Sport Pilot and Glider Questions

Old February 21st 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Sport Pilot and Glider Questions

Ralph,
Since your aspiration is toward a "touring motorglider", I'd suggest
you go for a glider rating, but try to get it in a motorglider. There
are a few FBO's that have these, one I can think of is Sky King Soaring
http://www.skykingsoaring.com/ in Sedona, AZ.

The sport airplane "add on" will then be pretty much a "no brainer" as
you will have all the requisite stick time and IMO better airmanship
skills.

-Tom

Old February 21st 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I think that the bad news regarding the aircraft is that the
manufacturer needs to have the aircraft certified as light sport. Even
if an aircraft meets all the specs, the paperwork has to be files and
accepted.

The sign off process for adding a category to your sport pilots
privilege is he
FAR 61.321
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...0.1.11&idno=14

You need 2 sign offs, each from a different instructor.

Old February 21st 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks for the link to Sky King Soaring. While they are on the other side
of the US from me, a vacation in AZ might be worth considering. Also they
speak of the Diamond motorglider and I did not know of any touring
motorglider other than the Virus.

RS

ps.com...

Old February 22nd 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Ralph Steiner" wrote in message
Also they speak of the Diamond motorglider and I did not know of any touring
motorglider other than the Virus.

Then you probably need to do a bit more research before you make a buying
decision. You should also know about the Grob 109, SF-25 and SF28, Stemme S10,
L13 Vivat, Ximango, ASK-14, Carat, RF-4, RF-5, and a whole bunch I have
certainly missed.

Vaughn

RS

Old February 22nd 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

do you have a source for the exception for over 10,000ft MSL in gliders
under the LSA category?
BT

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Flying sailplanes as a Sport Pilot would limit you to flights less than
10,000 feet MSL (major problem where I fly) and a sailplane that has a Vne
of less than 120 kts."

Not quite true. There is an exception to flying over 10,000 feet. I
recall it is a maximum clearance. Also, the maximum speed is based upon
level flight operation and is not Vne. It is Vh.

Colin

Old February 22nd 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks for the list. I knew of motorgliders that don't need a tow and of
ones which may not be able to take off but which have enough power to stay
aloft but I'd not known of touring ones until I stumbled onto a web page
about the Virus and Sinus.

RS

Old February 22nd 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thank Todd, I did not think there were maybe one or two current gliders that
could qualify based on Vne limitations.

Because of the 120 knot Vne limit, my advice to our club members is to
go for the private pilot instead of the sport pilot certificate. Sport
pilots would only be allowed to fly our 2-33s and 1-26s - no L23s, L13s,
L-33s, B4s, or 1-34s.
http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/GB...sportpilot.htm

Tony V.
Old February 22nd 06, 11:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 02:43:15 GMT, "Ralph Steiner" wrote:

Thanks for the list. I knew of motorgliders that don't need a tow and of
ones which may not be able to take off but which have enough power to stay
aloft but I'd not known of touring ones until I stumbled onto a web page
about the Virus and Sinus.

Look at Eric Greenwell's excellent page,
http://webpages.charter.net/engreenwell/ASA/