Plastic Pilot Certificates Mandatory in 2009

Old January 9th 07, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Plastic Pilot Certificates Mandatory in 2009

Gary wrote:
It's got a magnetic strip on the back...I wonder what's encoded
there...

At a guess, the certificate number and your name. If it's encoded in a
standard format, there is room for at least (basically) 40 numbers-only
characters and 79 numbers-or-letters characters. If it's a "narrow"
stripe - about 5/16" or 8 mm wide - that's all it's got. If it's a
"wide" stripe - about 1/2" or 13 mm wide - there is an additional track
of 107 numbers-only characters. Reference
http://www.repairfaq.org/filipg/LINK/F_Phrack_Mag.html .

A few years back, I got a card reader and hooked it up to my PC and
looked at was on my cards. Credit cards follow a fairly standard format
but other cards vary. I had a driver's license with a mag stripe and it
had the driver's license number in the numbers-only field and my name in
the numbers-or-letters field. If I remember right, there was also some
kind of location in the numbers-or-letters field - not my complete
address but a zip code or county abbreviation, something like that.

One problem with trying to read the data on your own cards is that if
you don't own the hardware yourself or you don't know how to hook it up,
you have to really, really trust whoever owns the hardware or is helping
you hook it up.

Matt Roberds

Old January 9th 07, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

Default Plastic Pilot Certificates Mandatory in 2009 [long because of proposed rule]

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 20:30:57 -0500, in
, Bob Noel
wrote:
It's a proposed rule, published in the 5 January Federal Register

snip-1090-or-so-lines

Yeah, just like the ****in' government -- takes around 1,090 lines to try
to fix something that's not broke...
Old January 9th 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty Shapiro

"Danny Deger" wrote in
:

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
news
According to today's AvWeb's article for today, it seems that our old
paper licenses are going to no longer be valid in a couple of years...
Just as well -- they sucked for scraping frost off the inside of a
windshield anyway...

Does anyone have information on the process to get one?

Danny Deger

Go to http://www.faa.gov and then select "Licenses & Certificates". You
will find complete directions to do this either by mail, or if you
register, online. If you have a paper certificate which uses your SSN as
your certificate number it is FREE to request a new certificate with an
assigned certirficate number unrelated to your SSN. Otherwise, it will
cost you $2.

The issue date will be changed to the date they process your replacement
certificate.

---
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old January 9th 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

wrote:
It's a proposed rule, published in the 5 January Federal Register

snip-1090-or-so-lines

Yeah, just like the ****in' government -- takes around 1,090 lines to try
to fix something that's not broke...

Or, like the 16,000 pages for the NAFTA treaty, which should have been
condensed to "Have at it". But then it would _really_ been "Free Trade", not
the scam it turned out to be.

Old January 9th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...e_replacement/

Old January 10th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The Canadian government has just announced that pilot and
mechanic's licenses will be issued in a form similar to a passport
booklet, complete with picture and other security features, and
separate pages for various ratings or whatever. Everyone should have
one by mid-2008, IIRC. We've had the plastic AME license for some time
now. Pilot licenses are still paper.
But that booklet isn't going to fit in my wallet. More stuff to
pack around separately :-(

Dan

Old January 10th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

And a smuggler of drugs, a terrorist or just a "good old
boy" in Alaska doesn't need a pilots certificate just to fly
an airplane. But government agents act as though just
passing some law or rule solves the problem.

oups.com...