A little positive GA news coverage

Old January 1st 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default A little positive GA news coverage

How could you not know about flying while growing up?

It's not that I didn't know about flying -- I think many kids are
enamored with the notion of being in the sky. I was, too, from the
very first time I flew on a Boing 707, in 1962.

But that's a whole different thing than knowing how to get from "Boy,
is that cool" to "Boy, I could *do* that!" Neither of my parents
attended college, both grew up in the Depression, and flying was just
not something that anyone in my family ever considered doing. As a
result, it was never mentioned as anything within the realm of
possibility.

In my family the notion of owning your own airplane, or flying the
family from coast to coast, was so far "out there" as to be in the
realm of Buck Rogers. No one talked about it because, quite frankly,
my family was just as ignorant about general aviation as 98% of the
country is today.

What we need to do, as pilot-mentors, is let kids know that flying is
attainable. In order to do that, we must let the public know that
regular guys and gals are learning to fly right every day, right in
their hometowns. Once they know that schnooks like US can do it,
that'll be one less hurdle for them to clear between the road and the
runway.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old January 1st 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

But it's not Usenet.

Is that a bad thing?

So far, I've been very impressed with the other forum. There are
clearly some highly experienced, positive and upbeat people there --
some of whom I recognize from this group in years past.

And I have yet to see anyone blast anyone else, which is truly
refreshing. Imagine -- an entire conversation about flying without
anyone shouting "f*ckwit" ??

It's sad to think that there are now so few threads here that aren't
polluted with that kind of crap. Aside from it taking people's
attention away from talking about piloting, it's just depressing to
read stuff like that every day.

Happy New Year, Larry. I never thought I'd say this, but I really do
miss the days when the biggest aggravation here was you lecturing
against pilots drinking beer...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old January 1st 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rich Ahrens[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
And I have yet to see anyone blast anyone else, which is truly
refreshing. Imagine -- an entire conversation about flying without
anyone shouting "f*ckwit" ??

Still can't figure out a killfile, I take it.

It's sad to think that there are now so few threads here that aren't
polluted with that kind of crap. Aside from it taking people's
attention away from talking about piloting, it's just depressing to
read stuff like that every day.

Pot, kettle, black. Your off-topic political views smeared across
threads far and wide are just as polluting and off-topic, not to mention
your never-ending self-promotion.
Old January 1st 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rich Ahrens[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
How could you not know about flying while growing up?

It's not that I didn't know about flying -- I think many kids are
enamored with the notion of being in the sky. I was, too, from the
very first time I flew on a Boing 707, in 1962.

But that's a whole different thing than knowing how to get from "Boy,
is that cool" to "Boy, I could *do* that!" Neither of my parents
attended college, both grew up in the Depression, and flying was just
not something that anyone in my family ever considered doing. As a
result, it was never mentioned as anything within the realm of
possibility.

And you were too thick-headed to imagine it on your own, I take it. And
too lazy to bother researching the notion even if you did.
Old January 1st 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

On Jan 1, 11:39*am, Jay Honeck wrote:
But it's not Usenet.

Is that a bad thing?

In your case it is. How do you think they will take to you advertising
your motel over there?

So far, I've been very impressed with the other forum. *There are
clearly some highly experienced, positive and upbeat people there --
some of whom I recognize from this group in years past.

If you are that impressed,,,,,,,,

And I have yet to see anyone blast anyone else, which is truly
refreshing. *Imagine -- an entire conversation about flying without
anyone shouting "f*ckwit" ??

Funny, In the past week alone you have called posters "Asshole",
"Jerkoff", and "Troll". Why go over there and ruin a good thing.

It's sad to think that there are now so few threads here that aren't
polluted with that kind of crap.

Its sad to think that people like you abuse this list, and then
complain about the abuses on this list.

Happy New Year, Larry. *I never thought I'd say this, but I really do
miss the days when the biggest aggravation here was you lecturing
against pilots drinking beer...

Ill drink to that.

