A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

ClearNav 2 PSA (slooooow response, and a fix)

Old October 28th 19, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

Default ClearNav 2 PSA (slooooow response, and a fix)

There's a bug in the current CN2 software release that over time turns into a serious performance problem. The cause is simple: some of the diagnostic logging functions used in the software development process didn't get switched off for the public release. Over time, the diagnostic file gets big and the time required to append this file gets outrageous.

The work around is just as simple: run the updater as though you were adding waypoints or airspace (you don't need new files on the USB, just select e..g. "waypoints" and run the updater). This will remove the diagnostic files and restore performance.

best regards,
Evan Ludeman
Old October 28th 19, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]
external usenet poster

Thanks for that info Evan!

I noticed on my last flight that it took eternity for the
CN2 to boot up.
Old October 28th 19, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Thanks Evan.Â* I followed that advice last month at your suggestion.

Having spent a career as a systems engineer and my wife as a software
and systems engineer, I just have to ask:Â* How about a new release with
the diagnostic software turned off?Â* It's ridiculous to ask the
customers to jump through hoops as a work around to poor configuration
control.

On 10/28/2019 6:08 AM, Tango Eight wrote:
There's a bug in the current CN2 software release that over time turns into a serious performance problem. The cause is simple: some of the diagnostic logging functions used in the software development process didn't get switched off for the public release. Over time, the diagnostic file gets big and the time required to append this file gets outrageous.

The work around is just as simple: run the updater as though you were adding waypoints or airspace (you don't need new files on the USB, just select e.g. "waypoints" and run the updater). This will remove the diagnostic files and restore performance.

best regards,
Evan Ludeman

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 28th 19, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I can't speak for Evan, but if I were in ClearNav's shoes, I'd worry about all of the non-technical users who tremble and groan each time they have to update to a new release. Asking them to perform an operation they're more comfortable with may be a nice interim solution until a new point release is justified for other reasons. Even if a new release is on the way, this gives users a quick solution until they can get help to do the update.

I'm not a ClearNav user (though I like my CNv vario) but each year we see posts from PowerFLARM owners who encounter problems updating their software--or who don't know how because they only do it once a year. To a systems engineer, this is trivial. Correction: it should be trivial. The most dangerous words in IT are "it SHOULD work" (followed closely by "that shouldn't happen," "never seen that before," and "works on my machine"). I've worked in IT for 20 years so I'm familiar with the gap in understanding between technical personnel and users. They just look at things differently and often with different skill sets and perspectives. If ClearNav users were all connected online and ClearNav could push a new release unilaterally, different story.

If I were a ClearNav user, I'd be annoyed at the bug but happy there's a relatively easy workaround.

Chip Bearden
JB
Old October 28th 19, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, October 28, 2019 at 5:08:34 AM UTC-7, Tango Eight wrote:

The work around is just as simple: run the updater as though you were adding waypoints or airspace (you don't need new files on the USB, just select e.g. "waypoints" and run the updater). This will remove the diagnostic files and restore performance.

best regards,
Evan Ludeman

Didn't notice, updating airspace and waypoints regularly. Things change!
Jim