Latest statistics on our numbers

Old February 29th 04, 06:54 PM
Stewart Kissel

Default Latest statistics on our numbers

http://www.glidingmagazine.com/Featu...cle.asp?id=400

The current issue of Soaring had an interesting article
by Chris Woods about this topic. When attempting to
describe soaring I use the analogy of comparing sailboats
to motorboats, not sure how accurate this is but it
seems to occasionaly work. Anyone have other non-Pez
techniques to describe what we do?

Old February 29th 04, 08:10 PM
Bill Daniels

"Stewart Kissel" wrote in
message ...
http://www.glidingmagazine.com/Featu...cle.asp?id=400

The current issue of Soaring had an interesting article
by Chris Woods about this topic. When attempting to
describe soaring I use the analogy of comparing sailboats
to motorboats, not sure how accurate this is but it
seems to occasionaly work. Anyone have other non-Pez
techniques to describe what we do?

Up until the late 1960's, soaring was described as an "Art, Science, and
Sport". I always liked that.

You could explain that much of what we do is an art that it is difficult to
reduce to scientific rules and it certainly has esthetic appeal. But yet,
it is also a technical activity that involves meteorology, aerodynamics, and
to an ever greater degree, computers - therefore it is also a science.
Unlike other relatively low cost aviation activities, gliders can compete in
closely contested races - a spectacular sport.

I've had pretty good luck with that pitch.

Bill Daniels

Old February 29th 04, 10:11 PM
Vorsanger1

Bill Daniels wrote

"But yet, it is also a technical activity that involves meteorology,
aerodynamics, and
to an ever greater degree, computers"

I will go along with meteorology and aerodynamics, but computers? Aside from
the design phase of the sailplanes, the use or knowledge of computers in
soaring is superfluous for the majority of pilots. I am not sure that this
thread addresses the need to attract new pilots, but we have a better chance to
deter and discourage novices if we stress the non-essential aspects of the
sport and the "difficulties" of it.

Now, let the firefight and invectives start!

Cheers, Charles
Old March 1st 04, 01:35 AM
John H. Campbell

I will go along with meteorology and aerodynamics, but computers?

It's a buzz-word and lead in point of contact for 21st Century kids. Check
out Chris Woods' article in the March SOARING, where he refers not only to
his 1960s introduction but to recent encounters with kids from the other end
of the generation gap. He anecdotally suggests high interest among kids
today for all things computer vs. all things flying (let alone soaring).
You bet. So, let's leverage off these social fashions, not to mention the
public support we can add if we bandwagon soaring as motivation for kids
towards computers.

I had the pleasure, at the SSA Convention, to have breakfast and dinner
respectively with two teen-aged PVT glider pilots. Kevin Christner is the
USA dealers's expert on flywithCE for your in-flight PDA pleasure. Robert
Ussery built a telemetering system for perfect winch launches, and aims at
UAV University studies that could make professional pilots obsolete!

BTW, both are looking for gliders to fly badges & contests. Got one to
loan?

As I like to say, "kids need the soaring movement, and we need them".

John H. Campbell
SSA Youth Committee

Old March 1st 04, 03:10 PM
John H. Campbell

When attempting to describe soaring I use the analogy of comparing
sailboats to motorboats.

Works for me, too. I even like to add "soaring has more in common with
sailing than with flying", when I get a chip on my shoulder about the very
common assumption that only people "who already know how to fly" should be
approached about soaring. Most of my ab initio students, in fact, express
an interest (often "lifelong") to learn to soar specifically, with no
interest in airplane certification. The fact that the fraction of airplane
pilots who are also sailplane pilots is so low is indeed an opportunity, but
it also betrays that these pursuits have different appeals and that the PR
efforts of the soaring community must be as weak to the general public as
they are to the airplane community (as in "gosh, if even they don't notice
us...").