;-(

Old January 1st 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:
How could you not know about flying while growing up?

It's not that I didn't know about flying -- I think many kids are
enamored with the notion of being in the sky. I was, too, from the
very first time I flew on a Boing 707, in 1962.

But that's a whole different thing than knowing how to get from "Boy,
is that cool" to "Boy, I could *do* that!" Neither of my parents
attended college, both grew up in the Depression, and flying was just
not something that anyone in my family ever considered doing. As a
result, it was never mentioned as anything within the realm of
possibility.

Pretty much the same here. And my mother hates flying and has only
flown once in her life. She felt she had to fly with me once after I
got my private and so she made ONE trip around the pattern and never
looked outside the airplane! She was dead set against me flying, but
I'm not one to be easily deterred. :-)

In my family the notion of owning your own airplane, or flying the
family from coast to coast, was so far "out there" as to be in the
realm of Buck Rogers. No one talked about it because, quite frankly,
my family was just as ignorant about general aviation as 98% of the
country is today.

After reading about Lindy when I was probably 9 or 10, I figured
anything was possible in a small airplane!

What we need to do, as pilot-mentors, is let kids know that flying is
attainable. In order to do that, we must let the public know that
regular guys and gals are learning to fly right every day, right in
their hometowns. Once they know that schnooks like US can do it,
that'll be one less hurdle for them to clear between the road and the
runway.

I don't at all disagree with the mentorship concept, however, I don't
think that is the crux of our problems today. Flying is simply getting
so regulated, so expensive and so controlled by lawyers and insurance
companies, that it isn't the same experience it was even 30 years ago
when I started let alone 60 years ago when my instructor started.

And it does take a fair bit of attention span for someone, especially a
teen, to get their license. If they don't have some innate drive and
desire to do so, then all of the mentorship in the world won't matter.
It sounds like in your case it would have made a difference, but for me
I was always self-motivated and learned on my own what I needed to know
and then just went for it. A mentor would have added nothing to me.

Matt
Old January 1st 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 22:32:51 -0800 (PST), Jay Honeck
wrote in
:

"The Aviation Forum", and it's a moderated group of
enthusiastic, positive, upbeat pilots. See it he http://www.aviationforum.org

It looks like it's run by a pilot:

The biggest downside I see is that it has a similar user interface as
does the BMW LT forum and one or two others I visit now and then. I
find the interface a pain to use as compared to good old usenet. I
found after a couple of weeks I visited the BMW forum less and less
whereas I've used usenet for probably 20 years now and haven't tired of
it yet and the interface is inherently simple to use and most
newsreaders don't add unnecessary complication.

Matt
Old January 1st 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip

On 1 Jan, 17:31, Rich Ahrens wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"F. Baum" wrote in news:e1e843a1-91b0-4251-81b9-
:

On Jan 1, 8:33 am, Rich Ahrens wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 31 2007, 2:01 pm, "F. Baum" wrote:
**** YOU! This is probably one of the LEAST "self-absorbed" people in
this newsgroup.
What planet do you live on?
Rich, this guy has made one post here and 6 posts over at
ALT.DRUGS.HARD. I think the poor guy has issues.
Frank

But ast least Jay has found a new supporter.

I had a look at his posts over ot alt.drugs.hard

Yipes!

Wow - wanting to do methadone recreationally and expecting it to improve
his work performance. Jay attracts the finest type. Maybe the guy works
in housekeeping for him

Snort!

Bertie
Old January 1st 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip

On 1 Jan, 06:32, Jay Honeck wrote:
I wish everyone would take the attitude of, "If you don't have something
nice to say, don't say anything."

I think I've found a land where this attitude prevails, Jim. *It's
called "The Aviation Forum", and it's a moderated group of
enthusiastic, positive, upbeat pilots. *See it hehttp://www.aviationforum.org

l;ooks greast I signed up straight away!

Thanks Jay!

Bertie
Old January 1st 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip

Hey jay, what's your username? I need it for a reference.

Kisses

Bertie