IVAN--Pensacola NMNA survived (unconfirmed report)

Old September 22nd 04, 12:43 AM
Leanne

I have just always loved airplanes and spaceships. My idea
of a great vacation is to visit an aviation museum or air show, and my
current job has afforded me the opportunity to do a lot of that. Best
- Karen

Do you ever get over to Lakeland for Sun 'n Fun??

Leanne

Old September 22nd 04, 05:59 AM
old hoodoo

Super NEWs INDEED! Thanks Karen, for posting it.

Karen Johnson wrote:
"Jake Donovan" wrote in message news:p6P3d.52316$9Y5.33484@fed1read02...

A majority of base roads are impassable.
Generator power to selected buildings only
Reported damage to every building on station - 90% of buildings have
suffered "significant" damage.
Currently no power - no water - no sewage.
Sporadic gas leaks exist all over the base.
Phone landlines restored on limited capability this morning
Internet connectivity/Navy.mil website still down. ETR sometime Sunday or
Monday.
Base Public Affairs Office destroyed (National Historic Building) - photo
lab destroyed.
Naval Air Technical Training Center was completely under water
Pensacola Naval Air Station Museum structure held up. S-3 President Bush
flew aboard USS Abraham Lincoln is intact and undamaged.

Coast Guard station reported destroyed
Air Station Cemetery intact
Approximately 10% of power lines are down - conservative estimate.
Runways are capable - Air Control tower structure ok - Radar is down

Blue Angels
All Blue Angels operations are on hold Scheduled show this weekend in
Nantucket is canceled. Every member of Blue Angels reporting damage to
their homes - currently
working on return plan to Pensacola. May base out of New Orleans for the
rest of season. All shows for the next week are on hold

NAS Whiting Field
Every hangar at Whiting is missing its roof.
Aircraft damage in hangars is suspected. Full BDA still ongoing.
No one other than emergency personnel are allowed on base
Two-thirds of all primary air training is held at NAS Whiting
Primary and helicopter training held at NAS Whiting completely down for
approximately two weeks.

Great News!

I just read an online article from the Miama Herald that says the
museum fared very well. "There was minimum damage," said retired Vice
Adm. Jack Fetterman, president and CEO of the Naval Aviation Museum
Foundation. "The museum is in great shape." The article continues: "He
said only two of about 70 planes displayed outside on the flight line
at Pensacola Naval Air Station were damaged. Aircraft inside the
museum and a restoration building were unharmed. Other than some water
penetration near the entrance, the museum itself is fine, Fetterman
said."

Also: "We could be up for visitors within a week and a half to two
weeks," Fetterman said.

This is certainly a relief. I am still trying to reach NAS JRB NO to
confirm if the Blue Angels are temporarily moving their base there.

Best--Karen

Old September 22nd 04, 06:05 AM
old hoodoo

Lynn:

Honestly, I don't know where. I was kind of grumpy when they took the
plane and did not inquire...however I think it is near a
McDonnel-Douglas factory as it mentioned a lot of retired MD factory
workers were going to work on it. It seemed like a small city was
sponsoring it. Looks like it has found a good home. The main guy that
was taking care of the bird here in Victoria died of a heart attack and
the plane fell into a bit of a funk in terms of constant care and the
city saw a chance to get rid of it and moved quickly before the vacuum
could be filled. NEVER turn your back on a bureaucrat!

The aircraft is an F-101F, formerly a Texas Air Guard bird at Ellington,
was previously based at Tyndall AFB. There is at least one picture of
the bird flying in TANG markings and Tyndall markings but my serial
information is in a box somewhere.

AL

Al

Lynn in StLou wrote:

old hoodoo wrote:

In Victoria Texas. However the F-101 just got moved this summer to
Missouri after being here ten years. Bummer. I will never again dealt
with City politicians. They have been on a crusade to get rid of all
historical artifacts in the City. Lost a great Locomotive engine a
couple of years ago. I'm moving eventually, historically speaking, this
town sucks.

