Yahoo groups shutting down

Old October 28th 19, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Yahoo groups shutting down

On Sunday, October 20, 2019 at 11:50:36 PM UTC-7, Patrick McMahon wrote:
On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 2:40:53 PM UTC-6, Luke Szczepaniak wrote:
Looks like yahoo groups are shutting down

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html

"Yahoo has made the decision to no longer allow users to upload content to the Yahoo Groups site. Beginning October 21, you won't be able to upload any more content to the site, and as of December 14 all previously posted content on the site will be permanently removed. You'll have until that date to save anything you've uploaded."

I know there are several owners groups hosted on the service. I guess we need to start looking at alternatives.

Luke

Switch to Slack - move conversations into targeted projects, faster 1:1 or 1:many chat, inegrate with Google.

Due to lack of activity, rather than migrate I deleted the Region 12 Yahoo group today.
R12 pilots can still use the Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/Region-12-S...0543575346351/
Jim
Old October 29th 19, 08:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Am Freitag, 18. Oktober 2019 21:08:02 UTC+2 schrieb JS:
On Friday, October 18, 2019 at 10:33:20 AM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Friday, October 18, 2019 at 9:58:07 AM UTC-6, JS wrote:
We had been looking at Groups.io for over a year, since a previous hiccup in Yahoo groups.

The groups.io migration was pretty quick and very easy.

Because of the different layout of the two sites, links in your Yahoo group end up in Databases in the new group. Easy to clean up by using folders, but best to have all links in a folder under the Yahoo links tab first.

You may have to rebuild your calendar.

Messages seem to post instantly, compared to the sluggish Yahoo server.
Jim

What about the import of files and photos?

Frank

Files and photos, and all old posts imported.
For many aircraft-specific groups this is a must. Too much information to lose.
Jim

Hi

we are in a Yahoo Group which writes about DG self starting planes. We want to import all the files and pictures into our new group here in Google Groups. How did you manage this? Andreas
Old October 30th 19, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Tuesday, October 29, 2019 at 1:56:27 AM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

There's no provision for files or photos storage in USENET groups, which rec.aviation.soaring is. Google groups that are not USENET groups allow attachments to e-mails.

groups.io allow importation of a Yahoo Group, for a paid subscription (at least for the first year). There are others Google services which allow for file and photo storage, like Google Drive and sites.google.com, however, a high use of Google services can leading to throttling. Someone who knows more about Google services may comment more on this.

Frank Whiteley
Old November 16th 19, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

I thought it might be useful to list all the soaring related discussion groups in one place, it is hard to find all the aircraft specific email lists if you don't know where to look.

Please add your group to this list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Chris

Yahoo groups inop? JS Soaring 4 March 23rd 17 12:21 AM
Another vendor gone - Ken Brock shutting down Richard Riley Home Built 0 December 20th 05 07:50 PM
296 keeps shutting off Robert M. Gary Piloting 5 January 20th 05 05:11 AM
Palm.net is Shutting Down Judah Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 5th 04 07:25 PM
Palm.net is Shutting Down Judah Piloting 1 August 5th 04 07:25 PM