Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

Old March 14th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Margy Natalie

Default Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

WJRFlyBoy wrote:
On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 15:47:22 -0700 (PDT), BobR wrote:

Why do you feel it is off the safety charts? I don't see any issue
with safety beyond any neighborhood anywhere else. You are not
missing anything but may be immagining thing that don't exist.

What percentage of landings happen off the airstrip? That % of landings
could find you in someone's living room.

I think houses off the approach and departure ends are a much worse
idea. If you have such a bad wind/landing that you are going to hit my
house 110' off the center line either you are planting a really large
aircraft on 3,000' of grass or you need some serious recurrent training.

Margy
Old March 14th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Margy Natalie

WJRFlyBoy wrote:
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:20:58 -0400, Morgans wrote:

There are many, many airports that have structures or natural obstacles much
closer than this one. Yet, airplanes land and takeoff from these places for
many years with no incidents. Occasionally there are problems, but that is
why you buy insurance.

Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path? is the Subject, note the ?

You might even have to decide to give the airplane
to the insurance company someday, if a particularly crappy incident happens
to you - if you take up being a pilot. Planes and houses don't grow on
trees, but they are much easier to replace than people.

I suppose you could say you are at a higher risk if you live within two
miles of any airport. Is it a reasonable risk? I think so.

Two miles and 20 meters is entirely 2 different discussions.

Are the houses in the airpark in an overly risky location? No, I don't
think so. Are they at a higher risk? Probably, but most would say they are
at a reasonable risk level.

So what you are telling me is that it is a reasonable risk to live next to
a landing strip/field in relation for what convenience?

I can leave the office, drive 1 hour to my plane and fly 1.5 hours to
our property, on the lake, in NC. True, the house isn't built yet, but
we have a truck in the neighbor's hangar, so it's 2.5 hours from work to
heaven! If we have to drive it's almost 7 hours. AND all of the folks
in the neighborhood are airplane people.

I don't believe it's that much higher risk than living on downwind for
1/19 R&L base for 30 at Dulles (which is where we live).

Margy

Flying will put you at a higher risk than many other activities in your
life. The rewards outweigh the risks, to the people that stay in it. You
can choose to live your life safe and boring, or live your life rich and
full of reward, and not be afraid of the somewhat higher risks. I know what
I choose, as do most of the flying folks in this group.

If you believe that life is rewarding based upon the level of risk you
take, I feel very sorry for you.

This comes from a risk taker of the penultimate degree.

Old March 14th 08, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Margy Natalie

Blueskies wrote:

"WJRFlyBoy" wrote in message

This got me thinking, a rudderless Ercoupe in a multi-directional wind
landing......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l2NJFrvYls

Do you (I) really want a home that close to a GA landing strip? Yet I see
megabuck homes in my neck of the woods

http://www.visualtour.com/shownp.asp?prt=85&t=1217861

http://preview.tinyurl.com/39avgz Use satellite mode

Am I missing something? Isn't this a bit off the safety charts?

Home sweet home: http://www.airnav.com/airport/4N0

Looks nice, but too far north for me :-)

Margy
Old March 14th 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Margy Natalie" wrote in message
m...
WJRFlyBoy wrote:
On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 15:47:22 -0700 (PDT), BobR wrote:

Why do you feel it is off the safety charts? I don't see any issue
with safety beyond any neighborhood anywhere else. You are not
missing anything but may be immagining thing that don't exist.

What percentage of landings happen off the airstrip? That % of landings
could find you in someone's living room.

I think houses off the approach and departure ends are a much worse idea.
If you have such a bad wind/landing that you are going to hit my house
110' off the center line either you are planting a really large aircraft
on 3,000' of grass or you need some serious recurrent training.

Margy

I agree, and might add that 110' from the centerline is pretty generous
compared to some of the residential airparks that I have visited. OTOH, all
that open space does give you that panoramic view you bought it for. :-)

Peter

Old March 14th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stella Starr

Or worse yet, we'll only read the top-posters' comments.
Nyaa-nyaaaahhh!

