Seller's Beware of Scammers!

Old October 27th 19, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Seller's Beware of Scammers!

I know this has been discussed previously, but I wanted to bring this topic up again so it remains fresh in seller's minds.

I recently listed my sailplane for sale on Wings and Wheels. One "buyer" contacted me via the W&W response tool and offered to buy my sailplane "sight unseen", "no inspection", and to be "picked up by a shipper". At first I scoffed at this approach to buying a sailplane, since over the years I have purchased two sailplanes, and I wouldn't think about buying one without much closer pre-purchase scrutiny. Nonetheless, I negotiated with this person who was "buying the sailplane" for her husband. I queried "her" regarding her address, her husband's name, the shipper's name, etc. And with each question I asked, the responses were slow in coming, or never provided. The queerest effort this person made was actually to send me a check via FedEx, and the check was made out for $5,200.45 more than the selling price. The kicker was that this "buyer" wanted me to deposit the check, and then provide the "shipper" with $5000. And the $5,200.45 was to be a USPS money order (not , not a personal check, nor a bank check, or certified check. I purposely lead this scammer along as long as I dare, but the "this is a rip off" signs were there from day 1. Just for your perusal, the buyer said "she" lived in the Chicago area, and provided a name of a person living in "Bellwood, IL". The "check" I received was printed on a personal computer, and was riddled with typos. The buyer's messages frequently used phrases that didn't seem "American". The check was sent via FedEx from a Wanaque, NJ address, which incidentally was the address for a courthouse annex. The check was supposed prepared by a BB&T bank in Kernersville, NV, and it displayed the name of "Corilam Fabricating Co, Inc”, in Kernersville, NC. This scammer was all over the place regarding where "she" lived and did business, and banked (Illinois, New Jersey, North Carolina ....). As a warning, depositing a fake check in the amount of thousands of dollars or (tens of thousands!) may result in felony charges, and may get the federal government involved in the case as well. In many states, the line between misdemeanor and felony check fraud is drawn around $500.00. Had I attempted to deposit this fake check, I would have been in serious trouble, and the scammer would walk away with no concerns. Needless to say, once I exposed this individual as a fake and scammer, the buyer tried to lay a guilt trip on me for thinking "she" was such a person, but after I indicted I was providing all the correspondence to "the authorities", the scammer ran away. You've heard it before ... if it sounds too good to be true, or smells like a rat, it's probably a rat looking to chew on some of your hard earned money. Don't be a victim.
Old October 27th 19, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Good update and reminder.

As to Wanaque, NJ, that is literally just down the road from me (furthest part of that town is within 6 miles from me...). Would have been fun to tell the buyer that a "friend of yours" would hand delver your check to speed things up!
LOL.......
Old October 27th 19, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Saturday, October 26, 2019 at 7:17:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Did you forward all this to the local police, FBI, or US Postal Inspectors? This is serious mail fraud, and everyone involved needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, including the mule that was cashing the checks they wanted you to issue. You would be doing the mule a HUGE favor, as she is probably heavily involved in similar other scams, which will inevitably result in her personal bankruptcy.
Old October 27th 19, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, October 27, 2019 at 8:27:49 AM UTC-4, Mike Schumann wrote:
[...]

I've had friends get ripped off before (other scams/theft) and the authorities don't seem interested in helping "the little guys". They have politicians to "protect" and other worthless endeavors. So, no, I will just frame that "check" to remind me to be on my guard about any type of long-distance transaction.
Old October 28th 19, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, October 27, 2019 at 5:27:49 AM UTC-7, Mike Schumann wrote:
[...]

The local police, FBI, USPS, etc. are not interested in investigating these scams UNLESS you have actually lost money. The FBI will tell you to report it to their online scam website - been there, done that.
Old October 28th 19, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, October 27, 2019 at 9:42:55 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Can a wire transfer be faked?

--
Dan, 5J

These scammers will not do a wire transfer because they have to come up with real money - they stick to the fake cashier's checks. Obviously, there are enough idiots that keep falling for these scams that they keep doing it. At least you can make them waste money on sending you these phony checks by Fedex.
Old October 28th 19, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

It's amazing to me that aircraft owners with above average inteligence would get scammed.
Boats or cars yes, but not aircrafts.

But if you find joy having the scammers send you a check be sure to make them send yet another check because the first one was "damaged", the "wrong amount", or "lost" - and yet another check, and yet another. It's fun to scam the scammers!
Old October 28th 19, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Exactly! make the work, and spend money for no return. I once had the scammer send me, by post from dubai, 4 seperate checks. It only cost them about 70 cents a letter but its time consuming for them as well. Maybe they will get tired Oh and by the way, I offered to the bank, HNBC, and authorities to help them prosecute in any way. No interest

CH
Old October 28th 19, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

http://www.glidersource.com/scams.shtml

It's always a good idea to reread the glidersource info on scams when you post anything for sale.

Paul A.
ASW-19
Jupiter, FL
Old October 28th 19, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

And here is one of the very best scam the scammer events of all time which involves getting a tattoo of all things! Enjoy.

https://419eater.com/html/okorie.htm

Scammers on the glider market Roel Baardman Soaring 5 April 13th 12 02:08 AM
the scammers are kicking into high gear Tim Mara[_2_] Soaring 3 July 27th 09 03:22 PM
Questions To Ask Sailplane Seller ContestID67[_2_] Soaring 2 May 10th 09 05:42 PM
Beware these scammers goneill Soaring 1 April 8th 05 11:19 PM
Sales tax due from seller? Nathan Young Owning 13 February 20th 04 04:30 AM