Fine example of Tarver Engineering release for service

Old March 2nd 04, 01:33 PM
mah

Tarver Engineering wrote:

The sole reason for using a static port is so the guts can be removed from
the pitot tube, in order to improve reliability. A pitot port produces no
static pressure datum.

Just as an example, when the aircraft is sitting still on the ground -
airspeed = 0. Since the pitot and static ports are in the same state,
doesn't that imply that static pressure is present at the pitot port?

MAH
Old March 2nd 04, 01:37 PM
mah

Rich Ahrens wrote:

Yes, those static ports are pretty unreliable! :-)

All those moving parts...

Yep, I've got a can of static port grease on the shelf next to my bottle
of horn fluid and the box of muffler bearings.

MAH
Old March 2nd 04, 05:16 PM

mah wrote:

Rich Ahrens wrote:

Yes, those static ports are pretty unreliable! :-)

All those moving parts...

Yep, I've got a can of static port grease on the shelf next to my bottle
of horn fluid and the box of muffler bearings.

MAH

....and the coil of shoreline, the bottle of propwash and the
paint for the last post?...
--

-Gord.
Old March 2nd 04, 05:53 PM

mah wrote:

Tarver Engineering wrote:

The sole reason for using a static port is so the guts can be removed from
the pitot tube, in order to improve reliability. A pitot port produces no
static pressure datum.

Just as an example, when the aircraft is sitting still on the ground -
airspeed = 0. Since the pitot and static ports are in the same state,
doesn't that imply that static pressure is present at the pitot port?

MAH

Sure it's there, but it's there only until the a/c starts to
move. It's then no longer 'static pressure' because it's been
raised by the ram effect of the movement.

That's why you now need a 'static port' to supply the static
pressure to use as a reference. Is it really that difficult to
see?!?
--

-Gord.
Old March 2nd 04, 06:36 PM
B2431

From: "Gord Beaman" )

mah wrote:

Rich Ahrens wrote:

Yes, those static ports are pretty unreliable! :-)

All those moving parts...

Yep, I've got a can of static port grease on the shelf next to my bottle
of horn fluid and the box of muffler bearings.

MAH

...and the coil of shoreline, the bottle of propwash and the
paint for the last post?...
--

-Gord.

Always good to have about 50 feet of flightline in case something gets loose.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old March 2nd 04, 06:39 PM
B2431

Tarver Engineering release for service
From: "Gord Beaman" )
Date: 3/2/2004 11:53 AM Central Standard Time
mah wrote:

Tarver Engineering wrote:

The sole reason for using a static port is so the guts can be removed from
the pitot tube, in order to improve reliability. A pitot port produces no
static pressure datum.

Just as an example, when the aircraft is sitting still on the ground -
airspeed = 0. Since the pitot and static ports are in the same state,
doesn't that imply that static pressure is present at the pitot port?

MAH

Sure it's there, but it's there only until the a/c starts to
move. It's then no longer 'static pressure' because it's been
raised by the ram effect of the movement.

That's why you now need a 'static port' to supply the static
pressure to use as a reference. Is it really that difficult to
see?!?
--

-Gord.

Should we tell tarver static ports existed before pitot tubes were used in
aircraft?

From my experience most aircraft have static ports separate from the pitot
tube.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old March 2nd 04, 07:00 PM
PosterBoy

From: "Gord Beaman" )

mah wrote:

Rich Ahrens wrote:

Yes, those static ports are pretty unreliable! :-)

All those moving parts...

Yep, I've got a can of static port grease on the shelf next to my bottle
of horn fluid and the box of muffler bearings.

MAH

...and the coil of shoreline, the bottle of propwash and the
paint for the last post?...
--

-Gord.

Always good to have about 50 feet of flightline in case something gets

loose.

Even so, no worries.
Secure it with the skyhook, and give it a turn or two with a left-handed
monkey wrench. Right as rain.

Cheers.

Old March 2nd 04, 07:53 PM
running with scissors

mah wrote in message ...
Rich Ahrens wrote:

Yes, those static ports are pretty unreliable! :-)

All those moving parts...

Yep, I've got a can of static port grease on the shelf next to my bottle
of horn fluid and the box of muffler bearings.

MAH

right next to a Splap in an as removed state
Old March 2nd 04, 10:45 PM
The CO

"mah" wrote in message

Just as an example, when the aircraft is sitting still on the ground -
airspeed = 0. Since the pitot and static ports are in the same state,
doesn't that imply that static pressure is present at the pitot port?

Sure, unless:
1) The aircraft is moving
2) The wind is blowing
3) Either 1) or 2)
4) Both 1) and 2)

At that point the pressure is no longer static - so you need a static
port.
IIRC in fact, for an aircraft to be certified for IFR it has to have an
alternate
static source *as well*. Pitot pressure ceases to be equal to static
pressure
once the air is in motion relative to the port.
Whether the air moves on its own or the plane moves
through it is irrelevant.

The CO

MAH