Uh, anyway... See the hollywood movie "Wind" from a few years ago with
Matthew Modine and Chris Robertson--and Stellan Skarsgard mouthing the very
anology and telling hardcore sailor Jennifer Grey she should try soaring.
Sailing is to the water as Soaring is to the air. 2 dimensions on an
interface vs. 3 dimensions. Nature powered by wind and sun. An outdoors,
technical activity, with light physical activity, not arduously athletic,
inspiring us with motion, scenery... What some fish have been doing for
millenia vs. many, many birds, as in "of course humans should be doing
this--what took them so long?" (soaring is far more "natural" than sailing).
An art, a technique, a sport, an industry, a lifetime pursuit. Plenty of
competition, history, technology, heroes, stories. Sailing has yachts,
dinghies, sailboards. Soaring has Open Class sailplanes, 1-26s,
hang-gliders, paragliders. Motorsailboats are not contentious like
motorgliders, sailors have long been comfortable with the utility of a small
engine to get out of the harbor conveniently to where things get interesting
and not get stalled in a calm far away. Competition and racing are not
"evil words" in sailing that people object to seeing mentioned in the
national magazine (the major sailing organization is, I think, the US Yacht
Racing Assoc.). Sailing has long been an Olympic sport. Youth programs are
rampant, it almost borders on soccer where the real bulk of the activity is
among teens.

George Moffat has long made the parallel, especially in regards to
one-design calsses, handicapping, and regular informal "regattas".

I tried sailing in my 30s after soaring in my teens because it seemed
similar. BTW, I do have a PVT-ASEL also and would do that more if I had any
money.

--JHC

Old March 1st 04, 03:13 PM
John H. Campbell

http://www.glidingmagazine.com/Featu...cle.asp?id=400

Thanks to John Roake for all the research. I was interested to see how
sizeable the USA contingent is likely to be, I had always thought that the
UK and France were comparable despite their smaller land mass. Germany, of
course, invented the pursuit and turned it into a national trademark. Boy,
what a potential in so many remaining areas of the world.

Old March 1st 04, 08:08 PM
Robert Danewid

Yes, and that is why soaring is so fun - you can adapt it in your own
personal way! KISS or tons og high tech equipment. I love floating
around in an old glider with simple instruments and I love racing down a
cloud street with my 304 with the LX5000 "clicking" in the center of the
panel and WinPilot "clicking" on the right.

Soaring, or as we say, gliding is beautiful. The hard thing is to
explain all this to newcomers!

Robert

Jack wrote:
On 2/29/04 4:11 PM, in article ,
"Vorsanger1" wrote:

... we [would] discourage novices if we stress the non-essential aspects
of the sport and the "difficulties" of it.

Flying a glider can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be.

Jack
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old March 1st 04, 09:34 PM
Matt Herron

"John H. Campbell" wrote in message ...
[...]

I came to soaring two years ago after more than thirty years of
sailing and ocean voyaging. Never looked back. As John says, I've
wanted to soar all my life, and finally asked myself, "If not now,
when?"

I agree that sailing and soaring are closely related, and I'd like to
add one more component: motion. Far from getting seasick, many of us
love the lift and thrust of a deck under our feet in a lively seaway.
Same with soaring. I'm a vestibular junkie, and I can't get enough of
circling in a strong thermal, or that smooth elevator feeling of wave,
or the bumps and grinds of a turbulent day. Oddly enough, roller
coasters aren't nearly the same kick for this vestibular junkie. I
think it has to do with volition. IN a coaster I'm locked into
whatever movements the ride designer decided on. In a sailplane, a
sailboat, or on skis, I make the decisions about where to go, how to
move my body through space. Control makes all the difference. I call
it Dancing with Gravity.
Old March 1st 04, 10:43 PM
Chris OCallaghan

I like to think of it as the purest form of sport aviation. Soaring
has absolutely no utility. I find this its greatest attribute and
charm. Sailplane pilots fly for the love of flight. It has no
guarantees. No practical rewards -- save intangibles. Its practioners
have interest in every type of weather where updrafts may be found,
and the sport produces aircraft sturdy enough to remain controlable
and intact in most of them. Our ability to stay aloft is predicated
entirely on pilot skill, and while some may compare it to sailing, at
least a sailboat stays afloat if the wind quits!

I think, perhaps, we have a greater emotional investment than any
other distinct group in aviation -- comparable to sailors, but even
more to solo climbers, who thrive on the necessity of blending
superlative technique with unflinching concentration.

Perhaps we are comparable to any sport whose greatest rewards come
with reflection, the act itself requiring too much attention to be
thoroughly enjoyed in the moment.

Just some thoughts at tangents to the party line... ;-)