Looking for articles on flying OLC. Performance optimization.

Old October 24th 19, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Default Looking for articles on flying OLC. Performance optimization.

I am looking for articles / videos on how to compete well on OLC.

How to get the best scoring, What type of tasks are better than others, or just working in OLC flying in general.

Any links to articles or videos, or whatever would be useful.

For others as well as myself I'm sure.
Old October 24th 19, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 11:20:34 AM UTC-7, Mike N. wrote:
I am looking for articles / videos on how to compete well on OLC.

How to get the best scoring, What type of tasks are better than others, or just working in OLC flying in general.

Any links to articles or videos, or whatever would be useful.

For others as well as myself I'm sure.

Big FAI triangle, and "OLC slut" at the end if it was an undercall.
Then the chicks and paparazzi won't leave you alone.
Think of the sponsorships!
Like someone did for a laugh a few years ago in Germany, upload flights as flown in a Grunau Baby!
Jim
Old October 24th 19, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Go for the creative challenge. "Gimme an 'O'!"

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....tId=1203531327

Still waiting on the "L" and the "C" :-).
T8
Old October 24th 19, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

While funny, neither of these replies are helpful.

So do I just wander around as best I can or are there actually any strategies?

Yes, I get triangle, no I'm not looking for OLC groupies, I'm really interested in pushing and enhancing my limited skills by perhaps pushing some goal orient flights.
Old October 24th 19, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 3:32:00 PM UTC-4, Mike N. wrote:
While funny, neither of these replies are helpful.

So do I just wander around as best I can or are there actually any strategies?

Yes, I get triangle, no I'm not looking for OLC groupies, I'm really interested in pushing and enhancing my limited skills by perhaps pushing some goal orient flights.

Best way would be to buy a back seat ride in an Arcus, let the seasoned veteran do all the flying and then upload the flight as your score. I do believe that someone described this as the Shill ride.
Old October 24th 19, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Try flying FAI badge flights.Â* Have an observer and get your badges!

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 24th 19, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 1:32:00 PM UTC-6, Mike N. wrote:
While funny, neither of these replies are helpful.

So do I just wander around as best I can or are there actually any strategies?

Yes, I get triangle, no I'm not looking for OLC groupies, I'm really interested in pushing and enhancing my limited skills by perhaps pushing some goal orient flights.

Hi Mike,

From a mediocre pilot-

Have fun learning.

To me OLC is free form soaring. Follow the cloud streets if they are there, while maximizing your allowed legs. Fly with more experienced pilots once in a while, if they are willing. Pay attention to time circling and speed between thermals while flying and when critiquing your flights. Note which clouds are forming or dissipating go for the ones forming. Windward sides under a cloud streets are often the best track to cruise. The weather is constantly changing-pay attention to the changes. To close your triangle you must land back at your takeoff point.

Mike

"4"

Old October 24th 19, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hey Mike,

Most of the task optimization for OLC is site and weather specific, so any answer will only address a few general points.

To maximize OLC points, you need to understand the scoring formula.

For Distance, it optimizes your six longest legs (in sequence). So if you're planning a flight on the ground or in the air, just realize you have up to six turnpoints to work with and try to plan the course that will get as much distance as possible.

If you complete a FAI triangle within the flight, it will give you a small bonus. To get the bonus, you have to remember to close the triangle. This ones is easy to mess up... you tow to a thermal several miles away from the airport, do your flight and then make a final glide back home... forgetting that you need to get to your release point to close the final leg. Your final fix also needs to be within 1000 meters altitude of your starting fix.

For OLC League, it will score your fastest 2.5 hour portion of your flight. It optimizes this over 4 legs. (You can't just yo-yo back and forth up a 5 mile cloud street for 2.5 hours...)

That's really all about it. If you want more detail on the rules, see https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....rules_overview

Good luck and have fun.

All the best,
Daniel

Old October 25th 19, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Dan, Mike, Martin,and Daniel.

Thanks, actual useful data.

I appreciate the information.