More KAP 140 questions

Old October 26th 03, 04:12 AM

I've been partially following this thread over the last few days, but I
must say that I wish the 140 would allow a pure wing leveler or HDG mode
capability without the VS control. I must admit that I (now know that I)
hadn't completely RTFM'd before using it in a 172SP, and got caught by
surprise that I was getting VS control as well as HDG control.

I know I should've briefed the manual more, but in my defense the
single-axis Bendix/King APs that I'd seen before do (by the very fact
that they're single-axis) behave differently. My "logic" thought that
the dual-axis 140 would behave the same when I pressed the same button.
Doh!

But that's OK, I'm now flying an SR20 with the Meggitt 55X which behaves
the way I think it should 8^) .

Dave Blevins

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 05:19:02 GMT, Craig Prouse
wrote:

"News" wrote:

I have another KAP 140 question for the group. Is there a way to have a
dual axis w/ pre-select model of the KAP140 act as though it is only a
single axis?

No, with the KAP 140, either you are flying the airplane or the autopilot is
flying the airplane. When the autopilot is flying, you should not attempt
to control the airplane with the yoke in either axis. It controls the
horizontal. It controls the vertical. Do not adjust your set.

Whether you trust the autopilot to fly an approach, or whether you should,
is a matter for philosophical debate. I've always hand-flown all of my
approaches in actual. I've practiced with it under simulated conditions
where I've been impressed that the autopilot can do a fine job for me,
unless I misconfigure it -- in which case the resulting deviation can be
extremely disorienting.

Old October 26th 03, 06:52 AM
Teacherjh

So what do you do in an emergency if you need an approach from the box?

That's what paper is for. You do carry current approach plates and
enroute charts, don't you?

So I pull out the chart for the GPS approach, and manually dial in all the five
letter fixes I'd be using? (Whoever designed this twist and look to cycle
through the alphabet should be given his own room in Hell). In an emergency
I'd rather take the entire approach out of the box, even if it's old (dialing
it in by hand won't guarantee fresh data if the database is old)

Jose