other Russian "advisors" in combat?

Old January 6th 04, 05:46 PM
David Windhorst

Default other Russian "advisors" in combat?

I've Googled this, but haven't been able to narrow it down enough yet to
get a workable number of finds, so I'll ask he have Russian/Sovbloc
pilots flown combat missions, openly or otherwise, for their
client/customer states in other conflicts since Korea?

Thanks.

David

Old January 6th 04, 08:37 PM
No Spam!

David Windhorst wrote:
I've Googled this, but haven't been able to narrow it down enough yet to
get a workable number of finds, so I'll ask he have Russian/Sovbloc
pilots flown combat missions, openly or otherwise, for their
client/customer states in other conflicts since Korea?

Thanks.

David

Yes. Lots of hits; try searches such as
- {+Israel +Arab +war +"soviet pilots"}
- {+Africa +advisors +"soviet pilots"}

For example, see:

Middle East
-----------
From "The 1973 Arab-Israeli War" at
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/navy/pmi/1973.pdf
"Following this escalation, Egypt sought and obtained increased
assistance from the Soviet Union in the form of surface-to-air missiles
(SAMs) and additional Soviet fighter aircraft (with Soviet pilots to fly
them). There was a direct Soviet-Israeli air battle on 30 July 1970,
resulting in five Soviet aircraft downed with no Israeli losses."

Vietnam
-------
(I can't believe I'm quoting Pravda as a source!):
From "A Story Not About A Hero" at
http://english.pravda.ru/main/18/90/...227_pilot.html
"Americans had no other chance to obtain the plane [Mig-25] but
arranging hijacking of a plane because Russian pilots were strictly
forbidden to cross the front line during flying on their assignments.
Thousands of Soviet pilots participated in the war in Vietnam which
lasted 10 years and Belenko could receive from them the information
about the rewarded promised by Americans."

Africa
------
From "The Soviet-Ethiopian Liaison" at
http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/a...ec/payton.html
"Soviet pilots reportedly filed false reports with air traffic
controllers along the routes to mask the nature of their missions and
the on-board cargo. To relieve the strain placed on the Cuban air force,
which was contributing pilots for the Ogaden conflict, it was reported
that as many as 30 Soviet air defense pilots were transferred to Cuba to
fly MiG-21 interceptor missions."