SPOT should be ashamed

Old April 30th 08, 11:52 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.aviation.soaring,alt.satellite.gps
Pat Russell

Default SPOT should be ashamed

Why, oh why, after recognizing the need to advance the state of the
art of Search and Rescue, after going to all the trouble and expense
of designing a clever low-cost device that can communicate with two
separate satellite services and the 911 infrastructure, after going to
all the trouble of determining an accurate fix in three dimensions,
WHY DOES IT REPORT ONLY TWO OF THEM?
Old May 1st 08, 12:47 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.aviation.soaring,alt.satellite.gps
Sarah Anderson[_2_]

Pat Russell wrote:
Why, oh why, after recognizing the need to advance the state of the
art of Search and Rescue, after going to all the trouble and expense
of designing a clever low-cost device that can communicate with two
separate satellite services and the 911 infrastructure, after going to
all the trouble of determining an accurate fix in three dimensions,
WHY DOES IT REPORT ONLY TWO OF THEM?

Because there's two kinds of people, pilots and ... no, I won't
go there.

Because there's 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary
and those who don't

/ticheek

Sarah
Old May 1st 08, 01:34 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.aviation.soaring,alt.satellite.gps
5Z

On Apr 30, 4:52 pm, Pat Russell wrote:
WHY DOES IT REPORT ONLY TWO OF THEM?

Because this is a rescue device.

When is it ever necessary to rescue someone floating in mid air?

SPOT was designed for HIKERS, and I'm sure they think it's perfect. I
carry mine in the car when driving between Denver and Colorado
Springs, as mobile phone coverage is spotty if you get more than a few
miles from I-25. If I need help while soaring, it will be on the
ground.

If it was designed for pilots, it would cost at least 3 (10?) times as
much and do half of what this one does... :-(

But there's always hope that a more pilot friendly device can be built
on top of this one by adding a few more buttons or at least changing
the firmware. They will likely charge a bit more for the service as
we'd like to have a better chance of our live track getting received,
so it will need to send more position reports, thus cluttering the
bandwidth, etc...

-Tom
Old May 1st 08, 02:30 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.aviation.soaring,alt.satellite.gps
Marc Ramsey[_2_]

5Z wrote:
But there's always hope that a more pilot friendly device can be built
on top of this one by adding a few more buttons or at least changing
the firmware. They will likely charge a bit more for the service as
we'd like to have a better chance of our live track getting received,
so it will need to send more position reports, thus cluttering the
bandwidth, etc...

I looked at implementing a SPOT-like device using this technology years
before SPOT was announced, the main problem (aside from being transmit
only) is that data messages to the Globalstar network contain only a
small number of bits (56?). After one encodes latitude and longitude at
a useful resolution, about all that is left is a few bits to encode
"OK", "HELP", etc. I suspect an upgrade would require more satellites,
something which Globalstar may not be able to afford...

Marc
Old May 1st 08, 02:56 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.aviation.soaring,alt.satellite.gps
D.Rizzato

I phoned England where the provider of the 911 is located
asking to test my SPOT,s 911 I was told that there are not willing and able
have the system tested ! So if I can not test the 911
like a ELT what is the use, all it provides me with is a false security.
By the way just try the SPOT warranty system, make sure you
have your credit card on hand because you pay for everything
even if it fails when you take it out of the box

"Marc Ramsey" wrote in message
news

Old May 1st 08, 04:14 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.aviation.soaring,alt.satellite.gps
Ron Lee[_2_]

Pat Russell wrote:

Why, oh why, after recognizing the need to advance the state of the
art of Search and Rescue, after going to all the trouble and expense
of designing a clever low-cost device that can communicate with two
separate satellite services and the 911 infrastructure, after going to
all the trouble of determining an accurate fix in three dimensions,
WHY DOES IT REPORT ONLY TWO OF THEM?

Got to tell you that I would be happy to report my Lat/long to
SAR assets. Anyone local would know if the elevation is 100' or
13,000' MSL.

Think of the number of folks who would be saved with something
like Spot.

If you want altitude look into APRS. Here is some info:

http://tinyurl.com/624vv6

Ron Lee

Old May 1st 08, 04:46 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.aviation.soaring,alt.satellite.gps
JS

Perhaps I'm missing the point here?
This thing cost $150 US. What aviation instruments can you get for
"a buck fifty"? A magnetic compass costs more.
And as Tom put it, if S+R have your Lat and Lon they will likely look
for you on the ground, whatever the elevation.
Since the demise of the dial-up modem, everyone has forgotten that
bandwidth costs money.
Jim

Old May 1st 08, 07:12 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.aviation.soaring,alt.satellite.gps
noel.wade

On Apr 30, 4:47*pm, Sarah Anderson wrote:
Because there's two kinds of people, pilots and ... no, I won't
go there.

Because there's 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary
and those who don't

/ticheek

Sarah

OK, this is off-topic and probably going to come out sounding all
wrong; but Sarah, whoever you are, I love you!

Pilot... Check.
Geek... Check.
Woman... Check (or at least a safe bet, given the name *grin*)

...What a gem! If you have a significant other, tell him/her that I'm
very jealous. :-)

--Noel

Old May 1st 08, 07:59 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.aviation.soaring,alt.satellite.gps
Happy Trails

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:52:31 -0400, Pat Russell
wrote:
all the trouble of determining an accurate fix in three dimensions,

Is there somewhere in the specifications where it actually says this,
or are you just making an assumption here?

As far as I can tell, it can fulfill all it claims to by determining
lat & lon only. Did you mistakenly think you were buying an accurate
altimeter or something?

Old May 1st 08, 08:11 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.aviation.soaring,alt.satellite.gps
5Z

On Apr 30, 7:56 pm, "D.Rizzato" wrote:
I phoned England where the provider of the 911 is located
asking to test my SPOT,s 911 I was told that there are not willing and able
have the system tested ! So if I can not test the 911
like a ELT what is the use, all it provides me with is a false security.

Except for a few bits in the message itself, there is no difference
between 911, HELP, or OK. You can test it to your heart's content by
sending either of the latter messages to yourself or friends.

I don't know about the UK, but in the US, dialing 911 from my house
just to see if it works is not permitted. So I have to trust that if
I get a dial tone, I'll be able to reach 911.

It's possible that the connection between the SPOT message handling
center and their 911 center is down, but I assume the message handling
system will keep trying until a human acknowledges the request. It's
also possible the 911 button on your unit is broken, but then the LED
won't flash, and you'll know it. If the LED flashes, and if a recent
OK message went out, you can be fairly confident that the 911 will go
out as well.

As for customer support, I've had excellent response with general and
technical questions. Every business, no matter how good, will
occasionally **** someone off and with the internet, we find out about
it much more often that in the past.

Bottom line, this device is damned inexpensive for what it provides.

-Tom

SPOT D.Rizzato Piloting 0 February 5th 08 12:42 AM
SPOT D.Rizzato Owning 0 February 5th 08 12:42 AM
SPOT D.Rizzato Home Built 0 February 5th 08 12:39 AM
Bush is ashamed of what was written in his military records WalterM140 Military Aviation 0 August 12th 04 11:49 PM
It's ashamed that vOX POOPuli... B2431 Military Aviation 0 February 13th 04 07:10 PM