Gel coat removal - is this okay?!?

Old July 9th 15, 11:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

Default Gel coat removal - is this okay?!?

Never seen gel coat removed via pneumatic razor blade. Looking at the surface it would appear this has taken off the veil cloth with the gel coat. Any experts care to comment as to the validity of this method / post operating room safety / airworthiness?

2C
Old July 9th 15, 11:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

Sorry no link

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dEzrBVdB2P8
Old July 9th 15, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 6:54:38 AM UTC-4, Kevin Christner wrote:
Never seen gel coat removed via pneumatic razor blade. Looking at the surface it would appear this has taken off the veil cloth with the gel coat. Any experts care to comment as to the validity of this method / post operating room safety / airworthiness?

2C

not the preferred method. if i had done that, i'd think about squeegeeing some epoxy resin into all those pinholes. either way if it was going to disintigrate in flight, it would've done it by now. i would go the traditional sandpaper route though, more fine control. are you going to refinish something?
Old July 9th 15, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 6:54:38 AM UTC-4, Kevin Christner wrote:
Never seen gel coat removed via pneumatic razor blade. Looking at the surface it would appear this has taken off the veil cloth with the gel coat. Any experts care to comment as to the validity of this method / post operating room safety / airworthiness?

2C

The complication comes in when you get to the areas that don't peel. Removing the gel from those areas without damaging the area you just peeled is tricky.
The easiest peel takes the top layer of glass off which is easy to do if you get it wrong. It comes off in sheets when you do this. If it comes off as chips, it;s just gel.
UH
Old July 9th 15, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Aw, man, I miss Jim Wynhoff. He was innovative and energetic and always upbeat.

I chatted with him for a while about the technique shown. He knew what the risks were, he had mitigation plans, and the result stands for itself.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old July 9th 15, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Removed very old gelcoat that easily before, but no power tools needed. Just a paint scraper and next thing you know it's 4AM and you're still laughing at the gelcoat easily falling off.
It's amazing that particular glider could still fly with the unlogged amateur combat repair found under the gelcoat on one wing.

Unfortunately Uncle Fuzzy isn't around to comment on his technique used in the video. I did get to fly that glider prior to refinish and with him after the refinish. Before refinish you could easily cut yourself on the cracks.. Pieces of gelcoat would come off if poked. Nice job.
Jim
Old July 9th 15, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Yes, I miss Jim and his inventive ways. I have always thought we should be able to build a gelplane for gliders. Very fine adjustments to allow leaving a thin layer of gel coat but remove the bulk of the material before using the sanders.

Old July 10th 15, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

and deprive Andy of his daily allowance of Gel Coat Dust???
Old July 10th 15, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Tim, I looked at a gelplane in action at a boat repair facility "down the shore" a couple of years ago. On the face of it, it's an attractive option. However, I think the challenge is that in my experience, the gelcoat thickness on a glider wing varies considerably. I'm sure you've noticed places where you can almost see the glass or carbon cloth through the gelcoat and others where it's completely opaque. I don't know how you'd avoid lopping off some of the outer layer of skins. I have heard that one or two shops in Europe have some experience with them, so maybe there's something to it?

P3
Old July 10th 15, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

JW was a master at anything he touched. Fiberglass, welding, plastics, motors, it did not matter.
That gelcoat was flaking off the wing, it just needed a little encouragement. The pin holes were filled before the poly paint and sanding.
The finish is factory perfect, actually better than factory. There are YouTube videos of the glider after the work was completed.

It is a joy to fly.
You will also find videos of Jim flying his beloved Speed Astir, "UF", hence the Uncle Fuzzy monicker.
Jim is surely missed.

BillT

Gel coat removal - water sanding vs. straight line sanding LS3 Pilot Soaring 45 February 15th 10 03:32 PM
Gel coat inspection Matt Keast[_2_] Soaring 12 October 26th 07 09:14 PM
Gel Coat Question Gary Emerson Soaring 2 September 12th 07 11:56 AM
Gel Coat for Dummies Ray Lovinggood Soaring 12 December 24th 04 01:12 AM
Gel Coat for Dummies Ray Lovinggood Soaring 2 December 12th 04 08:15 PM