Oshkosh Bound With Ham Radio

Old July 15th 03, 05:39 AM
Peter Gottlieb

Perhaps with a repeater up at 20,000 feet on a balloon? That should get
some decent range.

"Jim Weir" wrote in message
Well, we certainly can, Jay. Both Gail and I (WX6RST and KB9MII) carry
handhelds that will do as well as a full-featured rig, but...

2 meters is just a little above the VHF COM band...that is, line of sight.
"Live from the ...." will be anything within a hundred miles or so at

5000MSL or
so, and I really wouldn't expect one, maybe two checkins all of Sunday

afternoon
and evening.

HOWEVER, as the Wizard of Cheap-Ass Homebuilt Antennas, I'll bring along
something that will let us listen to any of our brethren and sistren that

choose
to yack at us as they proceed along their chosen course.

Jim & Gail

"Jay Honeck"

- Most of us flying our own aircraft have installed ham rigs in the
-airplane,
- predominantly 2-meters. Most of the rest will at least have an HT

with
-them.
-
-Hey Jim -- can you set up your radio at poolside?
-
-We can be "live from the Alexis Park Inn & Suites" worldwide during the
-fly-in pool party!

http://www.rst-engr.com

Old July 15th 03, 07:03 AM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 08:18:43 -0700, Jim Weir wrote:

Scott

[snip some particularly confusing answers]

-As for repeaters at OSH...I've never been able to get anyone to talk to
-me

Why not download just the Oshkosh repeaters from the Oshkosh frequency chart at
www.rstengineering.com ? I've never had a problem with getting ANY of the
locals to talk to me; they actually seem to be a very nice lot.

Couple years ago the locals had a ham station set up over by Baslers.
I stopped by and shot the breeze for quite some time.

I'd assume they make it a regular tradition, but I've not been there
the past few years.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

-Listening 146.580 Simplex at OSH

Why don't you try 52 simplex? That's where the rest of us are going to be

Jim
http://www.rst-engr.com

Old July 15th 03, 02:35 PM
Jay Honeck

Perhaps with a repeater up at 20,000 feet on a balloon? That should get
some decent range.

Might want to file a NOTAM for that one. (We're adjacent to RWY 25,
rememember!)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Need a ride from Milwauke to OshKosh Steve Ruse Home Built 2 July 11th 03 07:40 PM
Recommendation for Radio, transponder and Altimeter Ron Natalie Home Built 0 July 8th 03 03:40 PM
Ham Radio In The Airplane Doug Carter Home Built 24 July 8th 03 03:30 AM
Ontario to Oshkosh CarlO Home Built 1 July 5th 03 02:05 PM
CQ Oshkosh, CQ Oshkosh Warren & Nancy Home Built 4 July 3rd 03 06:42 PM