Flaps 40 Degrees

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 11th 09, 08:52 PM
Ken Kose Ken Kose is offline
Junior Member

Default Flaps 40 Degrees

This is a great group and I'd like to ask another question that's been burning me. I rent a 172N which has the capability of 40 degrees of flaps. My instructor says, depending on wind conditions, I should use 40 degrees every chance I get. It allows me to slow the plane as much as possible before touching down. I always seem to have a harder time landing with 40 degrees. Either I will bounce a little (I think because of the steep descent) or balloon with a little too much back pressure in the flare. After doing a little research on the web, I found out that Cessna reduced the flap range on the next model 172P to 30 degrees max. They said it was to add a little more to the max takeoff weight. I have read that there were several accidents during go arounds because the 172N barely climbs with 40 degrees and you have to retract to 20 degrees immediately during a go around. Anyways, my instructor still says use 40 if wind conditions permit. I find I make smoother landings with 20 degrees and don't have to worry about flap adjustments if a go around is called for. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

VOR off by 30 degrees EK Owning 5 July 11th 08 06:51 PM
Six Degrees of Separation ON Topic Errol Groff Home Built 1 August 25th 06 04:36 PM
F-14 approach AoA, is it really 15 degrees? sttp Naval Aviation 14 June 29th 06 12:33 AM
C172 Flaps up or 10 degrees for takeoff Michelle P Piloting 39 August 28th 05 01:39 AM
How can a compass suddenly go out by 20 degrees? Bob Chilcoat Owning 25 February 21st 04 10:58 PM