U. S. Navy websites - where did they go?

Old May 3rd 04, 03:32 AM
Ogden Johnson III

William Hughes wrote:

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

William Hughes wrote:

Whatever your problem may be, it doesn't seem to have been
generated at the navy.mil sites. Do you use DHCP? Have you
tried a reset/renewal of the DHCP lease?

Huh? Ogden, I'm a dial-up user at texas.net. I don't speak "DHCP", whatever that
is.

OK, on dial-up, you essentially get what DHCP does every time you
dial-up. The settings in your DUN TCP/IP protocol are probably
set to automagically obtain your IP, DNS Server IPs, Gateway,
etc. from your ISP.

For those of us with cable/DSL/etc. connections, Dynamic Host
Control Protocol is the automated way of getting the IPs for your
DNS servers, etc., set regularly and automagically by your ISP,
rather than having those IPs permanently set in the software
configuration of TCP/IP settings of your NIC card. Same end
effect.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.
Old May 4th 04, 01:12 AM
William Hughes

On Sun, 02 May 2004 18:45:01 -0400, in rec.aviation.military.naval Andrew C.
Toppan wrote:

On Sun, 02 May 2004 12:25:49 -0500, William Hughes
wrote:

Both chinfo.navy.mil and history.navy.mil appear to be offline; I keep getting
DNS errors when I try to access them. Did the Navy change their URLs?

They work fine. The problem is at your end.

Yeah. The sites are accessible from the computers at work, hooked up to SBC.
Texas.Net continues to deny that there is a problem - tells me to contact
someone at navy.mil. Of course, that is the problem - I _can't_ get through.
Time to start looking for a new ISP, again.