Portable GPS: receiver and laptop/palm or selft contained unit

Old May 12th 04, 11:53 PM
picopirate

Default Portable GPS: receiver and laptop/palm or selft contained unit

With the rate at which GPS technology changes, I was wondering if its better
to go with a receiver interfaced with a laptop or palm so that the
software/maps can be updated more easily. Is that a misconception? What
solution provides the most functionality?

Old May 13th 04, 12:17 AM
Dan Luke

"picopirate" wrote:
With the rate at which GPS technology changes, I was
wondering if its better to go with a receiver interfaced
with a laptop or palm so that the software/maps can be
updated more easily. Is that a misconception? What
solution provides the most functionality?

To use in an airplane?

Old May 13th 04, 12:45 AM
Elwood Dowd

Software and charts can be easily updated in any configuration: panel
mount, dedicated handheld GPS unit, or PDA/laptop with a separate
receiver.

Which units provide more functionality is really dependent on the
user---which functions do you need? If you need units created for and
tested in cockpits, a dedicated unit with large buttons and an
outside-viewable screen works well. If you want terrain warnings,
color, maybe wireless weather, the PDA might be your choice. I wouldn't
use a laptop because cockpit space is limited and I nearly always have a
right-seat passenger, but if you often fly alone it could work.

Personally I'm saving up for a Garmin 430, and using an old Garmin 195
dedicated handheld. I find I have pretty much lost my investment in the
195, I couldn't sell it for a fraction of what I paid, but it still
works great and updates are readily available.

Old May 13th 04, 02:28 AM
Newps

"picopirate" wrote in message

With the rate at which GPS technology changes,

GPS technology isn't really changing. There are some changes in how the
data is displayed, but that is just software. I've had my Garmin III Pilot
for probably 5 years now. I update the aviation software approx once a
year. I also have Microsoft Streets and Trips on a PDA, that's pretty cool.

Old May 13th 04, 05:17 AM
BTIZ

it is done every day in gliders.. moving map display on an iPaq PDA running
flight navigation software.. receiving GPS data from a remote GPS
receiver/data logger

BT

Old May 13th 04, 08:18 PM
Dude

I have looked into doing this as a backup to my dual Garmins, as well as to
add other functionality.

The Tablet PC would be awesome, and the software is reasonable. The problem
is tablet PDA's with all the extra toys are not cheap. You can end up over
3k real ez.

The PDA versions have lots of possibilities, but as you add functionality
you add cost quickly. Plus, it seemed to me that the software was actually
more expensive so that you end up not saving much over the tablet solution.
I think these start at about $1400 if you get charts included.

The only real advantage appears to me to be that you can use the device for
other things. Also, while it would seem cheaper to upgrade you have to
remember that the new improved software out in 3 years will likely require a
new hardware or OS upgrade that will cost you. The new software inevitably
requires things your existing hardware won't.

I am trying to wait for the new Garmin PDA due out this fall. I wanted the
tablet pc version, but for the money, I believe I will get a regular laptop
plus the Garmin PDA.

Old May 13th 04, 08:30 PM
TripFarmer

But the "Wireless" Bluetooth technology requiring no wires sounds nice.

Trip

In article , says...

Old May 13th 04, 11:38 PM
Elwood Dowd

The PDA versions have lots of possibilities, but as you add functionality
I think these start at about $1400 if you get charts included.

AnywhereMap offers full solutions (PDA, card GPS, and software with
charts) for $899, along with some deal for continued chart subscription.
They offer both terrain and color, neither of which can be had in a
dedicated unit at that price. If I were going to upgrade I'd be hard
pressed not to go with them.

The new software inevitably requires things your existing hardware won't.

Score one for the dedicated units. My Garmin 195 is eight years old and
works gangbusters.

I am trying to wait for the new Garmin PDA due out this fall. I wanted the
tablet pc version, but for the money, I believe I will get a regular laptop
plus the Garmin PDA.

Sounds like a good solution, let us know how it goes.

Old May 14th 04, 12:33 PM
Kai Glaesner

Dude,

I am trying to wait for the new Garmin PDA due out this fall. I wanted

the
tablet pc version, but for the money, I believe I will get a regular

laptop
plus the Garmin PDA.

What's that, the "Garmin PDA"? Can you provide links to infomation about
this? Given the quality and ease of use most of the garmin stuff has, this
sounds like a good one.

Regards

Kai

Old May 16th 04, 08:13 PM
SeeAndAvoid

I have Controlvisions setup (AnywhereMap), all bluetooth.
It's a PDA (Ipaq running PocketPC for Windows),
a WAAS GPS
and a satphone - for downloading weather and email (now includes lightning).

3 units, no wires, unless you want to charge their internal batteries
with your cigarette lighter. The satphone isn't small, but the gps is
about the size of a mouse.

I have a friend that has the Ique, which is Garmins PDA, it runs on the
Palm OS. If the possibility of getting weather downloads are or might
be important to you, it's not available on any of the Garmin stand alone
units, and I'm not sure if it is on the Ique.

Read up on AnywhereMap at their forum (forum.controlvision.com), it's
not for everybody. Like PC's and Windows, you're working with a mini
pc with all the warts Windows has, setting up COM ports correctly, setting
up bluetooth, etc. But the weather downloads take about 30 seconds, and
the database updates are every 28 days and take no time at all. They update
the software often also. They recently shrunk the terrain blocks that were
16nm x 16nm down to 1nm x 1nm.

No, I don't work for them, just been a pretty satisfied customer for a
couple
years now.

Chris