Looking for helicopter flight training (and advice) - Sacramento now, and moving to Phoenix next year

Old June 3rd 04, 02:06 AM
JonTheRookie

Default Looking for helicopter flight training (and advice) - Sacramento now, and moving to Phoenix next year

Ok, I'm one of those people who has always dreamed of becoming a pilot
and always thought "Nah that's not realistic, I need to get a job at a
boring company and sit in a Cube all day staring at a computer
screen".

So 5 long years have gone by and now I'm actually realizing that I
should have pursued my dreams long ago, and when I am old and gray I
don't want to look back and regret never going for it.

So... how do I break into flying helicopters (without joining the
forces), and without spending a fortune and selling my soul to pay for
it.
I would like to train towards a career of flying.

I've done a fair bit of research, and all the flight schools are sooo
expensive. I don't mind paying money for training, but doesn't it get
prohibitively expensive to do it this way? It seems that by the time
you are done you owe 3 college educations worth of cash.

I'm looking for advice from any experienced people out there, or maybe
people that are currently learning.

Any ideas? Anyone in the Sacramento area offer any recommendations of
flight schools?

Thanks

Jon
Old June 4th 04, 02:28 AM

(JonTheRookie) wrote:

Any ideas? Anyone in the Sacramento area offer any recommendations of
flight schools?

Check out this guy. $165 hr dual / $135 hr solo

http://www.zemlock.com/courses.html

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

Old June 4th 04, 04:53 PM
JIM105

Any ideas? Anyone in the Sacramento area offer any recommendations of
flight schools?

I know that learning to fly is expensive, but that's the way it is. The
economics of helicopter operations dictate what an operator needs to charge.
It's the same old story that has been on this board before, if you are willing
to make some large changes in your life, you might make it as a helicopter
pilot. Even with the money invested in the certificates, there is no promise
of a job in this industry. Remember, if it was easy, everyone would be doing
it!

As far as schools in the SAC area, I believe there is a school in Lincoln
(forgive me but I can't remember the name). Silver State has a school up and
running at McClelland airport. I've seen as many as 6 or 7 R-22's and R-44's
roaming around there. Of course Silver State seems to have some negative
conotations about them, but I have no firsthand knowledge good or bad about
them (you might want to go to JustHelicopters.com and do a search of them). If
you are willing to drive a bit, Helicopter Adventures has a facility in
Concord. I've had a few dealings with them over the years and they have always
been straight shooters.

Good Luck,
Jim
Old June 5th 04, 03:50 PM

www.justhelicopters.com also has a helicopter job listing. I only
looked at the first page, but most of them were requiring 2000 hours
helicopter time. Some even want 1500 hours turbine. A cheap turbine
hour is about $500. Multiply that by 1500 and your investment is
$750,000 just to apply for a job that pays between $18 and $30 per
flight hour.

Dennis.

Old June 6th 04, 04:17 PM
Micbloo

Of course Silver State seems to have some negative
conotations about them, but I have no firsthand knowledge good or bad about
them (you might want to go to JustHelicopters.com and do a search of them).

Hehehe, you go to the forum in Justhelicopters and EVERYONE sucks.
Incredible the negativity over there but that is what anonymity brings out.
All the brave, caring people.

Old June 7th 04, 04:16 AM
JonTheRookie

Thanks folks for the feedback. I am looking forward to this journey I
am embarking on.

Jon