When to descend

Old October 12th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bee

Default When to descend

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 01:13:00 -0700, Bee wrote:

They also claim that the TAA area minimum altitudes replace MSAs for
these IAPs. That is incorrect. They make MSAs unnecessay but they do
not replace them. MSAs are not IFR altitudes in this country.

Although the TAA minimum altitude, and MSA have different definitions, I
never had a problem with the concept of them being the same value when
there is a TAA published.

Well, I don't see how they can be the same value when the MSAs don't
exist. MSAs provide 1,000 feet of obstacle clearance everywhere. TAAs
provide 2,000 feet in DMAs.

But, the greater concern is someone tortures the comparision to conclude
that MSAs, where charted, must now be IFR altitudes.
Old October 12th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 08:02:15 -0700, Bee wrote:

Well, I don't see how they can be the same value when the MSAs don't
exist. MSAs provide 1,000 feet of obstacle clearance everywhere. TAAs
provide 2,000 feet in DMAs.

By definition, MSAs provide **AT LEAST** 1,000 of obstacle clearance. So
2,000' would be included.

But, the greater concern is someone tortures the comparision to conclude
that MSAs, where charted, must now be IFR altitudes.

That was always a concern in the US, even before the establishment of TAAs.
Old October 13th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
J. Severyn

"Dave Butler" wrote in message
Bee wrote:
Anyway, I certainly wouldn't fault the OP for raising the question here.
It provoked an interesting discussion and I learned from it.

Dave

I agree completely. Very good discussion. Thanks for the original question
Dan.
John Severyn

Old October 14th 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dan Luke[_2_]

"J. Severyn" wrote:

Bee wrote:
Anyway, I certainly wouldn't fault the OP for raising the question here. It
provoked an interesting discussion and I learned from it.

Dave

I agree completely. Very good discussion. Thanks for the original question
Dan.

ĄDe nada!

(Full disclosu I took the question from a thread in the Cessna Pilots Ass'n
forums)

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old October 14th 07, 09:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bee

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 08:02:15 -0700, Bee wrote:

Well, I don't see how they can be the same value when the MSAs don't
exist. MSAs provide 1,000 feet of obstacle clearance everywhere. TAAs
provide 2,000 feet in DMAs.

By definition, MSAs provide **AT LEAST** 1,000 of obstacle clearance. So
2,000' would be included.

But, the greater concern is someone tortures the comparision to conclude
that MSAs, where charted, must now be IFR altitudes.

That was always a concern in the US, even before the establishment of TAAs.

For those who didn't read the AIM much, no doubt about it.