Flying in the USA vs. Europe

Old March 24th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Borat

Default Flying in the USA vs. Europe

"Don Tuite" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 19:18:20 -0400, Margy Natalie
wrote:

My only recent experience is with Zurich, Luzern and Wien, and I gotta
say that RR terminals in the middle of town, trains that leave and
arrive exactly on time, tasty snacks, including decent beer, and
picture-window views of magnificent scenery make for a pleasant
experience. And Zurich has a regular train station at the airport..
Really nice. I hate the way the parking lot moguls in the US have
managed to make connecting with mass transit at the airports a royal
PITA in most places.

OTOH, taking the train in Britain is out of the question. For the
short hop from Reading to Swansea (to catch the overnight ferry to
Cork, the train would have cost hundreds of dollars more for three
people than we wound up paying for a nice bus. Of course later hops
from Cork to Leeds to Edinburgh were downright cheap, but there's
obviously some shell game going on there.

Don

The ferry to Cork - wow Ok if you want to take a car but NOT the way to go
by train. Better to fly to Cork which would cost about $100 per person
return.

Old March 24th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Borat

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ps.com...
My only recent experience is with Zurich, Luzern and Wien, and I gotta
say that RR terminals in the middle of town, trains that leave and
arrive exactly on time, tasty snacks, including decent beer,

Okay, you got me there. If they serve good beer on the trains, that
would make an otherwise stultifyingly boring journey kinda fun.

The train from Zurich would be anything but boring and far less terrifying
that trying to fly a Pa28 out of the mountains.

The beer is better by a mile, certainly better that the half frozen gnats
**** you have coming out of Milwaukee

Old March 26th 07, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2007-03-24, Borat wrote:
The train from Zurich would be anything but boring and far less terrifying
that trying to fly a Pa28 out of the mountains.

If you exercise good judgement, flying out of the mountains should not
be a terrifying experience. If it is, you're doing it wrong.

I flew an 85hp Cessna 140 across the Sierra Nevadas in 2002. With proper
planning, it can be done without absurd levels of risk or terror.

The beer is better by a mile, certainly better that the half frozen gnats
**** you have coming out of Milwaukee

I wager there's probably some good beer coming out of Milwaukee, but it
won't be the mass produced beer. Mass produced beer is almost always
pretty intolerable, whoever makes it - because it's made to be bland and
not offend anyone. If you think American beer is all gnat's ****, you've
been drinking the wrong American beer!

However, I disagree with Jay's comment that trains are stultifyingly
boring - they aren't at all. I really enjoy travelling by train.

Old March 26th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I wager there's probably some good beer coming out of Milwaukee, but it
won't be the mass produced beer.

www.sprecherbrewery.com

Best beer in the world, IMHO. (And I've made it a point to try them
all, although I fear that by the time many foreign brews make it to
the US, they are a mere shadow of themselves, thanks to mishandling.)

Sprecher was even better before they pasteurized it, but they were
unable to expand their reach much beyond Wisconsin without doing so.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 26th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

although I fear that by the time many foreign brews make it to
the US, they are a mere shadow of themselves

If the beer won't come to Mohammed...

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old March 26th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

If the beer won't come to Mohammed...

Yeah, that's in our "want-to-dos" for the future...a beer tour of
Germany!

Alas, we haven't finished seeing even 50% of the US lower 48, let
alone Alaska and Canada. We have driven, ridden, or flown through/
over much of it, but not had time to spend any quality time in many
areas.

So many places to see, so little time...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 26th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Borat

On 2007-03-24, Borat wrote:

.. If you think American beer is all gnat's ****, you've
been drinking the wrong American beer!

My favourite American beer is a nice bit of Moose Drool, which I first
sampled in Missoula, Montana and it went down well after a hard days flying.

Old March 26th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Borat

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
I wager there's probably some good beer coming out of Milwaukee, but it
won't be the mass produced beer.

www.sprecherbrewery.com

Best beer in the world, IMHO. (And I've made it a point to try them
all, although I fear that by the time many foreign brews make it to
the US, they are a mere shadow of themselves, thanks to mishandling.)

Sprecher was even better before they pasteurized it, but they were
unable to expand their reach much beyond Wisconsin without doing so.

German beer then.

Old March 26th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Borat

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
If the beer won't come to Mohammed...

Yeah, that's in our "want-to-dos" for the future...a beer tour of
Germany!

That's about the only thing worth doing in Belgium a beer tour. Beers at 16%
alcohol can be found. Its one of the few places you can get drunk on beer
without having to go to the toilet in the process.

Other than beer (& diamonds) , Belgium's best attribute is that it does not
take long to drive through.

Old March 26th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Borat wrote:
Other than beer (& diamonds) , Belgium's best attribute is that it does
not take long to drive through.

you should have slowed down a bit, you would have realized that they make
the best chocolate in the world... (that said the beer is indeed worth
the detour; that's one thing I really miss now that I live in USA:
good beer; actually I would even settle for half way drinkable if it
were available, but it ain't -- and no, imported beer in bottles doesn't
cut it either, I have my standards...)

--Sylvain

GPS in Europe Doug Piloting 6 June 26th 06 02:35 AM
Cost of Flying in Europe john smith Piloting 9 October 3rd 05 02:09 AM
Flying Holiday in Europe Udo Rumpf Soaring 17 March 23rd 05 03:08 PM
Flying to Europe Bob Webster Instrument Flight Rules 19 April 26th 04 04:08 PM
Flying to Europe Bob Webster Piloting 19 April 26th 04 04:08 PM