DC-3 engine idle speed??

Old July 22nd 05, 12:38 AM
Gudmundur

Default DC-3 engine idle speed??

Can anyone here tell me the minimum engine idle speed for
a DC-3. Is there a listing for this rpm in any of the engine
or aircraft service literature from all those years ago?

Old July 22nd 05, 05:12 PM
Robert Little

This info should be found on the Type Certificat Data Sheet.

Old July 23rd 05, 03:13 AM
Rob McDonald

Everything you everwnted to know about the DC3 and more is probably on this
site:

http://www.douglasdc3.com/

Rob

Old July 24th 05, 06:52 PM
Ed Sullivan

"Gudmundur" wrote in message
Can anyone here tell me the minimum engine idle speed for
a DC-3. Is there a listing for this rpm in any of the engine
or aircraft service literature from all those years ago?

Among the data in the link provided it says 500rpm

Old July 31st 05, 05:02 AM
The Raven

"Gudmundur" wrote in message
In article ,

says...

"Gudmundur" wrote in message
Can anyone here tell me the minimum engine idle speed for
a DC-3. Is there a listing for this rpm in any of the engine
or aircraft service literature from all those years ago?

Among the data in the link provided it says 500rpm

Thanks guys. This helps me lay a myth to rest. I met an old codger
who says he could run parallel to the direction of the propeller
slightly in front, and slip through to the rear without getting killed.
Claiming if he was moving at the speed of the prop, and parallel to
it's motion he could slip between the blades from front to back and
the worst that ever happened was it threw him out of the way.

Unlikely, as you've already surmised.

500rpm, would be 8.333 revs per second. With 3 blades he would
have 40 milliseconds before the next blade was hitting him.
I guess anything is possible. He was a powerplant mechanic. Maybe
he could turn the idle way down and perform this feat. Or turn
his blood alcohol up and be the biggest bull****ter I ever met.

Perhaps not at idle but while the engine was being cranked on starter?
What's the cranking speed? Still, I doubt the story is true.

Hmmmm, guess he never tried jumping into a turbine. Probably
wouldn't doubt he slept in a few that weren't running however.

Oh well, interesting tale.

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3