Al

Really? To where in MO? There is an F-101 at Spirit of St Louis
Airport, but that has been there several years. Am not familiar with
any other locations here in the Show Me state.

Thanks

Old September 22nd 04, 11:11 AM
Cub Driver

On 21 Sep 2004 14:22:04 -0700, (Karen Johnson) wrote:

Great News!

Thanks for the pointer, Karen. (Registering to read the article was a
pain. I wish newspapers would get over that idea.)

I've posted the article at
http://p196.ezboard.com/fwarbirdsfor...picID=17.topic
for anyone who wants to read it without registering. Since it's AP, I
reckon it's available at other sites as well.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Expedition sailboat charters www.expeditionsail.com
Old September 22nd 04, 11:17 AM
Yeff

Bookmark this site: http://www.bugmenot.com/

--

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com
Old September 22nd 04, 07:44 PM
Lynn in StLou

old hoodoo wrote:
[...]

FWIW, Spirit of St Louis airport is just west of
St Louis in the MO river bottoms. McD-D, now
Boeing, is about 10 minutes from me. What I did
notice is that the 101 at SoStL was different; at
least it had a new paint job. I am wondering if
they moved your 101 there and took the 101 that
had been there somewhere for resto. I will go
take a look later this week. Maybe it is your
101. If so, it has an okay home. Not the best in
the world.

Thanks for the response

--
Lynn in StLou
REMOVETHIS anti-spam measure to reply
Old September 22nd 04, 09:31 PM
Karen Johnson

Yeff wrote in message ...
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 06:11:16 -0400, Cub Driver wrote:

Thanks for the pointer, Karen. (Registering to read the article was a
pain. I wish newspapers would get over that idea.)

Bookmark this site: http://www.bugmenot.com/

More Blue Angels Information:

I talked to Public Affairs at NAS JRB New Orleans. He said he is "not
authorized" to release information about whether the team will
temporarily base aboard NO, except to say that the C-130 (Fat
Albert)has dropped in a few times enroute to other points. (I guess
"official" word on anything BA related should rightfully come directly
from the team PA Officer.) He also indicated that future airshow
appearances are "in limbo." Of course, our primary concern is for the
welfare of the team and their families.

Thought you might like to know there is another AP online article that
shows a picture of Commander Russ Bartlett at
http://www.naplesnews.com/npdn/flori...192844,00.html
And, FYI, there is a new web site about the original Blue Angel, Butch
Voris, at http://www.firstblueangel.com/ He has a book out.

Best to all. Karen
Old September 22nd 04, 11:06 PM
Michael Mcneil

"old hoodoo" wrote in message

Here in Victoria we had an F-101 that when we got it, we prepared pads
and metal supports to secure it and get the tires off the ground. Not a
particularly difficult or expensive task.

Sir Frances Chichester flew his Gypsy Moth through an typhoon in the
orient when he turned up at the wrong hangar to berth it. He reasoned
that it was designed to fly at the same airspeeds it was threatened
with.

What sort of planes do the US consider worth keeping that couldn't do
that?

Old September 26th 04, 04:34 PM
Frank

Hope the SNB-5P made it. It was one of the planes we used for our photo
training hops in the 50s - with Navy and Marine APs as pilots.

Frank - 34 yrs USN

"Thomas A. Hoffer" wrote in message
I copied this article segment from a local Pensacola newspaper. Looks the
exhibits suffered no damage with minor damage to the building itself.
While
it mentions some damage to static aircraft displays outside, it sounds
like
nothing was totally destroyed. I'm curious if the "significant" damage to
some planes is fixable.

" The National Museum of Naval Aviation was almost unscathed by the storm.
Nichols said there were a few leaks in the roof, but the exhibits inside
were unharmed.

Some of the historic aircraft parked on the tarmac behind the museum were
damaged, however. The canopy of an A-6 was sheared off. A couple of wings
lay on the pavement and some planes, evidently blown off their moorings,
had
collided with other aircraft, causing significant damage."