Fuel dip stick for C182 w/long-range tanks?

Old August 9th 09, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mark Hansen

Default Fuel dip stick for C182 w/long-range tanks?

The club to which I belong has a 1978 Cessna R182 RG Skylane.
This airplane has the long-range tanks (80 gallons total, 75
gallons usable - both tanks).

I'm looking for a fuel dip stick that can be used with this
airplane. I found the following J-Air FuelHawk at My Pilot Sto

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/1176

But the sales representative says it won't work for our specific
configuration (see the Q&A at the bottom of the page). However,
another comment from a customer at that same page reveals:

However the packaging is very confusing. You must rely on the verbage "Long-Range" and
"Standard" rather than the capacity of the tanks each specifies. The "Standard" model
indicates 43.5 gallon tanks, whereas the "Long Range" indicates 42 gallon tanks. Go
figure. No one (the Pilot Store people or my mechanic)could not give me a good
explanation, nor was I able to locate the manufacturer.

Do you know whether or not the standard C-182 Long Range gauge (link
above) will work with our particular R182?

I know I can purchase the generic fuel dip stick and calibrate it
myself, but I would much rather have an off-the-shelf unit if one
exists.

Thanks,

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Old August 20th 09, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Aug 8, 7:10*pm, Mark Hansen wrote:
[...]

We have that same '78 R182 with the LR tanks and had to make our
own. But then, we make all our dipsticks. If you make one, be sure to
have the zero mark at the unusable fuel level in the tank, not at
completely empty. Some guys have been caught unawares by that, and
have run out of fuel on final when the nose is low and the remaining
fuel can't get out of the fuel port in the tank. Unusable fuel is that
fuel that won't drain from the tank with the aircraft in the most
critical attitude for flight; with some of the Cessnas, that's nose-
low. Some people think it's just the fuel in the lines ans strainer;
it's not. The unuseable fuel is the difference between the total fuel
posted on the wing next to the filler) and the capacity noted on the
fuel selector. You can also find it in the TCDS on the FAA website.

Dan

C182 Fuel Problem Richard Ross Piloting 12 April 30th 06 02:13 AM
Epoxy for Fuel Tanks Doug Palmer Home Built 1 April 12th 06 02:53 AM
C182 / SMA Jet Fuel Engine? Mike Owning 20 October 25th 05 08:33 PM
c182 fuel burn Rob Timmerman Owning 18 July 7th 04 03:46 PM
Cessna 150 Long Range Fuel Tank Install Ted Timmons Owning 3 May 16th 04 08:06 PM