Splittng a GPS antenna to multiple devices

Old January 5th 17, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Default Splittng a GPS antenna to multiple devices

Didn't want to further derail the thread about Trig TN72.
This thread has been up before?

It is possible and functional to use one GPS antenna for multiple GPS receivers.
If you use GPS antennas that will only accept power of 3V you must put DC blockers on all but one receiver. The one receiver must then be functioning for any of the others to get GPS data.
But if the active GPS antenna is capable of accepting higher voltage, then some or all of the DC blockers are not needed.

For a couple of years I have been using a 3-way divider:

Linx Antenna Factor SH-SMA active GPS antenna.
MECA MCA803-2-1.500V .8-2.2 GHz 3-Way Pwr Divider Combiner, SMA Female Ports.

The antenna accepts 12V power and actually is a couple of dB more efficient with the higher power.
The divider has SMA input and three SMA outputs.
For the FLARM, an SMA to MMCX cable is used.
The other two devices have SMA to SMA.
Jim

The antenna was $21.50 from Mouser. I cut the cable down to what was needed.

And a cut and paste of the invoice from Talley in Santa Fe Springs, CA, with prices.

MCA803-2-1.500V 1 119.0000 EA $119.00
..8-2.2 GHz 3-Way Pwr Divider
Combiner, SMA Female Ports
* Special Order, not currently
in stock @ Meca, Lead time is
* Approximately 2-3 wks ARO +
transit time (D/S from NJ)

CXTK10K-XX 2 23.5800 EA $47.16
SMA Male to SMA Male,LMR100PVC
Cable Assy, Variable Length
Above Length = 1 foot
* All components in stock,
lead time to ship is approx
days ARO + transit from
So Cal

*** IMPORTANT NOTE ***
Custom cable assemblies are
non-cancelable/non-returnable

MISCABLE ASSY 1 26.9700 EA $26.97
CUSTOM CABLE ASSY.
Above assembly is 1-ft LMR100
w SMA-m & MMCX plug attached
* All components in stock,
lead time is approximately
Old January 8th 17, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 12:10:06 PM UTC-8, JS wrote:
[...]

Two questions: how do you get the 12V into the antenna, and does it tolerate 13.9V from a LiFePO4 (data sheet says 12)? From the rudimentary data sheet, there are 4 sma connectors as it's only terminals. Use one for power in? Now you only have 2 out?

I would like to reduce the antenna farm a little. I routinely carry 5 GPS receivers, adding TABS would be a sixth. Of those only three would have discrete external antennas, but still...
Old January 8th 17, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 9:39:13 AM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
[...]

The power is delivered from the GPS device on the antenna line. It is summed in the divider, in my case from three devices.
At work we'd call it "phantom power", it might be called that here.
Jim
Old January 8th 17, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 1:27:08 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
[...]

Changing the GPS receiver for an approved IGC flight recorder to another may invalidate the approval; if that's important to you, perhaps leave that one working independently (for badge flying, IGC contests, etc).

Old January 8th 17, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 10:27:08 AM UTC-8, JS wrote:
[...]

Any link to an actual electrical spec? Can't find much on Meca's site. Nothing that explains what goes in and what comes out.
Old January 9th 17, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 12:57:28 PM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
[...]

Jon et al, use this link for the MECA specs.
https://www.talleycom.com/viewProduc...CA803-2-1.500V

Dan, only the antenna is being changed. Three unmodified GPS receivers are providing power to and being fed from one antenna.
Jim
Old January 9th 17, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 3:20:01 PM UTC-8, JS wrote:
[...]

I saw that and the associated ap note. Both are not quite, but almost, information free. There must be somewhere that specifies what voltage goes in, what comes out, DC isolation, etc. - but I can't find it and I would be reluctant to plug $6000 worth of gear into it without knowing more.
Old January 9th 17, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 4:29:54 PM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
[...]

That's fine.
The MECA divider has been running for over 250 flight hours. So far, no smoke and I'm reluctant to add up what the electronics cost.
Jim
Old May 9th 17, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Ainslie

Jim,

I just got my splitter (the one that you used) and a GPS antenna from Digikey with the catchy part number ANT-GPS-SH-SMA-ND and connected it to my Power-FLARM, Clearnav 2 and Clearnav vario and the speed to find satellites was markedly faster on all three devices. The antenna now gets the most primo position and has a great sky view. This is a great solution, thanks for suggesting it.

The other thing I needed to make this work was a couple of cables - some of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To connect to the Clearnavs and one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To connect to the FLARM.

The FLARM manual clearly says don't do this. Huh. When I did it locked in a good GPS signal markedly faster. The lack of interference from nearby antennae plus the optimal positioning of the single antenna early seemed to pay off.

Old June 22nd 17, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Just got notification from Mousser Electronics that the Linx ANT-GPS-SH-SMA antenna is going out of production.
If anyone has an alternate antenna that will accept a higher power supply voltage, please advise.
Jim