critters, etc.......
Ben
www.haaspowerair.com
N801BH
It's a little different when you miss a landing a kill a few pines v.s. the
neighbor's kids.
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!

The trick is to not "miss a landing"... Can you say,, Go
Around ??????????

No offense but this is like arguing with a 16 yo (not you personally) "Dad,
there is a stop sign, people STOP."

Most houses are closer to the street than any runway is to any house. On
those streets are cars driving just as fast as the average airplane
lands and they way many times more which means there is much more energy
there in the case of an accident.
Old March 12th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

On Mar 12, 4:51*pm, WJRFlyBoy wrote:
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:36:33 -0400, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article ,
*WJRFlyBoy wrote:

Any incidents?

Whenever you have 600 airplanes residing in a place, you are going to
have SOME incidents --ranging from groundloops to full-house "screwing
the pooch."

Let's start this over Captiva.

Planes...landing..people...mistakes..houses...too close...imminent death.

Yes?

Make sense?

????
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!

About as much sense as

Soap....Water....Tub....Shower....People....immine nt death.

Stop taking showers and bathing YES?

The odds are greater that you will be killed in the tub or shower!

Old March 12th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mar 12, 3:47*pm, WJRFlyBoy wrote:
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 23:09:09 -0400, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
When my wife and I were looking for a place to live, I bought the books
on airparks and easily separated out the places where we DIDN'T want to
live:

1.Those out in the boondocks where you have to drive an hour to get a
loaf of bread or a can of paint.

2. Those too small to defend themselves when the neighboring Philistines
start campaigning against the airpark.
3. Anything on wells/septic tanks.
4. Any where the residents don't OWN the runway.

Reasoning here?

5. No runway lights or who prohibit night operations (Lakeway comes to
mind).
6. Those with poor approaches.
7. Those with too many other restrictions (Ocean Reef comes to mind).
8. Too far from the beach. (Arizona is mostly beach, but the water is a
bit far away.)

What do you think about Captiva?
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!

If you are talking about Upper Captiva then I can give a first hand
report. Years ago I landed my Warrior there on a few occasions. It is
a demanding runway but nothing real dangerous. Ya land short ,you
sheer off the gear on the sea wall, if you run long on the takeoff
roll you get wet. Any competent pilot should be able to keep it
between the houses with ease and get it stopped in time. The thing
that will kill ya is eating too much "death by chocolate" at the
little eatin place there. God that was good eatin, !!!!!!!!! And of
course any place that travel is restriced to golf carts only can't be
too bad.... I am betting the last few hurricanes ruined alot of the
rustic settings it used to have.

Ben.
Old March 13th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
WJRFlyBoy wrote:

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 23:09:09 -0400, Orval Fairbairn wrote:

When my wife and I were looking for a place to live, I bought the books
on airparks and easily separated out the places where we DIDN'T want to
live:

1.Those out in the boondocks where you have to drive an hour to get a
loaf of bread or a can of paint.

2. Those too small to defend themselves when the neighboring Philistines
start campaigning against the airpark.
3. Anything on wells/septic tanks.
4. Any where the residents don't OWN the runway.

Reasoning here?

The reason is that if the residents don't OWN the runway, they are
potentially at the maercy of the landowners. Even though the residents
may have contractually permanent access, they may have legal hassles if
the landowners attempt to renege on their contracts.

I knew people in CA who had this problem at Sierra Skypark. They
eventually prevailed, but it cost them a lot of hassle and legal fees
when the owner of the runway attempted to close it for development.

5. No runway lights or who prohibit night operations (Lakeway comes to
mind).
6. Those with poor approaches.
7. Those with too many other restrictions (Ocean Reef comes to mind).
8. Too far from the beach. (Arizona is mostly beach, but the water is a
bit far away.)

What do you think about Captiva?

I really have not investigated it, but it does not appear to be a place
where I would wish to live.

Old March 13th 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"BobR" wrote

About as much sense as

Soap....Water....Tub....Shower....People....immine nt death.

Stop taking showers and bathing YES?

The odds are greater that you will be killed in the tub or shower!

Yep.

I'm beginning to think this guy or gal your post is replying to is:

A) Way too closed minded to belive what people here repeatedly tell him

B) Way too paranoid about airplanes to ever want to actually be in one

C) Has some medically classifiable psychosis

D) An internet kook, along the lines of MX or Ken (or is actually one of
them)

E) Another of a recurring line of trolls that seems to be parading through
the Rec.Aviation groups

F) Some combination of the choices above

Whatever the answer is, I'm done with future conversations with him. Time
will tell which of the above choices are correct, and I don't think it will
take much longer for others to get as tired of him as I have.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 13th 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"cavelamb himself" wrote

Or 14 years old?

Yep, that should have been a choice, too. Then, add one or more of the
other choices, too.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 13th 08, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

On Mar 12, 9:42*pm, "Morgans" wrote:
[...]

The sad part of it is that there are a lot of "educated" adults out
there who are of the same mindset. We shouldn't be allowed to fly
because we might fly over their house, car, or space and suddenly fall
out of the sky on top of them. They are the same group of morons who
will totally disregard a thousand other greater risks to their well
being without a second thought. I wouldn't give a damn except they
are the same ones who are constantly trying to force limits on
everyones freedom to live because they have no life of their own.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-
preserved body,
But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting

"....Holy ****....What a RIDE!"

Old March 13th 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 16:20:52 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Right.

then I can give a first hand
report. Years ago I landed my Warrior there on a few occasions. It is
a demanding runway but nothing real dangerous. Ya land short ,you
sheer off the gear on the sea wall, if you run long on the takeoff
roll you get wet. Any competent pilot should be able to keep it
between the houses with ease and get it stopped in time. The thing
that will kill ya is eating too much "death by chocolate" at the
little eatin place there. God that was good eatin, !!!!!!!!! And of
course any place that travel is restriced to golf carts only can't be
too bad.... I am betting the last few hurricanes ruined alot of the
rustic settings it used to have.

Ben.

Hit n miss as all hurricanes are but they survived OK considering.

Thx for the review. I am picking on Up Captiva because I am familiar with
it, point of reference not a point of particular contention.

Btw, the bigger problem is the unbelievably bas red algae that's clogging
up the passes and filling the beaches. Stench beyond description.
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
I hesitate to add to this discussion because I'm not an instructor,

Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path? WJRFlyBoy Piloting 257 March 28th 08 01:26 PM
Airparks... .Blueskies. Owning 9 May 8th 06 04:14 PM
Airparks and clubs around Phoenix AZ ? gilan Home Built 3 March 9th 06 01:07 PM
Airparks near Austin TX TIm Gilbert Owning 14 October 3rd 05 03:18 PM
A New, New Direction for a Beaten Dead Horse Shawn Soaring 0 February 25th 05 01:57 PM