EAW on Nvidia onboard-bad, bad drivers!

Old March 24th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.simulators

Default EAW on Nvidia onboard-bad, bad drivers!

Hi-I wanted to ask a question. I have Gf 6150 onboard VGA. Performance-wise, it
should be enough for European Air War (I haven't got a problem with anything
else). I tried to use an older driver-I mean, I have changed the .inf file to
correspond to C51 chip(set). However, the driver does not work. I tried to modify
Forceware 77.77 -(and no, I didn't made a typo in the .inf file!), as it works
great on other machines I have tried EAW on (AGP Gf2 and Gf5200). Question(s)
is/a

-Can EAW be played on Gf series 6 VGA-cards at all? My neighbour has PCI-E 6600,
and not even 77.77 helps him to avoid dreadful 7217 error message (his card works
fine with 77.77 driver, though). It seems that 77.77 does not "tickle" 6150 to
work properly (although .inf pointers are the same in Fware 80+series as for Gf
6200, for example). Anybody knows how to "excite" it?

-The lowest official Forceware series number for my C51 (6100, 6150) is 80.40. I
have read that Forceware series 6x.xx should be used for EAW, so I am little
puzzled here, since EAW DOES work on Gf5200/Gf2 with 77.77. However, it is
pointless for me to try even older driver than 77.77. Or isn't it...?

-I have even obtained PCI (not a PCI-E, just pure PCI!) Riva TNT 64 just for EAW.
EAW works with it, but I am stuck to venerable Vanta (on Athlon 64!!!) with that
driver, since 6150 refuses to work with 77.77, and EAW doesn't work with 80+ Fware
series!! I have to do plug/unplug it+restore. Quite messy. Where in the world
Nvidia finds its driver-programmers? Albania? Iraq?

Any help (or even -proven driver- link) is appreciated. I am quite on the edge of
losing my patience-please excuse my bad manners. Those guys at Guru3d.com were not
much heplful-most of them are bunch of geeks running after (unperceptible high
number of) FPS on overly expensive video-cards. I even had to mod Riva Tuner to
get some support for C51-by myself!

Nele