dont have a cow over cbs news

Old January 17th 04, 05:08 AM
tony zambon

Default dont have a cow over cbs news

i saw the story on cbs and agree it was a sloppy one sided piece of crap,
but don't worry . just for the hell of it I went to work the next day and
asked all 37 people there if they had seen a report last night about
airplanes. a grand total of 3 yes 3 people remembered the report and only 1
person could give a reasonable account of it. it kind of confirms the in one
ear out the other attention span of today's television viewers.
so by all means scorch cbs news, they were incredibly sloppy but don't
worry most people will have forgotten it in minutes.\

tony zambon
grumman 9941L

p.s. in case anyone want to comment on my wasting time at work i m like the
army, I get more done by 7 a.m. than most people do all day.

Old January 17th 04, 02:45 PM
Harry Gordon

Tony, I agree with you. I have talked to a number of people since the airing
of the report. They all know that I am a pilot and NOT one has said anything
to me about the report. My mother-in-law didn't even say anything about it.
Of course that could also mean they don't watch CBS news either :-).

Harry

m...

Old January 17th 04, 03:49 PM
David Reinhart

I've been using news.google.com to see what kind of reaction the CBS story has
been generating the in the press and the answer is pretty much: zero.

I agree they're a bunch of jackasses and we should try and get them to change
their tune, but I'm not, at this point, all that concerned about the damage
they've done to GA. I've pummeled them with emails and I have draft responses
ready to go should anything show up in our local papers, etc., but so far
nothing.

Dave Reinhart

Old January 17th 04, 04:36 PM
John Harlow

i saw the story on cbs and agree it was a sloppy one sided piece of
crap, but don't worry .

Absolutely. A far worse problem for us is the seemingly endless stream of
moronic pilots who continue to bust TFRs and fly drunk. What the hell is
wrong with these people?

Old January 17th 04, 04:38 PM
C J Campbell

"David Reinhart" wrote in message
| I've been using news.google.com to see what kind of reaction the CBS story
has
| been generating the in the press and the answer is pretty much: zero.
|
| I agree they're a bunch of jackasses and we should try and get them to
change
| their tune, but I'm not, at this point, all that concerned about the
damage
| they've done to GA. I've pummeled them with emails and I have draft
| ready to go should anything show up in our local papers, etc., but so far
| nothing.

I suspect that these stories are a political trial balloon. They will be
followed up with polls asking if the public feels safe from small airplanes
and if they think the Bush administration should do more to ensure security
at small airports. If the polls show that the public is not particularly
concerned even after these broadcasts then we will never hear about them.

OTOH, if the polls show that the public is sensitive about this issue, watch
for more polls questioning the administration's competence on national
security. Democratic candidates will begin talking about how the Bush
administration is doing a poor job in securing small airports and that the
war in Iraq is draining money that should be used for security instead.

Expect minor candidates to bring up the issue first. If it affects the
polls, then major candidates will trot out sympathetic pilots who will
demand that the government do something to protect our airplanes and our
airports. It may never become a major campaign issue, but it might get brief
mention in advertisements critical of the Bush administration.

If the Democrats win, then they will fulfill their campaign promises by
providing some kind of aid for small airports, probably in the form of loans
to buy fencing, gates, prop locks and the like. Or perhaps the Republicans
will develop similar aid programs just to show that they are doing
something. IOW the pilots and airports will still have to pay for it, but
the politicians will take all the credit.

Expect insurance rates to go up at airfields that have less security, too.

So you see that it really does not matter much what the public believes.
Sooner or later a lot of time and effort will be spent on small airport
security and we will have to pay for it ourselves even as the government
says it is helping us.

Old January 17th 04, 05:18 PM
Dan Luke

"John Harlow" wrote:
A far worse problem for us is the seemingly endless stream of
moronic pilots who continue to bust TFRs and fly drunk.
What the hell is wrong with these people?

Perhaps you have noticed that morons, in the figurative sense we are
using here, comprise a not inconsiderable portion of the general
population. If anyone has a practical method of excluding them from the
pilot population, I would be interested to hear it. They do a fair job
every year of removing themselves, but there seems to be an
inexhaustible supply of replacements.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old January 17th 04, 05:27 PM
Gene Seibel

Good point. It would have been much worse in the days of only three
channels and respected anchors.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

Old January 17th 04, 07:17 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Gene Seibel" wrote in message
om...
Good point. It would have been much worse in the days of only three
channels and respected anchors.

When would that have been..."three respect anchors"? Evidence coming in
shows that the "respect" was badly misplaced (Cronkite, others).

Old January 17th 04, 07:26 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

"Gene Seibel" wrote in message
om...
Good point. It would have been much worse in the days of only three
channels and respected anchors.

When would that have been..."three respect anchors"? Evidence coming in

.................................................. ..................respected
shows that the "respect" was badly misplaced (Cronkite, others).

Old January 17th 04, 08:41 PM
G.R. Patterson III

C J Campbell wrote:

If the Democrats win, then they will fulfill their campaign promises by
providing some kind of aid for small airports, probably in the form of loans
to buy fencing, gates, prop locks and the like.

Not if the Dems in Massachusetts and New Jersey are any indication. They just
order the aircraft owners and/or airports to buy and install the stuff.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."