Updating Avionics - How I Remember What's What!

Old October 29th 19, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Updating Avionics - How I Remember What's What!

Updating files/firmware on my avionics should be easy. Then why is it so hard?

Heck, I am an electrical engineer. I have been around computers since high school (early 70's). I was in Information Technology for MANY years and still do this on a volunteer basis. I should be able to handle this!

I think that the answer is in several parts;

- There are multiple files for each device to upload/download; firmware, waypoint databases, FLARM databases, obstacle databases, SUA databases, IGC files, etc, etc.
- What is the URL to find these much needed files?
- Each device seems to need its own specifically formatted file - just look at the turnpoint database! Some instruments are mentioned there by name but others use a "generic" format of a file - but which one to use?
- There are multiple methods to upload/download. With a cable? Via a memory stick? Then where does the file go on the stick (root or a folder)? Does the install happen when the device is booted or when the device is already on? Does the install happen automatically or do you have to manually do something?
- While the avionics manufacturers create wonderful devices it is a fact of life that their manuals seem woefully inadequate for the task at hand and/or become obsolete from lack of updating.
- Is my recorder's re-calibration due so I don't miss getting credit for my epic flight?
- And critically, I only perform this task about once a year and I FORGET the magic steps of what to do!

HELP!

As my own panel evolved from "steam gauges" to a "glass cockpit" I kept my sanity by creating a spreadsheet of the how-tos, where-froms and the tricks-of-the-trade.

BOTTOM LINE: If you are interested in using my spreadsheet as a template for your own cockpit it can be found here = http://aviation.derosaweb.net/forms/

Comments welcome.

Best of Luck,
John OHM Ω
Old October 29th 19, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Great Idea, Thanks for sharing

Brian
Old October 29th 19, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 08:13:27 -0700, John DeRosa OHM Ω
http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:

As my own panel evolved from "steam gauges" to a "glass cockpit" I kept
my sanity by creating a spreadsheet of the how-tos, where-froms and the
tricks-of-the-trade.

I've done more or less the same as you, except that I keep URLs,
reminders, etc in a set of locally held web pages rather spreadsheets.

The reasons for writing a set of reference web pages a

- they are easily created with your favourite text editor, regardless of
whether its WordPad, gedit or even (shock-horror) vi or emacs), and it
doesn't matter which spreadsheet program or web browser you use:
plain-text web pages can be displayed with any browser.

- prefer web pages to bookmarks because:
(a) bookmarks are not generally sharable with a different web browser
(b) very few web browsers let bookmarks hold more than a URL and
page or website name

- self-created web pages can hold as much text and or reminders as you
want and are easily organised into paragraphs, bullet lists, numbered
lists and pictures. In addition you get to organise the page by adding
headings and can include links to other local pages and pictures as
well as to websites.

If this sounds like a good way for you to go, I can thoroughly recommend
picking up a a copy of Elizabeth Castro's book

"HTML, XHTML, and CSS, Sixth Edition".

Its very readable and has lots of useful examples as well well-organised
reference material. Its cross-referencing and indexes make finding stuff
very easy too. I have the 5th edition.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old October 29th 19, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Tuesday, October 29, 2019 at 9:13:31 AM UTC-6, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
[...]

Thanks John!

I didn't use a spreadsheet, but I did create a word processing document that has a full set of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's) for each update. This includes the steps involved and links to relevant webpages for updates.. An import last page for the document is the date of the last update and current versions you have. This helps to check where you are each year.

Once a year is too far apart to remember all the steps involved in all the software and firmware updates without good documentation.

Old October 29th 19, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Tuesday, October 29, 2019 at 8:13:31 AM UTC-7, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
[...]

Thanks John! I will definitely build on your template. I have been looking for a way to organize this mess. BTW, how do you like your TrafficView 57? I have one as well. I like the functionality, but I find the set too small for my 60 year old eyes to see. I suggested to LXnav to make text (mostly the bottom lines) bigger/bolder.

Matt
Old December 1st 19, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

[...]

Yeah, it's a quagmire out there, for sure. I went to a full glass cockpit in my new ASH31Mi. I simplified the problem by sticking to three instrument manufacturers: LXNAV, Garmin and Trig. LXNAV provided the glide computer (LX9070), which has a good user's group. I will add their wi-fi adapter next year so I don't have to deal with SD cards. Garmin provided the PFD (primary flight display), which replaced all of the old steam gauges. Trig provided the radio and transponder, and solved the ADS-B out issue. I also had Schleicher install all of the instruments, and they did a GREAT job. This isn't an option for you, so it is either a DYI job or find an avionics shop. I also switched to LFP batteries with a total of 32 AHr of capacity. This is a MUST for a glass cockpit as my typical current draw is 1.9 A. BTW, I also have PowerFlarm, but I don't call that an instrument.

I have flown with this setup for an entire season and LOVE IT! About the only thing I might add is a dedicated Flarm display.

Tom
Old December 1st 19, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobWa43

On Tuesday, October 29, 2019 at 1:47:17 PM UTC-4, Tim Taylor wrote:
[...]

Would it be possible for you to post a copy of your word processing document?
Old December 1st 19, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Saturday, November 30, 2019 at 11:47:35 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:
[...]

Any pictures, please?
Old December 1st 19, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 7:34:49 AM UTC-7, BobWa43 wrote:
[...]

Send me an e-mail at ttaylor07 at gmail
Old December 3rd 19, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Saturday, November 30, 2019 at 9:47:35 PM UTC-8, 2G wrote:
[...]

What Garmin product are you using for PFD? Do you not even have an airspeed steam gauge ?

Updating Oudie [email protected] Soaring 0 July 14th 18 01:29 PM
XC Skies GFS not updating JS Soaring 4 June 2nd 16 10:34 PM
OLC Not Updating [email protected] Soaring 4 October 14th 10 11:04 PM
Updating B-100 Paul M. Cordell Soaring 2 November 12th 04 03:10 AM