The joke called TSA

Old December 20th 04, 06:08 PM
Spockstuto

Default The joke called TSA

Your tax dollars at work

HARTSFIELD ORDEAL

Our sympathies go out to anyone caught in the incredible mess at
Hartsfield International Airport on Saturday. I'm told that literally
thousands missed flights because there weren't enough TSA screeners on
duty to get the job done. Here is just one of the emails we've received
about Saturday's Hartsfield Hell:

I took my 77 year old parents to Hartsf-Jack airport Saturday. we
got there over 2 hrs. ahead of time (you know how old people have to be
early) flight was 3:20 and we arrived outside the Airtran counter at
1:20. thank goodness we were early since the cops there had traffic
blocked past the parking lots. parents picked for random screening. both
have heart problems and dad has diabetes as well as a hip problem.
screening took 1.5 hours and they missed their flight. they just got on
a flight now (11:00 pm) after 10 hours. both parents are Irish German
with an American name. not Muhammad. I am so ****ed. what are the odds
that they will come to visit my family again after this ordeal? (Donna C.)

Like the Israeli security expert said; Americans have it all wrong. We
look for terrorists. They look for weapons. There is no way these
77-year-olds should have been singled out like this, but political
correctness being the rule these TSA types can't spend their time
actually looking for those who really would present a threat.

There's another way to look at this. When a passenger walks up to an
Israeli security checkpoint the Israeli security personnel are actually
trained to observe the passenger, talk to the passenger, ask pertinent
questions and make a judgment as to whether or not this particular
person would constitute a threat. Now that I think about it, maybe were
better off with our security agents strip-searching each passenger
rather than actually trying to use their heads to make an individual
judgment.
Old December 20th 04, 06:28 PM
Peter MacPherson

And here is another example of your tax dollars at work....
But the good news they did detect 100 percent of all nail
clippers.

Fake Bomb Foils TSA, too
A week after French airport authorities lost track of a wad of plastic
explosives during a training exercise, TSA screeners at Newark International
Airport committed a similar flub, according to the Associated Press. Last
Tuesday a fake bomb, complete with wires, detonator and timer, but no actual
explosives, was planted in a bag for training purposes. While a baggage
scanning machine set off an alarm, TSA agents apparently lost track of the
bag and were unable to recover it before baggage handlers loaded it onto a
flight to Amsterdam. Airport officials in Amsterdam were able to snag the
fake bomb, and the TSA says no one was ever in danger. However, the Newark
Star-Ledger newspaper reported that over the summer, screeners at Newark
allegedly failed to detect a quarter of all fake explosives planted in bags
during weekly tests.

Old December 20th 04, 09:06 PM
Dave S

Spockstuto wrote:
Your tax dollars at work

(SNIP)

Now that I think about it, maybe were
better off with our security agents strip-searching each passenger
rather than actually trying to use their heads to make an individual
judgment.

Unfortunately, "effective" is also known as "racial profiling". If they
singled out the following for close scruitiny, the legal system in our
country would not permit it:

Young adult and middle age adult non-resident arab appearing men with
Arabic surnames.

This is the profile of the group that committed the 9/11 atrocities and
is the target population for recruiting by terrorist causes.

I've been selected several times for "random" screening. Once was
immediately post 9/11 when they were using line guys to bolster the gate
staff. I made eye contact as he walked the line. Tag.. You're it.

The other times were the result of same day, one way, cash tickets (air
ambulance crew riding commercial home after repositioning). I was
wearing my uniform and had my Part 135 operation's ID badge on. I also
was the only one out of my crew who was thanked by the screeners for not
giving them a hard time.

I'm not defending the TSA. However, the same legal system that we look
towards for "fair" treatment also looks dimly on some of our most
effective methods for ensuring security.

Dave

Old December 20th 04, 10:26 PM
Mitty

Unfortunately, "effective" is also known as "racial profiling".

Another case where political correctness has subverted simple logic.

Even children don't go fishing in areas where there are no fish because it's a
waste of time and money.

However, to be "PC," it is national policy that we waste huge amounts of time
and money searching people who have a negligible chance of being hijackers.
Which, of course, reduces the time and money available to actually work on
catching potential highjackers. Net result: Less safety, higher cost.
Old December 21st 04, 01:02 PM

Dave S wrote:

Spockstuto wrote:
Your tax dollars at work

(SNIP)

Now that I think about it, maybe were
better off with our security agents strip-searching each passenger
rather than actually trying to use their heads to make an individual
judgment.

Unfortunately, "effective" is also known as "racial profiling". If they
singled out the following for close scruitiny, the legal system in our
country would not permit it:

Bin laden counts on our legal system not permitting such common sense
precautions.

Old December 21st 04, 02:04 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

So?

I think the profiling advocates favor the singling out of young Arab
Muslims, because they once acted as terrorists.

So why not young white christians when they do the same?

How do you identify a Christian?

Old December 21st 04, 02:29 PM
OtisWinslow

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

How do you identify a Christian?

From the National ID cards we'll be required to carry.

Old December 21st 04, 02:38 PM
Roy Smith

In article et,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

wrote in message

So?

I think the profiling advocates favor the singling out of young Arab
Muslims, because they once acted as terrorists.

So why not young white christians when they do the same?

How do you identify a Christian?

One of the mantas of security is that you can identify somebody by
"Something they have, something they know, something they are". As for
the latter, when only Jews were circumcised, identifying the Christians
was easy. Think about that the next time you object to being patted
down :-)
Old December 21st 04, 03:18 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

One of the mantas of security is that you can identify somebody by
"Something they have, something they know, something they are". As for
the latter, when only Jews were circumcised, identifying the Christians
was easy.

That assumes one is either Jew or Christian.

Sick Boeing Joke. plasticguy Home Built 0 April 1st 04 03:16 PM
On Topic Joke Eric Miller Home Built 8 March 6th 04 04:01 AM
Info on a P-51 mustang called "Spare Parts" eg Home Built 3 October 28th 03 03:02 AM
Space Junk & GPS Reliability Doug Carter Instrument Flight Rules 9 July 11th 03 01:38 PM