I took the garbage out tonight

Old January 31st 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default I took the garbage out tonight

I've got a few gallons of used oil in the hangar in buckets since I
don't drink enough milk to put it all out for recycling. One of
these days I need to schlep it over to the big oil recycling tank
at a nearby airport.

If those are polypropylene milk jugs, you don't want to leave them
sitting very long. Polypropylene absorbs oil and will disintegrate if
left in contact with each other. Don't leave the jugs on the hangar
floor unless you want to clean a gooey mess. Is your hangar floor
epoxied?
Old January 31st 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 2006-01-30, Newps wrote:

How can this happen? I bought a clear piece of poly tubing from the
hardare store that I put on the quick drain and then go home and finish
the job the next day. Never once in 9 years of changing oil has oil
somehow got onto the outside of the tubing.

Not sure since I haven't seen the inside of the valve, but the part
you push up and lock to drain it is the smaller cylinder. The oil
normally drains through it into the tubing, but apparently it *can*
seep around the top of the plunger part when it's locked open. Maybe
it's a sign of a problem with the valve, which I hadn't considered.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old January 31st 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 2006-01-31, john smith wrote:
I've got a few gallons of used oil in the hangar in buckets since I
don't drink enough milk to put it all out for recycling.

If those are polypropylene milk jugs, you don't want to leave them
sitting very long. Polypropylene absorbs oil and will disintegrate if
left in contact with each other.

Good to know. I actually have no milk jugs at all, so the oil is in
plastic buckets that originally held cat litter. It hadn't occured to
me to check for oil/plastic compatibility. The next vehicle I buy will
be suitable for hauling buckets of oil to somewhere I can dispose of it.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old January 31st 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

GA flying in the US is by far the most unrestrictive and accessible in the
world. Enjoy it, protect it, and appreciate it.

Bravo! For once, a positive statement about flying.

Thanks, Marco. I needed that.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 31st 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Won't your FBO take it? I just take mine to the mechanic and dump it in
his sump. He does not mind. Our local Wal-Mart received old engine oil
at no charge. I would suspect the quick change oil places would do the same.

Ross
KSWI

Old January 31st 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Ross Richardson wrote:
: Won't your FBO take it? I just take mine to the mechanic and dump it in
: his sump. He does not mind. Our local Wal-Mart received old engine oil
: at no charge. I would suspect the quick change oil places would do the same.

You should not take aircraft oil to an automotive waste oil dump from what
I've heard. They no longer expect to see the lead in the oil from 100LL.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old January 31st 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"john smith" wrote in message
I've got a few gallons of used oil in the hangar in buckets since I
don't drink enough milk to put it all out for recycling. One of
these days I need to schlep it over to the big oil recycling tank
at a nearby airport.

If those are polypropylene milk jugs, you don't want to leave them
sitting very long. Polypropylene absorbs oil and will disintegrate if
left in contact with each other. Don't leave the jugs on the hangar
floor unless you want to clean a gooey mess. Is your hangar floor
epoxied?

You've had this happen, or you "heard about it"?

I've had old oil sit in milk jugs for a couple of years on the garage floor
(You never know when it might come in handy, right? :-) ). Never had a
problem.

--
Geoff
the sea hawk at wow way d0t com

Old January 31st 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Try a farm implement dealer, a semi truck and trailer service center, a
dealer, or a quick lube. Remember, these guys get paid for their waste oil,
just like we do here at the farm. And the people that buy it from us really
don't care too much what it contains. I know ours contains diesel engine
oil, gasoline engine oil, (from both leaded and unleaded gas) hydraulic oil,
brake fluid, heavy oils, water, soap, detergents, washer fluid... just about
anything. My brother in law also drives a pickup route for one of these
companies, he goes from the quick lubes right to the airports in the area
and it all goes in the same tank. The company that he works for, filters
it, thins it with fuel oil, and sells it as a #4 furnace oil for industrial
furnaces.
Jim

Old February 1st 06, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote:

"john smith" wrote in message
I've got a few gallons of used oil in the hangar in buckets since I
don't drink enough milk to put it all out for recycling. One of
these days I need to schlep it over to the big oil recycling tank
at a nearby airport.

If those are polypropylene milk jugs, you don't want to leave them
sitting very long. Polypropylene absorbs oil and will disintegrate if
left in contact with each other. Don't leave the jugs on the hangar
floor unless you want to clean a gooey mess. Is your hangar floor
epoxied?

You've had this happen, or you "heard about it"?

I have it happen... repeatedly!
After draining my oil, I inevitably leave it sit instead of taking it to
a drop off site right away.
I then have to scoop it into multiple polyethelynene trash bags and
scoure the congrete to get as much of the oil out of it as possible.
As we speak, I have two jugs from last summer still sitting here taking
up space.