A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

If you were planning a Safari...

Old October 19th 19, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

Default If you were planning a Safari...

....through SoCal for a few weeks with your glider in tow, where would you stop to fly? I want to plan this for next spring, taking a few weeks to wander through the best spots to soar down there.

Thoughts?

Matt
Old October 19th 19, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, October 18, 2019 at 8:39:46 PM UTC-6, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
...through SoCal for a few weeks with your glider in tow, where would you stop to fly? I want to plan this for next spring, taking a few weeks to wander through the best spots to soar down there.

Thoughts?

Matt

Minden - then Ely, NV
Old October 19th 19, 07:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]
external usenet poster

Matt, partly it depends on the months of the trip, and the number of fly vs tourist days you want.

Tehachapi is open many days a week. The site offers thermalling exits to the Sierra, the transverse ranges back to Santa Ynez/Hollister, and the 'death dive' into the San Joaquin with some days a return. On lovely mountain wave days they often decline to tow, having capping over issues.
Town services adjacent 2-3 miles.

Crystal is open many days a week. Thermalling, shear line flying on both ends of the San Gabriel's- with exits north to Sierras or NE to Lost Wages being the most popular routes. Town 10 miles.

Santa Ynez seldom tows other than Sat/Sun. Thermalling north and northeast both doable. Marine air washes in pretty heavy. Wave from either north or south ranges.
Town close & expensive.

Inyokern is a club. Will tow SSA members. Usually weekends only, some Fridays. Town 10.

Warner Springs in NE San Diego county offers thermalling to the N, into the desert for strong xc pilots. Some wave. Open 7 days. Town 15.

Lake Elsinore and Hemet have 2 strong clubs. Maybe not mentally set up for 'outside' towing. Thermals/convergence.

You can get contact info for each site thru Where To Fly map on ssa.org.
To see what style flying from each, use site names on OLC and look at local flights.

Region 12 has a huge variety of soaring depending on season. Welcome!

Cindy B
Old October 20th 19, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

On Friday, October 18, 2019 at 11:32:53 PM UTC-7, CindyB wrote:
Matt, partly it depends on the months of the trip, and the number of fly vs tourist days you want.

Tehachapi is open many days a week. The site offers thermalling exits to the Sierra, the transverse ranges back to Santa Ynez/Hollister, and the 'death dive' into the San Joaquin with some days a return. On lovely mountain wave days they often decline to tow, having capping over issues.
Town services adjacent 2-3 miles.

Crystal is open many days a week. Thermalling, shear line flying on both ends of the San Gabriel's- with exits north to Sierras or NE to Lost Wages being the most popular routes. Town 10 miles.

Santa Ynez seldom tows other than Sat/Sun. Thermalling north and northeast both doable. Marine air washes in pretty heavy. Wave from either north or south ranges.
Town close & expensive.

Inyokern is a club. Will tow SSA members. Usually weekends only, some Fridays. Town 10.

Warner Springs in NE San Diego county offers thermalling to the N, into the desert for strong xc pilots. Some wave. Open 7 days. Town 15.

Lake Elsinore and Hemet have 2 strong clubs. Maybe not mentally set up for 'outside' towing. Thermals/convergence.

You can get contact info for each site thru Where To Fly map on ssa.org.
To see what style flying from each, use site names on OLC and look at local flights.

Region 12 has a huge variety of soaring depending on season. Welcome!

Cindy B

Hey Cindy, thanks for all the great suggestions. I plan to go in the spring next year. I am a reasonably experienced XC pilot, with a Diamond, and a dozen regional contests under my belt.

Matt
Old October 20th 19, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.
external usenet poster

You might consider Hollister Ca as well.

There are some good flights posted on OLC out of that location. I used to fly with B.A.S.A. out of noth California.
Old October 21st 19, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, October 20, 2019 at 12:37:16 PM UTC-7, Mike N. wrote:

There are some good flights posted on OLC out of that location. I used to fly with B.A.S.A. out of noth California.

Matt, I assume you going to be in socal anyway during spring and want to find out where to soar there. I would consider Santa Ynez and Warner Springs. Otherwise, if I recall correct you live in the Bay Area, and I dont think there is a match anywhere to soaring in northern california during spring (March to May). You get fantastic soaring from Williams, Hollister, Byron, and Avenal during spring. Spring is usually too early for the Sierras and the deserts.
Best time for safaris to SoCal and all over the west is summer.

Ramy
Old October 22nd 19, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac
external usenet poster

On Friday, October 18, 2019 at 7:39:46 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
...through SoCal for a few weeks with your glider in tow, where would you stop to fly? I want to plan this for next spring, taking a few weeks to wander through the best spots to soar down there.

Thoughts?

Matt

Crystalaire! http://soaringacademy.org
Old October 30th 19, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 3:43:12 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
On Sunday, October 20, 2019 at 12:37:16 PM UTC-7, Mike N. wrote:

Matt, I assume you going to be in socal anyway during spring and want to find out where to soar there. I would consider Santa Ynez and Warner Springs. Otherwise, if I recall correct you live in the Bay Area, and I dont think there is a match anywhere to soaring in northern california during spring (March to May). You get fantastic soaring from Williams, Hollister, Byron, and Avenal during spring. Spring is usually too early for the Sierras and the deserts.
Best time for safaris to SoCal and all over the west is summer.

Ramy

Thanks Ramy. I will keep summer in mind. This would be a trip specifically to fly. I have an RV, so I can just camp on site for 2-4 days in each place. I do indeed live in the east bay, and I have flown all the northern Cal places you mentioned. Great spots!