Neptune at Dubbo

Old January 30th 07, 09:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Wayne Paul

Default Neptune at Dubbo

"Boomerang" wrote in message
It sure had a radome when it was old LG-11 from VP-18.

True. All the operational P-2s stationed at Whidbey Island back in the mid
1960s had radomes.

Wayne
http://tinyurl.com/yv2czg
USN (Retired)

Old January 30th 07, 10:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton

Boomerang wrote:
It sure had a radome when it was old LG-11 from VP-18.

I'm not sure I follow you there on this one. This particular
airframe was delivered new to the RAAF in '62.

Interestingly trivia time the RAAF bought this Neptune as 61-49079 from
the USAF. At the time, foreign air forces couldn't buy aircraft directly
from the manufacturers, but had to go through the relevant service.
When they were replaced, the Orions were purchased through the USN.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old January 30th 07, 10:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton

Boomerang wrote:
It should be there, someplace, maybe in the grass. All the other
photos I have of this aircraft show the APS-20 radom where iot should
be. Maybe somebody cut it off...

Yup, on checking further, I have 2 photos, circa '67 featuring the radome.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old January 30th 07, 10:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Harriet and John

"It" being the RAAF bird, yes. The other "it" is the red firefighter in
Wayne's citation which was old.LG-11

Old January 30th 07, 10:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Harriet and John

Old January 30th 07, 10:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton

"Harriet and John" wrote in message
"It" being the RAAF bird, yes. The other "it" is the red firefighter in
Wayne's citation which was old.LG-11

Ah ha , thanks, now it makes sense.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old January 30th 07, 11:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
CWO4 Dave Mann

Bob Moore wrote:
CWO4 Dave Mann wrote
I am wondering if the "flash bulb" P2V was something special cooked up
for Vietnam. We had two of them flying out of Da Nang with US Army
crews on board. That was from mid-1965 to -mid 1967.

The US Army operated AP-2E (P2V-5F) ECM aircraft from Cam Rahn Bay (67-72),
the Navy operated OP-2E with machine gun pods from Nakhon Phanon, Thailand,
and the Navy operated AP-2H armed ECM aircraft along the Ho Chi Minh Trail
from 1967 to 1969.

Bob Moore

Thanks for the corrective info Bob ... nothing like 40 years to muddle
the puddle!

Cheers,

Dave