Fixes provided in routing for IFR flight plans - VFR waypoints okay?

Old November 29th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Default Fixes provided in routing for IFR flight plans - VFR waypoints okay?

Dave Butler writes:

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraff.../media/aim.pdf

Excellent! Thanks. I had the book, but I didn't know it had detailed
information on routing.

Old November 29th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

"Jim Macklin" writes:

As filed, flight plans are not flown. VFR might well be
just as simple as telling FSS VFR, Washington DC ,
Indianapolis, St. Louis, Destination Kansas City [the phrase
close enough for government work comes to mind.]
My actual plan would have many points for visual and radio
navigation.

You're saying that you only put a few simple indications on the form
but you fly a more detailed plan?

I try to figure out lots of waypoints for VFR flights ... mainly
because there are so many restricted areas and Class-whatever
airspaces that I have to go through or avoid. If these didn't exist,
I could just look out the window in many cases; but since the chart
lines aren't marked on the real terrain, I try to have enough
waypoints figured out in advance so that I can be sure I'll be in the
right place at the right point from a regulatory standpoint.

An IFR plan is more detailed, but might only have a
departure airport, a SID and airway and a STAR and might
only have the airway, the feds will assign the SID and STAR
anyway.

Do you normally get arrival and departure procedures when you request
the IFR clearance, or does the arrival procedure not come up until you
are approaching your destination?

I've had a lot of trouble programming a FMS with procedures on the
fly, which is why I ask. I also have to try to dig up charts on the
spur of the moment, which is awkward.

Old November 29th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
A Lieberma

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

"Jim Macklin" writes:

[...]

Not one word in this post saying he is playing a game called MSFS and not
flying a real plane

Replier be forewarned.... Especially the IFR newsgroup. Better yet,
ignore him, he is a troll.

Allen
Old November 29th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Morgans[_2_]

"A Lieberma" wrote

Not one word in this post saying he is playing a game called MSFS and not
flying a real plane

Replier be forewarned.... Especially the IFR newsgroup. Better yet,
ignore him, he is a troll.

At least three new ones for my new file. I'm surprised, but not surprised, that
people still can't resist responding.

It is starting to get quiet, though. My blood pressure is staying down, too.
Jim in NC

Old November 29th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
A Lieberma

"Morgans" wrote in
:

At least three new ones for my new file. I'm surprised, but not
surprised, that people still can't resist responding.

It is starting to get quiet, though. My blood pressure is staying
down, too. g

It was a 24 hour respite here..... What made it worse was my only safe
haven (rec.aviation.ifr) now has been smitten by this troll.....

But I am doing good.... Still have not made a direct reply :-)

Allen

Old November 29th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Garret

In article ,
A Lieberma wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

"Jim Macklin" writes:

[...]

So what? It's a reasonable question. What difference does it make what
his motivation is for asking it?

rg
Old November 29th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Garret

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Do you normally get arrival and departure procedures when you request
the IFR clearance, or does the arrival procedure not come up until you
are approaching your destination?

The latter. (Obviously you get the departure clearance up front.)

ATC will often change your routing en-route also.

I've had a lot of trouble programming a FMS with procedures on the
fly, which is why I ask. I also have to try to dig up charts on the
spur of the moment, which is awkward.

Indeed. Real flying is not trivial.

rg
Old November 30th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Ron Garret writes:

The latter. (Obviously you get the departure clearance up front.)

ATC will often change your routing en-route also.

I can see why flying with a copilot makes IFR easier.

Old November 30th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow

"Ron Garret" wrote in message

So what? It's a reasonable question. What difference does it make what
his motivation is for asking it?

Trolling is not a acceptable motivation.

Get a clue!

Old November 30th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Garret

In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

"Ron Garret" wrote in message

So what? It's a reasonable question. What difference does it make what
his motivation is for asking it?

Trolling is not a acceptable motivation.

I'm sorry, but I do not believe he is trolling. He has some annoyin
habits to be sure, but if that were sufficient reason to kick someone
off a newsgroup there would be no one here.

rg