airport cars

Old September 8th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Lonnie[_3_]

Default airport cars

"Peter Dohm" wrote in message
.. .
"Ross" wrote in message
Kobra wrote:
Flyers,

I was reading my Pilot Getaways Mag this morning and found an article
about something I've been thinking about myself for years.

It is an internet based Airport courtesy car club. I just signed up
today because I have a POJ (piece of junk) that I keep at ACY and every
time I go there I have a dead battery because I can't drive it enough.
I've given several pilot friends the keys, but it's still rarely if ever
used by them. This despite the fact that taxi fees are about 90 round
trip with tip to get from the airport to town and it's a great location
to fly for dinner, a show, the beach, boardwalk and of course gaming.
I've always wished I could let more pilots know about the car and now
there is just such a system. The only problem is that there is limited
involvement, most likely due to lack of awareness.

I have no association with this place, but I'm gonna give it a good
sales pitch because I love this idea.

It's free to join if you provide a car. It's 50 dollars per year if you
just join. Taking a car is free! Just fill it back up and don't crash
or trash it. Keys are kept at the local FBO or in a combination
lockbox. Cars are reserved online. Car owners always have priority of
their car even if it's reserved (within reason, you can't cancel someone
just hours before their arrival)

In all honesty, nothing could be fairer or more simplistic. They just
need more members. I think there's just over 30 cars in 17 states, but
I'm sure that's changing quickly.

Here's the website: www.airportcarsclub.com

I hope you guys are excited about this as I am, because I love to fly,
but when I get somewhere I want to go out exploring, have lunch or
dinner or sightsee.

Smooth air to all,

Kobra

I thought I would put a car at a destination I go to alot but never did.
I like this idea, but how does the liability insurance work? We are all
"friends" but when an accident happens, we can turn against one another.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

A lot depends on how Airport Cars is actually organized; but if you are at
all serious you can start by asking your insurance agent and then, if you
are still interested, an attorney who specializes in business liability
and risk management. This is a really series of specialties; but I don't
recall the correct name.

Peter

Even though many insurance companies will cover you a borrowed car, many
states hold the registered owner accountable for liability insurance.

If your name is on the car, and the borrowers insurance company will not
come forward in case of an accident, you're on the hook for the liability
insurance coverage.

Old September 9th 08, 11:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Lou

Just for the fun of it, you fly to an airport, borrow the car,
go to a resteraount, while your having lunch someone backs into
the right rear quarter panel, leaves without notice and you don't see
it. You return the car fly home, the next call you get is someone
holding
you responsible for an accident you don't know about. How does that
work?
Lou

Old September 9th 08, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Vaughn Simon

"Lou" wrote in message
How does that work?

Obviously, insurance and liability issues constitute the major problem with
this business model. Perhaps what the world needs is an airport car sharing
service that also offers, and requires, appropriate insurance that protects
users and owners.

--
Vaughn

.................................................. .......
Nothing personal, but if you are posting through Google Groups I may not receive
your message. Google refuses to control the flood of spam messages originating
in their system, so on any given day I may or may not have Google blocked. Try
a real NNTP server & news reader program and you will never go back. All you
need is access to an NNTP server (AKA "news server") and a news reader program.
You probably already have a news reader program in your computer (Hint: Outlook
Express). Assuming that your Usenet needs are modest, use
http://news.aioe.org/ for free and/or http://www.teranews.com/ for a one-time
$3.95 setup fee.
.................................................. ........

Will poofread for food.

Old September 9th 08, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Peter Dohm

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"Lou" wrote in message
How does that work?

Obviously, insurance and liability issues constitute the major problem
with this business model. Perhaps what the world needs is an airport car
sharing service that also offers, and requires, appropriate insurance that
protects users and owners.

--
Vaughn

I confess to having initially committed the same error as you--failure to
read the rules posted on the "club" website.

Take a look at the FAQ. All of the needed answers are there and the model
does make sense for substantial number; but clearly a minority of pilots.

Peter

Old September 10th 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Kobra

"Steve" wrote in message

"Kobra" wrote in message
. ..
It's free to join if you provide a car. It's 50 dollars per year if you
just join. Taking a car is free! Just fill it back up and don't crash
or trash it.

It looks like providing a car is required for membership. Still a good
idea, I just wanted to clarify that point. 1st year is free if you are the
first one at your airport to join.

Yes...you are correct...I misunderstood. Thanks for the correction.

Kobra

airport cars Kobra[_3_] Piloting 24 September 16th 08 04:17 AM
airport cars Kobra[_3_] Owning 24 September 16th 08 04:17 AM
Flying Cars bryan chaisone Home Built 2 September 10th 04 07:01 PM
Air cars ? Felger Carbon Home Built 9 January 3rd 04 08:41 AM
CARs -- aerodrome vs. airport? Paul Millner General Aviation 2 July 9th 03 03:21 PM