RST Engineering wrote:
Do you idiots NOT understand that if you do NOT snip that we will NOT go
down to see what you have to say?

Jim

PS: I second what he said.
Old March 14th 08, 08:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 07:22:21 -0700 (PDT), BobR wrote:

The sad part of it is that there are a lot of "educated" adults out
there who are of the same mindset. We shouldn't be allowed to fly
because we might fly over their house, car, or space and suddenly fall
out of the sky on top of them. They are the same group of morons who
will totally disregard a thousand other greater risks to their well
being without a second thought. I wouldn't give a damn except they
are the same ones who are constantly trying to force limits on
everyones freedom to live because they have no life of their own.

lol Starting with the Subject Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path? (note
was and is a question), ending with raping freedom-mongers - in three
sentences - I would say you took liberties with the term "gross
extrapolation".

Back to the Subject and the discussion, since no one has yet to answer. Has
anyone a place I can go that would specifically have data on these types
(Upper Captiva) of airstrips and the incidence of off runway incidents (w/
houses, people, etc).

--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
I hesitate to add to this discussion because I'm not an instructor,
Old March 14th 08, 09:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Marty Shapiro

WJRFlyBoy wrote in
:

[...]

Try NTSB.GOV. They have 140,000 or so aircraft incidents & accidents
available online going back to 1962. You'll have to structure the
appropriate search query.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old March 14th 08, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

On Mar 14, 3:39*am, WJRFlyBoy wrote:
On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 07:22:21 -0700 (PDT), BobR wrote:
The sad part of it is that there are a lot of "educated" adults out
there who are of the same mindset. *We shouldn't be allowed to fly
because we might fly over their house, car, or space and suddenly fall
out of the sky on top of them. *They are the same group of morons who
will totally disregard a thousand other greater risks to their well
being without a second thought. *I wouldn't give a damn except they
are the same ones who are constantly trying to force limits on
everyones freedom to live because they have no life of their own.

lol Starting with the Subject *Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path? (note
was and is a question), ending with raping freedom-mongers - in three
sentences - I would say you took liberties with the term "gross
extrapolation".

First, I wasn't replying or talking with you but discussing the basic
problem which you clearly display, a total lack of any understanding
of aviation and the risk factors involved. You initial post
demonstrated that ignorance and you continuation has only reinforced
that perception.

Back to the Subject and the discussion, since no one has yet to answer. Has
anyone a place I can go that would specifically have data on these types
(Upper Captiva) of airstrips and the incidence of off runway incidents (w/
houses, people, etc).

Don't expect us to do your dirty work for you.

Old March 14th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 21:22:33 -0400, Margy Natalie wrote:

It is a really pretty Ercoupe! I think living that close to a GA
landing strip is the way to go (we break ground this week!!)
www.longislandairpark.com Phase II lot 12.

Margy

Looks like you are at the corner of everything. Congrats!

I did find this after looking at your site. The link was helpful.

shrunklink.com/ampm
Old March 14th 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 21:29:02 -0400, Margy Natalie wrote:

What percentage of landings happen off the airstrip? That % of landings
could find you in someone's living room.

I think houses off the approach and departure ends are a much worse
idea. If you have such a bad wind/landing that you are going to hit my
house 110' off the center line either you are planting a really large
aircraft on 3,000' of grass or you need some serious recurrent training.

Margy

www.TinyURL.com/39avgz

The above was the e.g., note that many homes are 60' OCl

Great way to get Gulf view in a home that is several hundred feet off the
beach though.
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
I hesitate to add to this discussion because I'm not an instructor,
just a rather slow student who's not qualified to give advice that
might kill someone.

Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path? WJRFlyBoy Piloting 257 March 28th 08 01:26 PM
Airparks... .Blueskies. Owning 9 May 8th 06 04:14 PM
Airparks and clubs around Phoenix AZ ? gilan Home Built 3 March 9th 06 01:07 PM
Airparks near Austin TX TIm Gilbert Owning 14 October 3rd 05 03:18 PM
A New, New Direction for a Beaten Dead Horse Shawn Soaring 0 February 25th 05 01:57 PM