Gel Coat for Dummies

Old December 12th 04, 05:36 PM
Ray Lovinggood

Default Gel Coat for Dummies

Help.

I want to repair some self-inflicted wounds on the
leading edges of the wings on my LS1-d. The wounds
were created when getting the wings out from and/or
putting them back into the definintely non-Cobra/Komet
trailer. While not a Cobra, it is a 'serpent' type
of trailer, but more of a intestinal 'tape worm'...

I scraped off little bits of gel coat from time to
time and I want to reapply gel coat. Fill the little
divots and sand them off.

But, how do you sand the leading edge? These divots
were probably no more than about 50 mm long for the
largest and no more than about 10 mm high, again for
the largest. Others are smaller. And, they are right
on the nose of the leading edges.

I've begun the work with some gel coat and I've sanded
it down, but wondering what the 'right' way would be.
What size sanding block to use? I'm using a milled
piece of wood that measures about 75mm wide by 15 mm
thick by about 450 mm long and wrapping a sheet of
sanding paper around it.

My sanding movements have been parallel with the leading
edge, trying to keep the sand paper right over the
gel coat which 'stands proud' above the surrounding
areas.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old December 12th 04, 07:38 PM
Stewart Kissel

non-Cobra/Komet
trailer. While not a Cobra, it is a 'serpent' type
of trailer, but more of a intestinal 'tape worm'...

That's not Bela's old trailer from Colorado is it?

Old December 12th 04, 08:15 PM
Ray Lovinggood

Stewart,

An undated note in the glider's log book says the trailer
was built by John Byrd.

There was a glider trailer recently listed and sold
on Tim Mara's web page that looks like it came from
the same gene pool. Tube type, but a boxy tube, tilt-bed,
and with the wing tips going in first, not the roots.
Also, no cargo door up front. While it looks VERY
similar, mine looks funkier.

Anybody got a Cobra or Komet they want to sell???

Better yet, give away???
:-)

Ray Lovinggood
Cobra-less in Carrboro, North Carolina