Handheld Nav/Com Radios

Old August 23rd 04, 09:33 PM
TripFarmer

Jim,

I use some 2200mh NiMH AAs with a MAHA brand charger. I paid about $60 for
the charger and about $3 per battery. They do discharge about 1% per day on
the shelf but with the charger I can keep 4 of them "trickle charged"
and ready. I use them in everything and actually have 12 batteries. I
have just started using them in my new Garmin 295 (used). The previous
owner got 2.5 - 4 hours on a set of AAs. I have used my NiMH AAs for 5.5
in one day and not come close to them being dead. If you use many AAs I
would recommend looking at good rechargable AAs (not the ones you buy at
Wal-Mart).

Trip

In article , says...

Pretty close to right.

Early nicads had a terrible memory problem. Today's nicad chemistry has gone a
long way towards solving the problem, but has not completely eliminated it. The
main problem with nicads today is shelf life due to self discharge and the nasty
chemistry when they go to the landfill.

Alkalines (including rechargeable alkalines) have what is called "five year
chemistry". That is, they can sit on the shelf for five years and still give
rated output when put into service.

NiMH are the poor shelf life that you were probably thinking of. Excellent
power/weight/size ratio, but very poor in the self discharge arena.

Li-ion is probably the best mix of all, but expensive.

Jim

(Dave Burton)

-
-Exactly wrong. NiCads don't have a memory problem and alkalines self
-discharge like crazy. I'd be happy to supply the research data proof
-on the NiCads and if you want to lose the self discharge problems go
-with a lithium battery pack. I'd just stick with fresh alkalines for
-a couple of bucks, and do.

http://www.rst-engr.com

Old August 24th 04, 01:10 AM
SFM

There hasn't been a 'memory' problem in nicads for decades. It is an old
tale that is untrue. Over charging NiCAD can cause volatge sag issues but if
you have a decent charge that is not a problem. LiION, NiMH on the other
hand have a much higher energy density per unit of weight than NiCad but
they self discharge very quickly. They also have a finite life of only a few
hundred charge/discharge cycles. For radios that sit in your flight bag you
are much better to use NiCad's. But even those are discouraged for use
because of disposal issues. Cadmium is very bad for the environment. That
means the best overall solution is probably NiMH.

Scott

Catch the wave!
www.hamwave.com

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we." - George W. Bush

-------------------------------------
"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Dave Burton" wrote in message
Exactly wrong.

Huh? Describing your own post?

NiCads don't have a memory problem

Of course they do. Continually charge them before they are fully

discharged
and you will find they no longer take a full charge. There's a dramatic
difference in lifetime between a NiCd battery that is always fully
discharged and one that's not, with the always-discharged one coming out

way
ahead.

and alkalines self discharge like crazy.

If by "self discharge like crazy" you mean "hold a charge for years", then
you're right. Otherwise, you're on crack.

I'd be happy to supply the research data proof
on the NiCads

I've got all the research data proof I need, having both killed NiCd
batteries early, and babied NiCd batteries to decade long lifetimes.

and if you want to lose the self discharge problems go
with a lithium battery pack.

Li-ion batteries self-discharge way faster than alkalines. To make

matters
worse, if you allow them to be stored at full charge, they wind up with a
"memory effect" very similar to that found with NiCd batteries (albeit for

different reason).

Old August 24th 04, 01:18 AM
john smith

Jim Weir wrote:
I have standardized on NiMH for all my stuff that needs a fair slug of juice to
run -- digital cameras, handheld radios, and the like. For clocks and such that
suck microamps, I have standardized on alkaline Renewals (*). If it was mine,
I'd use NiMH. I have found the best source to be Thomas Distributing for
quality AND price.

I have gotten away from alkaline RENEWALs.
They have a tendency to leak, damaging whatever battery holder they were in.
Also, they lose a portion of their capacity with each recharge (this
from a RAYOVAC tech and observed behavior).
The capacity of NiMH AA cells continues to increase.
At OSH this year, you could purchase 4 AA 2300 mAhr cells for $10.

Old August 24th 04, 06:03 AM
Newps

TripFarmer wrote:
In the long run charging a battery that fast will ruin it. They need slow
charging.

They're like $2 each. I've already saved many times the cost of regular
camera batteries.

Old August 24th 04, 05:12 PM
BllFs6

well

if you WANT high capacity batteries that can take the heat and have lots of
umpph and store well....

Look for LITHIUM chemistry based AA's

they have 2 to 4 times the capacity of regular alkaline AA's.....

Ive seen em at Walmart etc.....but they are usually on the counter, not with
the rest of the batteries....

And they cost 5 buck for 2 (4?), give or take a bit....

But hey, for emergency backup....whats a few buck here or there compared to all
the other BIG costs you have

take care

Blll