Pazmany PL4

Old February 24th 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
(Keith Sowter)

Default Pazmany PL4

Why were there not many Pazmany PL4's built ?

Here's one I saw Fly back in 1982 at Red Deer Alberta

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1019962/
Old February 24th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"(Keith Sowter)" wrote in
:

Why were there not many Pazmany PL4's built ?

Here's one I saw Fly back in 1982 at Red Deer Alberta

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1019962/

All of his airplanes are quite complex to build. They're al beuatifully
engineered, but have about twice the build time of any equivelant airplane.
You see very few PL-1s and there are only two PL 9 Storchs that look like
they will be completed. I've seen one of the Storchs under construction and
the complexity is just mindblowing. You could knock out a Volksplane in a
few months ( not hard to build a wing in a weekend) and a Jeanie's Teenie
wasn't much more complicated either. The PL4 is a structural jewel, though,
and it's handbook was sold as a "how to" for amateur construction.

Bertie
Old February 25th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WJRFlyBoy

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:10:41 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Here's one I saw Fly back in 1982 at Red Deer Alberta

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1019962/

All of his airplanes are quite complex to build. They're al beuatifully
engineered, but have about twice the build time of any equivelant airplane.
You see very few PL-1s and there are only two PL 9 Storchs that look like
they will be completed. I've seen one of the Storchs under construction and
the complexity is just mindblowing. You could knock out a Volksplane in a
few months ( not hard to build a wing in a weekend) and a Jeanie's Teenie
wasn't much more complicated either. The PL4 is a structural jewel, though,
and it's handbook was sold as a "how to" for amateur construction.

Bertie

Not worth the extra effort (or cost)?
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
Old February 25th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

WJRFlyBoy wrote in
:

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:10:41 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Here's one I saw Fly back in 1982 at Red Deer Alberta

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1019962/

All of his airplanes are quite complex to build. They're al
beuatifully engineered, but have about twice the build time of any
equivelant airplane. You see very few PL-1s and there are only two PL
9 Storchs that look like they will be completed. I've seen one of the
Storchs under construction and the complexity is just mindblowing.
You could knock out a Volksplane in a few months ( not hard to build
a wing in a weekend) and a Jeanie's Teenie wasn't much more
complicated either. The PL4 is a structural jewel, though, and it's
handbook was sold as a "how to" for amateur construction.

Bertie

Not worth the extra effort (or cost)?

Depends on what you want at the end of the build. For some builders the
build is everything. Some guys never even fly their own creatons, they just
want to build. They are high quality airplanes, though. THe Taiwanese Air
Force built PL1s as trainers for both their pilots and engineers. I think
they still might have them.
The PL 4 certainly got glowing revues when it came out first. Laszlo
Pazmany was and is regarded as one of the finest lightplane designers
going.

Bertie