Will Marine VMFA squadrons continue deploying in CVNs with JSF ?

Old February 27th 04, 09:03 PM
John S. Shinal

Default Will Marine VMFA squadrons continue deploying in CVNs with JSF ?

In a recent thread on F-35 variants, I noticed that the Marine
Corps version doesn't appear to be CTOL for carrier ops, rather STOVL.

Will Marine squadrons eventually operate in the STOVL regime
from big decks, or what ?

Will JSF be a plane for plane, squadron for squadron swap with
both Harrier and Hornet operators ?

Old February 28th 04, 10:41 PM
Guy Alcala

"John S. Shinal" wrote:

In a recent thread on F-35 variants, I noticed that the Marine
Corps version doesn't appear to be CTOL for carrier ops, rather STOVL.

Will Marine squadrons eventually operate in the STOVL regime
from big decks, or what ?

If they need to, sure. There was a decision made a year or two ago that USMC and USN
aviation assets were to be combined, which made the marines think they would be forced
to buy some CV-versions of the F-35. I don't know what the current status of this
is.

Will JSF be a plane for plane, squadron for squadron swap with
both Harrier and Hornet operators ?

I imagine that depends on what happens with UCAVs.

Guy

Old February 29th 04, 09:25 PM
Henry J Cobb

John S. Shinal wrote:
In a recent thread on F-35 variants, I noticed that the Marine
Corps version doesn't appear to be CTOL for carrier ops, rather STOVL.

Will Marine squadrons eventually operate in the STOVL regime
from big decks, or what ?

Will JSF be a plane for plane, squadron for squadron swap with
both Harrier and Hornet operators ?

Only for the ground based squadrons.

The carrier marines will fly Super Hornets.

So that they can refuel the Navy's F35-Cs. ;-)

-HJC

Old February 29th 04, 11:21 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Henry J Cobb" wrote in message

Will JSF be a plane for plane, squadron for squadron swap with
both Harrier and Hornet operators ?

Only for the ground based squadrons.

Bull**** Henry

The USMC fly Harriers from their LHA's and LHD's
I dont doubt they will do the same with the JSF

Keith

Old March 1st 04, 12:25 AM
Thomas Schoene

Henry J Cobb wrote:
John S. Shinal wrote:
In a recent thread on F-35 variants, I noticed that the Marine
Corps version doesn't appear to be CTOL for carrier ops, rather
STOVL.

Will Marine squadrons eventually operate in the STOVL regime
from big decks, or what ?

Will JSF be a plane for plane, squadron for squadron swap with
both Harrier and Hornet operators ?

Only for the ground based squadrons.

The carrier marines will fly Super Hornets.

The Marines have no intention whatsoever of flying Super Hornets. The
official goal is still to replace all the Hornets and Harriers with STOVL
JSFs (close to 1:1, I think). If they decide they can't fly STOVL F-35s
from carriers (a topic of considerable debate between the services right
now, I understand), they'll have to buy some of the CV version instead.

So that they can refuel the Navy's F35-Cs. ;-)

Make that F-35C. It matters where you put the hyphens.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old March 1st 04, 01:28 AM
Andrew C. Toppan

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 13:25:31 -0800, Henry J Cobb wrote:

Only for the ground based squadrons.
The carrier marines will fly Super Hornets.

You are truly clueless....the Marines have no plan to buy Super
Hornets. None.

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,

Old March 2nd 04, 06:20 AM
Guy Alcala

Woody Beal wrote:

snip

The USMC hates the Super Hornet as much as it hated the Tomcat.

Not a question of hate (as long as they're not forced to take any), more
like they have no need of them for their missions. They have no wish to
throw money away on F-18E/Fs, when they want to replace both AV-8Bs and
F-18s with F-35Bs.

Guy

Old March 2nd 04, 06:41 PM
Ogden Johnson III

Woody Beal wrote:

"Andrew C. Toppan" wrote:

Henry J Cobb wrote:

Only for the ground based squadrons.
The carrier marines will fly Super Hornets.

You are truly clueless....the Marines have no plan to buy Super
Hornets. None.

The USMC hates the Super Hornet as much as it hated the Tomcat.

We don't *hate* them, they just aren't appropriate to USMC
mission needs. Which differs from USN and USAF mission needs.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.