Looking for articles on flying OLC. Performance optimization.

Old October 25th 19, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Default Looking for articles on flying OLC. Performance optimization.

Weather was mentioned as a factor in scoring

I'll be flying in Florida as often as weather allows all winter.
We don't get thermals high AGL often, but we do have days where the lift is almost everywhere.

Just wondering how that factors?

I'll go read the articles mentioned.

I am going to make some badge attempts as well, height goals likely being more difficult to obtain here

Old October 25th 19, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Looking at past years high scoring flights will probably be helpful then talk to those pilots. Might be hard to get a monster size triangle in Florida but yo-yo flights might be better.
Old October 25th 19, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 1:20:34 PM UTC-5, Mike N. wrote:
I am looking for articles / videos on how to compete well on OLC.

How to get the best scoring, What type of tasks are better than others, or just working in OLC flying in general.

Any links to articles or videos, or whatever would be useful.

For others as well as myself I'm sure.

As an SSA member, you can run searches of archived Soaring Mag articles on the OLC (the search engine is fine, but the results displayed are not so easy to navigate, IME). For example, Bill Hill started a series of OLC related articles in 2016.
Old October 25th 19, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 2:47:58 PM UTC-5, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 3:32:00 PM UTC-4, Mike N. wrote:
While funny, neither of these replies are helpful.

So do I just wander around as best I can or are there actually any strategies?

Yes, I get triangle, no I'm not looking for OLC groupies, I'm really interested in pushing and enhancing my limited skills by perhaps pushing some goal orient flights.

Best way would be to buy a back seat ride in an Arcus, let the seasoned veteran do all the flying and then upload the flight as your score. I do believe that someone described this as the Shill ride.

If that's what defines an OLC cheater, then mea culpa. When I fly the back seat of my friend's Arcus, he logs the flight into OLC via either his acct or mine, depending on who did the majority of flying. Didn't realize you had to fly the front seat and own the glider to make the logs legit. .....and the last time I tried to pick up a woman at a bar using my OLC bragging points, it cost me a lot of green and my wife still didn't want to go home with me!
Old October 25th 19, 09:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Wedgwood[_2_]

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 8:20:34 PM UTC+2, Mike N. wrote:
I am looking for articles / videos on how to compete well on OLC.

How to get the best scoring, What type of tasks are better than others, or just working in OLC flying in general.

Any links to articles or videos, or whatever would be useful.

For others as well as myself I'm sure.

Get Condor and spend the winter practising against the best pilots in online competitions. If you can get into the top ten doing that you'll be in great shape for next season. You may have to fly at odd times though, because the best pilots are flying in EU time zone.
Old October 25th 19, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 9:48:00 PM UTC-4, Duster wrote:
On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 1:20:34 PM UTC-5, Mike N. wrote:
I am looking for articles / videos on how to compete well on OLC.

How to get the best scoring, What type of tasks are better than others, or just working in OLC flying in general.

Any links to articles or videos, or whatever would be useful.

For others as well as myself I'm sure.

As an SSA member, you can run searches of archived Soaring Mag articles on the OLC (the search engine is fine, but the results displayed are not so easy to navigate, IME). For example, Bill Hill started a series of OLC related articles in 2016.

Great idea, I will do that. Thanks
Old October 25th 19, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

On Friday, October 25, 2019 at 4:00:39 AM UTC-4, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 8:20:34 PM UTC+2, Mike N. wrote:
I am looking for articles / videos on how to compete well on OLC.

How to get the best scoring, What type of tasks are better than others, or just working in OLC flying in general.

Any links to articles or videos, or whatever would be useful.

For others as well as myself I'm sure.

Get Condor and spend the winter practising against the best pilots in online competitions. If you can get into the top ten doing that you'll be in great shape for next season. You may have to fly at odd times though, because the best pilots are flying in EU time zone.

Also a good idea I will follow up on.
Old October 25th 19, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, October 25, 2019 at 8:17:21 AM UTC-5, Mike N. wrote:
On Friday, October 25, 2019 at 4:00:39 AM UTC-4, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 8:20:34 PM UTC+2, Mike N. wrote:
I am looking for articles / videos on how to compete well on OLC.

How to get the best scoring, What type of tasks are better than others, or just working in OLC flying in general.

Any links to articles or videos, or whatever would be useful.

For others as well as myself I'm sure.

Get Condor and spend the winter practising against the best pilots in online competitions. If you can get into the top ten doing that you'll be in great shape for next season. You may have to fly at odd times though, because the best pilots are flying in EU time zone.

Also a good idea I will follow up on.

On the Condor contest front, US Nightly Soaring flies at 9pm EST every day except Monday. On Monday, there is Monday Night Soaring at 7pm and 10pm.

Winter is coming... time to get the joysticks out.

All the best,
Daniel
Old October 26th 19, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, October 25, 2019 at 8:59:25 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Look at the flight in your region for OLC Champion for the last few years. Study the winner's and runner up's posted 6 flights to see where they went, how fast, what time of year and their circling percentage. Call them up and have they tell you what's important to get a high score IN YOUR REGION. Turn in all of your flights. Start early and decisively even under a low basis. Watch the sky, call other clubs on the radio while you are up to get their conditions. Fly long legs without deviations, course changes cost you time. Decide to turn for home when you can still safely do so. Try to minimize your circling percentage, this will make you faster (Speed OLC) and allow for longer distance flights.
Have fun...
Herb, J7